TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Domestic > Ford Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Difference between Long Tubes and Shorties

I have a 2002 Mustang GT and I've been looking around for headers since I'm thinking about getting my exhaust done. A question I have is what's the difference between the long tube and shorty headers? I've been trying to figure out the difference but have had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
dude, this isnt off topic. please post in the appropriate forum next time...
bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
You pretty much supplied your own answer.

Longtube/shorttube means the length of each primary. On shorttube (like stock exhaust manifolds) the primarys are really short and the collect very close togehter. Longtube, each primary comes almost to the firewall before meeting the others.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Ok I knew that part so much, I was just curious if there was any other difference I was missing at all. Thanks.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

i'm sure it has to do with turbulence in the exhaust flow. i'd imagine that long tubes are less turbulent because the collector is farther down the pipe, but i'm sure you'll get a more solid answer from someone with real experience with a normal non-horizontally opposed engine.
bryan

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 01-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Silver04STi
Tri-State Addict

Member #94

My Ride:
2005 Legacy GT

Send a message via AIM to Silver04STi
From what I can remember from my mustang days:

Long tubes make more power if you have a higher HP car or want to extract every bit of performance, but if you are just going to have a mildly modified car, use shorty's plus installation is easier. Then there's the battle of equal length vs unequal length shorty's? Equal length make more power because the exhaust gases arrive in the collector at equally space times reducing back pressure generated by the other cylinders using the same collector. Equal lengths are more difficult to install than unequal lengths and provide limited access to spark plugs and bolts. With equal lengths you get more heat in the engine compartment than you would get with unequal.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

Long tubes get you more grunt out of the hole. If Hooker make a set of Comps or Super Comps for your car, get them. Its that simple. You cant go wrong with long tubes and a large collecter.
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #8
Bizee
Tri-State Addict

Member #210

http://www.corral.net/forums/

the search option. use it. learn. go fast
Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #9
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

i'm pretty sure the point was to get an answer on this forum, not give a link and say 'search'
thanks though...

|

Quote:

|
Old 01-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Bizee
Tri-State Addict

Member #210

it depends on his combo and his intentions with his car. which is why i would search the corral forums because there are 100's of threads on there about that topic alone that he could probaly learn alot from. Maybe he should search those forums, find the info that he was looking for and post here his results for anyone else curious.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
WhiteFiveO
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #245

Send a message via AIM to WhiteFiveO
Long tubes deff have more down low power and are a better header then the shorty, but on a 00 and up mustang the engine must be raised to get the headers on. Its a very hard install and expensive if you have someone else do it. If you have the money go for it. Even shorties are verry hard to put on those cars. Just my 2 cents tho
WhiteFiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

you will make more whp and tq with long tubes than shorties. since fords love the x pipes the longtubes really wake up v8 fords. shorties are more for inexpensive, easy installs. if your serious about making more power throughout the entire rpm range, long tubes all the way. most chevy owners have to use an X pipe with their long tubes but the cars arent designed for the X pipes so they have very little ground clearance. if you wanna but out the money for long tubes you wont be dissapointed.
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

and yes the install on fords is extremely difficult
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote