TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #41
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
for sure, its a shame Sti's are my dream car, the used prices make it difficult to justify buying one though. 20k for a 10-13 year old car.... might as well buy a new one.... heres to hoping the 2020ish revamp brings back the hatch
Dont you talk like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #42
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

did some updates on the truck this weekend. I am working to have my manifolds cast as one piece to meet demand and got my first sample recently. Before i could think about selling these, it needs to be run through some testing. I also used the manifold swap to move my wastegate to the turbine housing, as well as welding a cast elbow to the turbo for easier intercooler piping. here is some pictures of the manifold and fabwork.

all done

I also installed a new factory lower valence. the original had been cut by the previous owner for a front mount. I dont think it was ever in any other photos, but the truck looks much nicer now.

future plans are to do some rust repair on the bed and respray. Other then that just going to enjoy it, fun little sleeper!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #43
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

not sure why all the photos are sideways, oh well....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #44
95naSTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #6568

My Ride:
95 Bonnie, 98 i30, 07 Ducati Monster S2R 800

Pretty rad you're getting those cast. Out of curiosity, can you share any basic info on how you were able to get that done?
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #45
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95naSTA View Post
Pretty rad you're getting those cast. Out of curiosity, can you share any basic info on how you were able to get that done?
i was very lucky, i contacted a friend of a friend who does this sort of thing for a living, he offered to help me through the process free of charge. He has really been the communication link between me and his contacts for which i will be forever grateful. Fingers crossed this thing holds up, because i would honestly have to give it up otherwise.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #46
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

That manifold is a nice piece. I work at a manufacture with a foundry so if you have any questions maybe I can help. There must be some demand if you can justify casting, so good work. Out of curiosity what material did you use? I understand if you don't want to divulge those kinds of details.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 AM   #47
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
That manifold is a nice piece. I work at a manufacture with a foundry so if you have any questions maybe I can help. There must be some demand if you can justify casting, so good work. Out of curiosity what material did you use? I understand if you don't want to divulge those kinds of details.
to completely honest i have no idea. its steel, and seems to weld okay (one of my requirements). supposedly this foundry does exhaust products for OE and aftermarket companies. so what ever it is, it seems to be decent.

My internship also does alot of work with US and Overseas foundries, so ive been fortunate enough to get advice from some of my mentors on what to look for.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #48
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

got some parts in recently, just need to find the time to install everything.

big transcooler, rust repair panel,factory fender flares, new single fuel pump (ditching the PO dual cx racing units) and filter. should be fun!

thinking about plasti-dipping the truck since the exterior of the truck is spray painted by the previous owner. But also not sure I want to spend the money doing that.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #49
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

How many of those cast mani's did you get?! Sell me one to test!
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #50
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15psi88 View Post
How many of those cast mani's did you get?! Sell me one to test!
just the one. Should have the batch in the next month or so. maybe we can work something out then
Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #51
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

finally had some time to work on the truck now that school is officially over and i've settled into my new job.

The first thing I wanted to address is the coolant overflow tank; The factory one no longer fit great because the turbo sits in its original spot. I had it temporarily tied up with zip ties out of the way which worked fine but looked awful. I had planned on fabricating my own, but ended up finding this Moroso one for $100 which is much cheaper than what I could have made one for. I was able to cut a lot of hose out and I think it really cleaned things up! I hope to work on this every sunday until its nice enough to sell lol. On to trans cooler and new fan shroud next week!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #52
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Congrats on graduation man! I'm stoked to see progress on the truck. What's next after you sell it?
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #53
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Congrats on graduation man! I'm stoked to see progress on the truck. What's next after you sell it?
Thanks! And maybe a cheap Miata. But more than likely a house and engagement ring lol
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #54
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Thanks! And maybe a cheap Miata. But more than likely a house and engagement ring lol
Where are your priorities!

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #55
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Where are your priorities!
Lol i know right, im pretty sure i threw up in my mouth when i typed that. Im attempting to "live" purely off manifold money and save 100% of my day job. Enough people turbo their trucks maybe ill have some money for a project
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #56
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Lol i know right, im pretty sure i threw up in my mouth when i typed that. Im attempting to "live" purely off manifold money and save 100% of my day job. Enough people turbo their trucks maybe ill have some money for a project
That's awesome actually, if you can support your habit with your habit. I cant believe there are that many people turboing their trucks. Sloppy mechanics really created something I guess.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #57
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

worked on the truck a bunch a few weeks ago, finally got around to posting pictures. New fan shroud and trans cooler set up. I need to rewire the fans and then plumb the trans lines, maybe this weekend.

built a frame from aluminum angle

added some sheet metal

bought a big and expensive fan and traced the dimensions

plasma cut

mount everything up and pop rivit together

all done
Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #58
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Got the truck dyno'd today. Made 400 whp and roughly 375 wtq on 6-8 psi. Since i'm likely selling this soon I opted not to have Matt do pulls at full boost (14 psi) I think its running the best it ever has.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #59
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

If you post a burnout vid, I'll post a burnout vid..... just sayin'
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #60
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride: