TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #21
Munky
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3838

My Ride:
2013 Ram Blackout Express Quad Cab, 96 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 98 Nissan 240ss Never going to run

Nice car and build up. I never looked twice at these until I started my new job and one of my co-workers has a real nice FXT. With all those guns in the back tho it seems like you need to come visit the TST Official Gun Thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Already posted in the TST gun thread :-D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
I commend you on being so persistent, at least your in good hands now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
Had some more fun at the machine shop today.

Rod bearings were chewed up due to poor clearances.... Cylinders were very out of round. How can a shop say (accordingly to their site) "Custom built to exacting tolerances." Ummmmmmmmm right. I don't bash shops but this is bull****.

My machine shop re-polished the crank to new.. Which looks amazing! Rods are getting fixed as well.
New heads are completely ported IN HOUSE.. some quick pics.

previous "ported" heads just had the exhaust lightly (mind you poorly) ported. No work to the intake where it really matters.
Only thing Im waiting on is new intake valves to come in then the heads are getting built.

/updates for now
Well, can't say im surprised about the new bad news at the beginning of the post, but i must say i'm pretty god damned excited about the port job on those heads. What i can't remember though is if we ever ported my intake manifold to match the awesome flow my heads are going to have now
g00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
maxpowr
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7540

My Ride:
5/01 wrx 257 v5 heads id 1000s 6 speed rotated 30r

good luck to you and your subaru in the future goofy...wow what a nightmare you have lived through...

i still find it hard to believe your street spec block was not assembled properly.
maxpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
I may be wrong but I thought that I read that the glass beading still stuck in the heads is what wiped out the bottom end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowr View Post
good luck to you and your subaru in the future goofy...wow what a nightmare you have lived through...

i still find it hard to believe your street spec block was not assembled properly.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Yea, the glass beads shreaded the main bearings, the rod bearings.apparently suffered a different fate, and the cylinders were pretty outta round... I wouldn't have believed it was assembled wrong either, I thought outta my whole build my short block was the one thing I did right...

then i got pm'd by another user on a different forum who asked about my motor cause, he saw two other street spec blocks fail from seized rod bearings, and wanted to know if my block suffered the same fate...

I'm actually kinda glad things worked out the way they did, or else I would've been driving down the road one day, a rod bearing would've seized, and id be in worse shape then I am now...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Well, I think i finally hit rock bottom, I don't think there's anything else that could possibly be wrong to set me back any further. So now it should be all positive progress from here on in, my intake valves came in, my new (old OEM) heads are ported and getting a valve job done now, my block & crank seems to be straightened out now, so I'm hoping it's only a matter of time and i won't have to worry about any more new problems popping up. Although I think i might lose it if i get 1 more text message that says "hey call me there's a problem," money is getting too tight, and I worry that the trans in the daily driver I've been borrowing is getting ready to crap out.

Last edited by g00fy; 02-15-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00fy View Post
Well, I think i finally hit rock bottom, I don't think there's anything else that could possibly be wrong to set me back any further. So now it should be all positive progress from here on in, my intake valves came in, my new (old OEM) heads are ported and getting a valve job done now, my block & crank seems to be straightened out now, so I'm hoping it's only a matter of time and i won't have to worry about any more new problems popping up. Although I think i might lose it if i get 1 more text message that says "hey call me there's a problem," money is getting too tight, and I worry that the trans in the daily driver I've been borrowing is getting ready to crap out.
Im glad that your taking the high road with this, keep your head up man. It'll all be worth it in the end

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
oooooooooooh quite cryin :P

you're in good hands dude..

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #31
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
oooooooooooh quite cryin :P

you're in good hands dude..
I know I'm in good hands, it's just been a very long and expensive road, and Elmo's trans acting up isn't helping my state of mind.

oh btw don't forget to get me some more pics of the crank and wasted rod bearings today, and have you heard anything on my turbo?

Last edited by g00fy; 02-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Ryan has jumped in and saved the day with my WRX more times then I can count lol. Keeping an eye on the thread for progress, can't wait to see it on the road.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #33
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Ryan was always super cool and nice and had no troubles explaining things to me. I haven't been down to the shop in a LONG time because I've done nothing with the WRX and it hasn't broke... yet. When things go drastically wrong with my Subaru, he'll be the first and only person I'll call to get it fixed. I had a dream the other night that we converted my automatic WRX to RWD... what a bad ass dream.

g00fy - your story is crazy and unfortunate. Thankfully the car is being built by a solid business and super knowledgeable people. Hopefully your car will last you many years to come!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Updated the mod list with coming soon mods, Also i'm kicking around if i should get an aftermarket oil pick-up? After all the time and money into this thing i want to take as many preventative measures as possible.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #35
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Do it, don't even think twice about it. I shopped around and went with this one:
http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

If you find yourself at Area1320 Ryan has mine sitting there.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #36
g00fy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19541

My Ride:
05 Subaru Rhombus XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
Do it, don't even think twice about it. I shopped around and went with this one:
http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

If you find yourself at Area1320 Ryan has mine sitting there.
Cool man if i get out there in time i'll check it out
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

SWEET !!!

Another Subie trucklet found a home with Ryan @ Area1320 !!!

You're DEFINITELY in good hands

You seem to have luck similar to mine. (if not WORSE :shocked

It's a great feeling to roll out of there after the build is finished...... it's even better when a year passes by with no issues

Good luck with the build !!!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
maxpowr
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7540

My Ride:

i put the covert oil pick up in my build from josh at import. the subbie pick up does fail. plus it was half the price of the killerB. looked good, fit perfect and 5k later has not failed.

i'm curious how you broached your engine failure with dave at rallispec and what his response was. its really not like not to stand behind his work. 3 failures out of 100 steet spec blocks sold isn't really a terrible ratio. sure zero is better, but some many different things can cause a failure. nothing personal to 1320, but i'd like to see evidence that this failure was caused by improper assembly. we are all human and mistakes "can" be made, but daves skill, experience and knowledge is up there with the best of the subaru mechanics out there today and its not his style at all to send something out that wasn't perfectly assembled. the blame game helps no one. broken motors dont help anyone either but maybe something can be learned from g00fys misfortune.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

If I'm dropping a couple grand at a shop & there's a 3% chance of failure built into the equation...... I'm going somewhere else......
3 out of 100 IS a pretty lousy ratio.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #40
maxpowr
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7540

My Ride:

but isn't there a 100% "chance" of failure with any motor built completely with aftermarket parts, that is attempting to almost double its designed horsepower output.

i'm this game knowing that at anytime i could have a catastrophic failure. i don't expect it to last more than 10k without a rebuild anyway, but its not like i bought an oem engine.
to me it became a toy when i removed OEM from the equation. i assembled everything on my car myself, so i would have no one to blame though.

truth is i doubt there is a shop on the planet that has built high performance engines and has a 100% success rate, there are just too many variables to be considered after the engine is built and installed.. don't be the guy thinkin "it can't happen to me". unless of course its the first motor the shop has built and the engine has been running for 5 minutes.

funny thing is if the boost control hose pops off or the oil pump failed or an injector stuck open or a fuel pump failed, its not likely we will know definitively caused the failure. be nice if 1320 could show us what went wrong though.