TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #381
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Can't wait to hear your feedback on the mods!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #382
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thank you!
Curious to see how much the dsc helps with the front turn in delay. Might still need a front bar but keeping factory spring rate should help with daily duty.

Brakes are the largest need here but also the most expensive to do right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:34 PM   #383
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Brakes are definitely the biggest expense to do right, but sooooo worth it. Even on the street!
Old 06-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #384
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Can't wait to hear your feedback on the mods!
Installed the APR SCU on my mk7.5 R on Sunday. Have to say that it works very well. The shocks now feel much more "relaxed" in comfort mode and the pogo effect of race mode has all but gone away too.

Brake dive is gone, turn-in is improved and the car stays flat.

You don't see a ton of reviews on this on the forums so I wanted to post one here. If you have DCC on factory dampers and springs this controller is a great option.

Happy to answer any questions. I didn't change the base map since i'm on factory dampers and springs. I didn't test out Comfort vs. Normal mode, only Comfort vs. Race and found both to be a nice improvement.

Also installed the full Racingline R600 intake kit to the turbo. Notice louder turbo noises but nothing annoying. Lack of throttle response below 2k rpms which didn't exist before. Think it's giving that motor more air than it knows what to do with on the factory tune. Can't say I'm as thrilled with this box as the controller yet.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #385
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Few Updates since last post

- Purchased RS3 air ducts for the front brakes, need to install them - fairly straight forward as the later mk7.5 R models have a slightly modified control arm to accept this Audi part easier.
- Purchased the MK8 rear control arm air guides again - this time from Cars245 who I used for most of this OEM+ build. No ETA but saves some cash and is dependable vs. the ECS Tuning attempt.

It's been 3 years now with the CSS parts on the car. (milestone!) Still the best money I spent on the car.

Car updates

- Found error codes with OBDeleven tied to the dynamic tailights. Turns out those are normal and due to the module being a lower level than the one expected for those lights in the EU. (not worth a swap). No dash lights or DTCs or anything like that - but they're registering with the car.

- APR SCU (DSC unit - too many acronyms!) doesn't register itself on the CANBus, throwing an error in OBDeleven too. Also, not registering on the dash. This means that to view any logs or to understand what map I'm on, etc. I'll need to log with a PC and the APR/DSC software suite. Since I have a mk7.5R, I have the 5Q0 gateway module that DSC developed this controller for, so I *should* still have all 3 suspension modes selectable from the interior switch. On older 3Q0 gateway modules, it's been shown that the controller only works for 2 of 3 modes. My butt dyno says I've retained all 3, but without access to the controller with OBDeleven, I'll need a PC laptop to verify that I am getting all 3 modes like APR and DSC say these will.

- EQT Tuning/Cobb AP - After hooking up a battery tender, I flashed on EQT's stage 1 tune for 93 octane, then after driving the car and getting it hot, I flashed on their DSG tune. The ECU tune is very smooth and A LOT more powerful than stock. With the R600 and this tune, turbo flutter occurs below 2k rpms if you use stock levels of throttle. Easily avoidable with a downshift. At high RPMs, I had breakup like the car hit the rev limit. However, this has seemingly gone away with more time driving on the tune. With that said, the EQT grounding kit and one step colder spark plugs are on my list for items to get next to help with spark at higher RPMs. My current OEM plugs have 3k miles on them so they're not cooked but as a precaution this seems prudent to do next.

The DSG tune meanwhile is perfectly done. The tune without the DSG tune was off... hard to explain, but wrong RPMs at the wrong time. With the DSG tune, it feels like OEM again with how shifts are spaced apart properly for the power curve. It also has helped mitigate the flutter issue by keeping RPMs higher in each gear and downshifting sooner with throttle input.

I'm really enjoying the car - these latest changes were mental barriers more than anything for me because i was so focused on building the OEM+ build. Feels kind of dirty throwing on aftermarket parts to it, but I looked at the calendar recently and realized that I've owned this car for over 4 years now. If not now, then when? 2026 is when the factory warranty runs out. I think waiting 4 years is good enough for modifying such a tune-friendly platform. This car is legitimately quick now (high 3 seconds 0-60, low 12's 1/4th at 110+). Handling-wise, it's pretty hard to get the car to understeer now with all of it's grip. I mean you'd have to really drive like an asshole to get it to understeer. That's saying a lot for a Golf. The APR SCU has helped with turn-in, which is one of the OEM+ weaknesses (it drove like a sticky gummi bear.), but a front sway bar may come in the future to help with that even further.

Once I put on the odds and ends of the ducts and air guides, I'm going to get the front brakes addressed and then an intercooler and charge pipe kit to help with repeated pulls/braking with this power level around track.

I also see a future with grabbing a pair of Recaro wingbacks for the front seats - but that's Akra money so it'll be next year at best. Stock dampers and spring rates are still perfect for daily and fun.

Thanks for reading - for photos check out my instagram @19_lapiz_r

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-11-2023, 11:52 AM   #386
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

ECS sucks. Doubt you'll notice any difference on the brakes other than a bit better cooling, but still nice upgrades!

Interesting that they log codes for all of those issues, modern cars are so complicated, generally overly so...

Have you messed with the DSC tuning yet or is that not really an option on the rebranded APR model?

Aftermarket tunes are always somehow a bit of a disappointment versus OEM refined tunes, sadly.

Transmission tunes are almost always massively better than stock on the other hand, not surprised that it was such an improvement! Almost every modern vehicle *needs* a transmission tune.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #387
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
ECS sucks. Doubt you'll notice any difference on the brakes other than a bit better cooling, but still nice upgrades!

Interesting that they log codes for all of those issues, modern cars are so complicated, generally overly so...

Have you messed with the DSC tuning yet or is that not really an option on the rebranded APR model?

Aftermarket tunes are always somehow a bit of a disappointment versus OEM refined tunes, sadly.

Transmission tunes are almost always massively better than stock on the other hand, not surprised that it was such an improvement! Almost every modern vehicle *needs* a transmission tune.
Yeah, a part of me was thinking I should try Shenandoah on the CSS brakes with the RS3 cooling to see how it does, but then again, I toasted them good at Jefferson which felt like a little shorter track. (could be wrong here).

Turns out the CSS brakes were done to make the CSS as lightweight as possible, but were absolutely cooked after just 2 laps of the Ring. With VW money, you just keep swapping on new ones to get the record laptime, but for me...not reasonable haha.

So many codes, so many modules....modern cars are going to be a **** show in 20 years when you try to service them.

Haven't messed with the DSC tuning yet because I need a PC laptop. The APR controller has it's own rebranded DSC software that will work just fine. I already know to zero out the accel tables because apparently they were tuned before launch control was sorted out. I think APR/DSC have kind of left this platform behind and didn't address that change in their base map. Not hard to fix with a laptop, just need to buy one.

Agreed - now that i've had more time with the tune and have even done a full 3rd and 4th gear pull, it's not breaking up anymore or giving me any issues. It's very smooth and the turbo noise is amazing now with the R600. Sounds like a massive woosh of air that i haven't heard before from a turbo.

Also - just installed the rear LCA aero parts. It took longer to put the car on ramps.

Internet reviews say less noise from the rear of the car, better high speed stability, smoother on the highway and somehow helps/hurts handling.

I'll throw out the handling reviews because that sounds like complete nonsense to me, but i can say the placebo effect is strong on the rear noise and smoother highway ride. Not bad for $30 or whatever these cost. Cars245 also threw in extra pushpins for free, which came in handy when i lost one in the drivers side LCA.

Photos on my IG @19_lapiz_r

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-17-2023, 01:51 PM   #388
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like the CSS brakes are a downgrade, haha.

I could have sworn APR just came out with that setup for the suspension, but maybe IG just spamming me since I looked at your post.

Glad to hear the tune is working properly now. Guess it learned the fuel trims and knock retard and such.

The air deflectors look good, I'd imagine they do help aero and could in theory reduce rear end lift but... yeah idk how you'd quantify that.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #389
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Sounds like the CSS brakes are a downgrade, haha.

I could have sworn APR just came out with that setup for the suspension, but maybe IG just spamming me since I looked at your post.

Glad to hear the tune is working properly now. Guess it learned the fuel trims and knock retard and such.

The air deflectors look good, I'd imagine they do help aero and could in theory reduce rear end lift but... yeah idk how you'd quantify that.
They're a step above the factory rotors and pads - better cooling for the rotors, higher coefficient on the pads....but they just are undersized for the weight of the R and even the GTI over several laps. Put them on a mk2 and you're probably very happy haha.

Yeah - they did about 4 months ago? Just not spending much time on it it seems. No map updates or new maps since launch.

Yeah - i do need to run some logs to be certain but i'm comfortable with how it's running now - it's a very quick little car.

Thanks - right, how would it be quantified. I just have learned that with handling it's impossible to listen to forums.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #390
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Wow no updates since July!

- The DSC unit burned out on my car and was defective after 3 months, giving me error codes on the dash. APR offered a full refund, which I took them up on.

- Swapped back in the OEM unit and my 18" wheels for winter. Can tell a difference in turn-in without the DSC controller, the ride is also not as controlled or flat but it's OEM so no error codes.

- To combat the OEM tuning of the controller, I've ordered the matching SuperPro 26mm front swaybar and endlinks. I've been hesitant to do this for ride quality concerns but the front end needs some more roll control with the grip that the CSS parts give it.

- I have the RS3 air ducts and Racingline coolant hose waiting to be installed. The coolant hose is purely cosmetic. The brake ducts I attempted to put on when swapping wheels but wasn't having much luck.

- I ordered the EQT grounding kit, new oem coils and a set of colder range spark plugs. Turns out, the plugs are two steps colder when I only need one step. So I'll need to reorder these.

Changed my dealership for servicing over to Hendrick - they're doing a great job - gave the car a fresh alignment (wasn't needed so they refunded me), did an oil change and replaced the OEM spark plugs with a fresh set (wasn't needed but puts off the plug swap a few k miles).

Odds and ends -

My order for a new drivers side headlight was cancelled, was out of stock at the online dealer. Will try again.

The control panel in the door for the folding side mirrors rattles a bit. Needs some felt tape on the inside.

Still have the rear USB panel to install but held off with a toddler now riding back there. One less thing for him to break.

The leather on my steering wheel, DSG shifter and seats is starting to get glossy. Adam's leather cleaner isn't enough to get it back to matte. Might replace the wheel and shift knob with a new set as i hate glossy leather. My wedding ring has also made some cuts to it by accident, which is just annoying

Ordered some lapiz blue touchup paint...no ETA. There are quite a few nicks and chips to the paint on my car that i'm going to need to have professionally repaired.

Need to log the EQT tune. Have yet to do that since flashing it. No DTCs or any weird issues to report, so just trying to be more thorough. Will also tell me how the OEM plugs are doing (since EQT recommends one step colder plugs with all of their tunes - unlike other tuners). I'm curious because 99% of the time, i'm commuting in traffic with some fun blasts here and there....nothing prolonged. Wondering if I'd need the plugs one step colder, would that get fouled out with that kind of driving cycle.

IG has a lot more content but less written explanations for everything. @19_Lapiz_R

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-03-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #391
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

If you really want to get into MQB platform data:

https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/

Focus is on GTI but a lot carries over to the R (bar/spring rates may differ).

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-08-2023, 11:31 AM   #392
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The R is at GMP for the front swaybar install this morning.

Front swaybar on the MQB requires removal of the subframe and the connected LCAs to remove/replace. This also means that an alignment is required afterwards.

Not a job I want to do on my back in the garage

While they have the R on the lift, they'll also be adding the RS3 ducts for the front brakes.

That leaves the coolant hose, plugs, coils and grounding kit left for me to do. (perfect for the winter break).

Photos will be posted on my IG @19_Lapiz_R

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-09-2023, 10:38 AM   #393
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Sad news to report:

GMP no longer has the quality of workmanship I expect on my cars.

The front swaybar and endlinks took them an entire day to install and it’s done poorly. The bar and endlinks are loose, with clunking and rubbing noises. This passed their techs inspection.

Not only that but they “found” a tear in my front LCA bushing (the upgraded Clubsport S solid rubber one to be exact) and strong armed me to replace them with OEM.

My car is now worse having been there.

The estimate doubled by the time I left too.

I’m furious.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-29-2024, 08:18 AM   #394
Elysat
Noob-Jersey

Member #29627

Send a message via AIM to Elysat Send a message via Yahoo to Elysat
Have you considered reaching out to other car enthusiasts or forums for recommendations on reputable shops in your area with a proven track record for quality work on the MQB platform?

Elysat is offline   Reply With Quote