TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #321
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I don't know how you have the patience to wait to install parts, haha. I'm way too impatient!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #322
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I don't know how you have the patience to wait to install parts, haha. I'm way too impatient!
<insert the getting old excuse>

I've kind of lost the motivation with cars. They're fun but expensive. I'm also realistic and going hog wild on a FWD-based hatchback probably isn't the best use of resources. Would rather put that money into another 911 or something more purpose built.

COVID driven WFH/lockdowns and a 9 month old kind of took the adventure out of me to wrench too.

Plus, kind of like having a "stock" R.. most aren't anymore.

Still wish it had the Akra though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #323
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Definitely hear you on that, it's less exciting to get out in the cold and wrench. Also makes sense to not go nuts modding a regular car. Get back in a 911, you can fit a kid in the back seats, right?
Old 02-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #324
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Definitely hear you on that, it's less exciting to get out in the cold and wrench. Also makes sense to not go nuts modding a regular car. Get back in a 911, you can fit a kid in the back seats, right?
You actually can fit a kid back there! I once rented the 911 out to a family of 3 and the small kid fit in the backseat of the 997 just fine all day they said.

Now-- finding a proper 997 has not been easy. I know what options I want this time.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #325
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow, glad to know it can actually fit a kid in the back!

and yeahhhhhh I spent a LOT of time trying to find a 981 S and it was... tough. So many options.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #326
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Wow, glad to know it can actually fit a kid in the back!

and yeahhhhhh I spent a LOT of time trying to find a 981 S and it was... tough. So many options.
Yeah, i was shocked!

bigger backseat than the Camaro has in terms of headroom and legroom. The width is the limit with the 997.

For P-cars my must have options are:
- S model
- PASM
- Sport steering wheel
- Sport seats
- Sport exhaust
- Sport short shifter (nice to have)

Other nice to haves:
- leather wrapped interior
- Adaptive sport seats

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 02-24-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #327
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I like that list. Is Sport Chrono a big deal on the 911s like it is on the Caymans?

Any reason why you want the sport exhaust instead of doing an aftermarket muffler?
Old 03-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #328
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I like that list. Is Sport Chrono a big deal on the 911s like it is on the Caymans?

Any reason why you want the sport exhaust instead of doing an aftermarket muffler?

Sport chrono looks cool but on a manual 997, it doesn’t do much.

Had the aftermarket modified muffler before….would like an option to shut it up

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #329
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Makes sense! A nicely integrated switchable exhaust is definitely nice, I liked that on the GT350 a lot.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #330
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Makes sense! A nicely integrated switchable exhaust is definitely nice, I liked that on the GT350 a lot.
It's such a great feature to have, especially on V8's

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #331
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
It's such a great feature to have, especially on V8's
Really any car, haha. I'd be totally satisfied if the BRZ had a way to make it louder from the factory but was quiet for normal driving around.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #332
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Really any car, haha. I'd be totally satisfied if the BRZ had a way to make it louder from the factory but was quiet for normal driving around.

Check out what APR just released:

https://www.goapr.com/products/engin...t_ea888_gen_3/

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #333
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
When's your kit arrive?
Old 03-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #334
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
When's your kit arrive?
It's tempting... would only need the intercooler upgrade since i have all the intake parts.

Currently after another Akrapovic...will find out total cost monday to ship it from the UK.

These are getting to be unobtanium. This one is 25% cheaper than the last one but we'll see.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #335
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Finally.

Found a lightly used Akrapovic in the UK and paid dollars to buy it.

These have become unobtainable through regular channels and were a rare item even in the UK.

My R will now have the best of everything VW ever offered on the mk7.5R on it.

My OEM+ build is complete.

More updates to come.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #336
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Pictures! Flickr fixed the UI issue, now I can link to photos again!

Includes the resonator and the back box. The resonator has Akrapovic branding on it which i wasn't expecting, thought it was just the axle back portion.

To recap, here is what the Performance Pack included across the rest of the world for the mk7.5 Golf R:

-Front drilled lightweight rotors (from the Clubsport S)
-Front brake pads (from the Clubsport S)
-Silver front brake caliper plate
-Rear brake pads (from the Clubsport S)
-Rear lip spoiler (used on the 2019 Rabbit GTI model too)
-Akrapovic catback exhaust
-Software change to remove the speed limiter at 155mph
-Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on 19" Pretoria wheels

For obvious reasons, I can't get the European software change for the speed limiter but honestly it doesn't matter. No other changes occurred with the software. I don't see myself going 155mph anytime soon with 300bhp anyway.

Some parts that I'm looking at doing post-Akrapovic (now it gets a lot less expensive again)
-Michelin PS4's for the 19" Pretorias (can't do Sport Cup 2's in good conscience)
-Euro folding side mirrors (didn't care about these until I got them on the Range Rover, definitely good to have)
-Euro dynamic tails (would match the side mirror turn signals now)
-Replace the cracked drivers side headlight (cosmetic)

Then mk8 R custom brakes...which would move the car past the generation OEM+ build.

For the rest of the mods:
- Clubsport S front hub knuckles and wheel bearings
- Clubsport S (Audi A3 too) aluminum front subframe
- ecode front strut tower bar
- Racingline rear body brace
- Superpro 24mm rear swaybar
- Superpro rear swaybar endlinks

On my shelf (might sell, who knows):
- APR Open air intake
- APR turbo inlet pipe
- Racingline inlet hose
- BFI DSG shifter
- Rear seat center console usb ports (having a kid makes me worried about doing this)
- ECS brake master cylinder brace

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 03-21-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #337
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Heck yeah! Akrapovic goodness <3
Old 03-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #338
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Heck yeah! Akrapovic goodness <3
Yeah!! This is such a relief. I was looking for the last two years+ and only got close once or twice.

I was starting to think that my build would always be incomplete since it was so hard to get one of these. That bothered me.

Facetimed the seller and compared our R's to each others. The UK got all the good stuff from VW, but the US spec is close enough in some areas. Now mine will be *perfect*

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #339
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Arrived from the UK with love this week. Installing it next week. Came shipped heavily protected in a wooden shipping crate with a ton of bubble wrap and packaging to protect the titanium.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #340
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Oh dang, that is a serious shipping container! Glad it arrived safely! Can't wait to hear how you like it.