TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

boost levels?

hey, now i was always under the assumption that the stock boost level, on a 2003 wrx was around 13.5-14psi, but i installed a psi boost gauge in my wagon, and am getting some crazy readings, like 14psi in 1st, and close to 19psi in 3rd. now i did hook up the new gauge to the factory boost gauge line, could that be the reason for these odd readings?

and just for the record, i haven't used a mbc, but do plan on getting one real soon, what psi is safe to run on a stock wrx turbo?

thanks
joe tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
what brand gauge? i dont think its reading right. you should hit 9ish psi in 1st and 2nd, and a max of 14.5 or so in 3rd, 4th, 5th. if its more than 1 psi off from there then somethign is up.
is your engine completely stock?
and fyi you will hit boost cut at 18 psi with no other mods, and you'd know if it happend.
bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

its an autometer, ultra light comp? i think...

i do have an sti intercooler, sti injectors, magnaflow tbe, and k&n (typhoon) cai, but i don't think that any of that would effect boost level, right?

i was just re-checking installation instructions, and i think i need to use the supplied hose, rather than the factory hose, it seems like it would secure a better connection to the back of the gauge.

hmm...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:44 AM   #4
stichris
Tri-State Addict

Member #125

Send a message via AIM to stichris
A bad connection wouldn't make it read more boost. Do WRX'ers usually run larger injectors without engine management?
stichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #5
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

i'm not sure, i bought it this way, my gas mileage sucks balls. i want em, but as always, i'm broke.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

Those are some crazy reading. With a down pipe some people have said that you may gain 1 psi but thats normally a spike then it levels off again. My readings are right around 14. As far as adding a boost controller goes I would do some research first. Wrx's have a prob with partial throttle full boost which isnt good. Also, the stock td-04 efficiency range is up to 17psi, after that point you are just pushing to much hot air.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Send a message via AIM to the mike Send a message via Yahoo to the mike
You should read no more than 14.5 psi or so.
With an MBC you should safely be able to boost to 16.5. Just do a search on NASIOC for "PTFB", or part throttle full boost. THat would be your only other concern.
CarWidow might have an MBC she isn't using, she's on the fence about putting it on. I'll let you know.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
GSXDCY
Tri-State Addict

Member #236

Send a message via AIM to GSXDCY
the exhaust and intake could be making the car boost creap
Old 05-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Yeah, but like Troll said fuel cutoff is around 17.7 psi. You would know if you ran into this, feels like the trans fell out.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #10
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

hmm... you should really look into that larger injector thing... as far as i know its is not possible to correctly run a car with sti injectors but no engine management. maybe your car has some sort of engine management? if not its dumping about 25% extra fuel into the mix without realizing it.
if you need some wrx injectors we could always trade :D.
bryan

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
You know that Autometer boost gauges are off by 1 psi right? The only accurate gauges are the expensive ones like Defi. As for it reading 19, I have no clue on that. I have the same boost gauge if yours is boost/vac? I would check the line if I were you and make sure your connections are right where that T is (if it's boost/vac). Chris is right though, a bad connection would not read more psi it would actually read less or not at all.
SexyDSM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

hey guys, thanks for all of the info, i fixed it though, when i used the nylon hose, i got a crimp that lead to a pin-sized hole in the line, i replaced it and now it's reading fine, right around 13-14psi.

what could i look for as a sign that my car may have some sort em?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
stichris
Tri-State Addict

Member #125

Send a message via AIM to stichris
Do front seat passengers often complain about a lack of legroom?
stichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

My guess is the car was modded with a bigger turbo at one point and was taken off to trade or sell. Probably had management of some sort too. Just a guess.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #15
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah bigger injectors basically go hand in hand with engine management and an upgraded turbo. when will you be able to make it out to a meet? myself or someone else who knows what to look for can surely give it a look over to check for signs of mods...
bryan

|

Quote:

|
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #16
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

well i was planning on going to atco this thursday, but if i get back early enough and your still at RR, i'm sure i could stop up. 2k5_tC and i were up at RR last thursday, but there wasn't much going on, and it was getting cold, so we didn't stay long. i would really appreciate if you guys could help me out :D

oh, and i peeled back the carpet, and looked for a utec, or something like that, but didn't see anything that looked aftermarket, so i still don't know about the em on my car. for what its worth, i only get like 16-17 miles to the gallon...kinda blows.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

hey i just looked at your cardomain site... thats your car right? cause there's an aftermarket turbo on there... looks like an IHI... maybe a VF22? you said you have an autometer boost gauge and thats the factory lamco gauge... lemme know.
bryan

|

Quote:

|
Old 05-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #18
joe tom
Tri-State Addict

Member #287

My Ride:
2010 Acura TSX

yeah, there was a factory installed lamco, but i just changed it out to an autometer (sorry no pics yet)

are you telling me that there is a different turbo on my car?! wow, thats cool, what is the difference between a factory turbo , and what i have on there? it does say IHI on it, although i am not sure if it is a vf22.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #19
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

I wish I had a surpirse upgraded turbo on my car and didn't know it.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

ha yeah the factory turbo isnt that pretty... if it says IHI its upgraded. that means its most likely a VF30, VF34, or VF22. the 30 and 34 are very similar, spool pretty early and are capable of about 260-280 whp or so with supporting mods and a good tune, the VF22 doesnt spool as early but is capable of 280-300 with a good tune.
dont know what you're up to today but you should try to swing by my place and i'll look over your car for you. shoot me a pm with your number and i'll give you a call if you're free today.
bryan

|

Quote:

|