TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #21
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
That stinks I see now how the new intake will work. There's not much of an intake tract, ha. Did the parts come in yet?
Not yet, they're supposed to arrive today, but with the blizzard, most likely Wednesday. It would have been a quick and easy project in the garage while the city is shut down.

I haven't been able to drive it in almost 3 weeks due to the weather and temperatures. I'll probably start it up today and drive it around the garage lot for a little.

It would be great if it made more power, but from what I've been reading, the 3.6L is pretty tapped out from the factory. Some aftermarket companies claim 30hp from bolt on's, others dyno test 10-12hp from everything. My friend has his entirely done up (same year and engine) and he says he can't tell a difference in power.

Most likely, I'll just end up swapping on 19's and Michelin PSS's and hitting the track with what it's got. I don't see a huge need to fix anything, it's already sorted out right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #22
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Ah, sucks. I figured you'd have had them before the blizzard hit!

Should make more noise with the new intake, which is good

If you decide to get to the track, post up ahead of time. I'm looking to do track days when it warms up! I'll likely need to blow a bunch of money on making my brakes not suck... The joys of not owning a car that's track ready right out of the box Slightly envious, haha.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #23
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ah, sucks. I figured you'd have had them before the blizzard hit!

Should make more noise with the new intake, which is good

If you decide to get to the track, post up ahead of time. I'm looking to do track days when it warms up! I'll likely need to blow a bunch of money on making my brakes not suck... The joys of not owning a car that's track ready right out of the box Slightly envious, haha.
Haha, nope! But it was close...

Here's a pic of the installed intake:

The new intake does enhance the engine sound. Makes it a bit deeper around 3k, then from 4k on up it adds a growl to the motor. I'm a big fan!

Ok, I will. I'm going to head to the PCA Brunch here in Fairfax the second weekend of this month to meet some local members and inquire about their autocross and HPDE days (what's needed, etc).

I want to autocross my GTI too, it'll be a lot cheaper to run than the Porsche, haha.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 02-25-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #24
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That definitely opens up some area in the bay. I wonder if it helps keep things cooler not having all of that plastic, lol
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #25
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

still no flares?
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
JRickson
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #26897

I can get you an exhaust system for far less then $8,000

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in replacing the exhaust or doing an x-pipe, headers, tune, etc.
JRickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That definitely opens up some area in the bay. I wonder if it helps keep things cooler not having all of that plastic, lol
Honestly not sure...

There's a strong resonance coming into the cabin prior to 3,000 rpms. Above 4,000 RPMS, there is a very loud induction noise that has a growl to it. It's a very nice intake box.

I really doubt you'd find any power gains on a dyno with this intake. I know that there are a lot of manufacturer claims on the internet for aftermarket parts on the base engine Carrera, but I'm admittedly a skeptic.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #28
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavillac95 View Post
still no flares?
road flares or fender flares?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #29
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRickson View Post
I can get you an exhaust system for far less then $8,000

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in replacing the exhaust or doing an x-pipe, headers, tune, etc.
Danke shön, I'll let you know if I decide to modify the car for power. Right now, I'm focused on tires and brakes.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #30
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Fixed the infotainment in the 911 with a Kenwood DDX unit and the MOST adapter for the Bose amp and speakers. I used the Del Rey customs stereo install kit and am very happy with how plug and play the installation was. Here are some photos showing the install. My Porsche now has SiriusXM, HD Radio, Bluetooth Audio, Pandora, and Apple Car Play. I'm very excited to be able to drive the car once the weather improves and really use the headunit on road trips

Here's the original PCM 2.1 Navigation system:

The maps aren't really the best in 2016...

Out it goes with a friend's excellent help:

Stages of install:

Before/After:

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #31
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow, that's a heck of a difference. I guess the maps are more 2016 quality?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Wow, that's a heck of a difference. I guess the maps are more 2016 quality?
Thanks! It really is all the car needed to me. Apple maps are still pretty bad, and I use google maps over Bluetooth more than anything (rerouts away from toll roads and accidents/slowdowns - HUGE for up here and Apple does neither), but the maps are much clearer and precise. I would take a photo but when you load the camera app, car play kicks you back out to the main menu.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #33
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

lol, can't post pics of ricers you see as easily now, oh noes
Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #34
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
lol, can't post pics of ricers you see as easily now, oh noes
Haha, if I tried to keep up with something like that, I'd run out of memory on my phone

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #35
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Haha, if I tried to keep up with something like that, I'd run out of memory on my phone
I've given up bothering. I see the same riced out cars constantly. Not worth taking pics of the same trash heaps...

I found a free pic of a ricer though in my thread, hehe
Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #36
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I've given up bothering. I see the same riced out cars constantly. Not worth taking pics of the same trash heaps...

I found a free pic of a ricer though in my thread, hehe

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #37
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

After buying the Porsche and driving it around for awhile, I realized that while the car was loud inside, that wasn't because of the engine or exhaust. It was instead coming from the tires.

In an effort to hear more of the mechanical nature of this car, I installed the EvoM air box. It has made a nice difference in the way the induction noise of the motor sounds...and it sounds glorious.

However, the exhaust still sounds a little anemic considering the profile of the car. Here enters the choice of mod vs. money.

Step one:
Will this make more power that is repeatable outside of a vendors dyno chart?

Step two:
Will these gains be worth the money spent?

Step three:
What do I really want out of this?

The answer on the 3.6L is 1.) Not much, if any 2.) Nope 3.) Sound!...Glorious large displacement flat six engine sound!

Here is what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5OlmR76rQ

As you can see in the comparison, the factory exhaust is kind of....eh. Built for emissions, safety and decibel standards, it isn't the most imposing factory exhaust.

However, with a quick change to the muffler...you get the Fister or Gundo hack!

This allows the car to sound much more like the corner carving German that it is.

Typically, you have to send Darrin Fister your core muffler to have the modifications done. I didn't want to do that. He also provides an option where he can send you mufflers that he has done. That increases the price...quite a bit. (Understandably, since its not like you can find many used factory 2005-2008 mufflers laying around).

Enter Rennlist. I was able to secure myself a set of these mufflers with coating and the tips from the Carrera S (don't get me into a discussion on exhaust tips, please) for less than half of what it would have cost me to get a set from Darrin.

These units look great, minus road grime and I'm excited to polish them up and install them with basic hand tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5OlmR76rQ

Oh yes, this will be worth it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #38
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Well that should sound freaking awesome! Love the flat 6 sound. It makes it easier to drive too, don't forget that
Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #39
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Great looking car, my ultimate dream car is a 997.2+ Turbo S, but they're about $25k out of my price range. I also dabbled in getting a 14+ Carerra, but i think im almost 100% sold on a Jaguar V8S F-Type.

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #40
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiousCK View Post
Great looking car, my ultimate dream car is a 997.2+ Turbo S, but they're about $25k out of my price range. I also dabbled in getting a 14+ Carerra, but i think im almost 100% sold on a Jaguar V8S F-Type.
Thanks!

Eventually, I'll grab a 997.2 S or GTS, but yeah they're $25k out of my range right now. I've seen some lower priced 997.2 S's around, but going to give it another 2-3 years before I make the leap.

/
/
/
/
/