TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #361
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Can't wait to hear the track review!

What times did you run in the Porsche for comparison?
1:54-1:56. The instructor did a 1:52 hero lap.

Looked through my posts about this weekend and the factory R did 108mph on the back straight, the 911 got up to 112mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #362
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

As posted on my IG page (@19_lapiz_r), the Michelin PS4S were delivered and installed on the 19's wheels yesterday. I'll be swapping them on next week along with getting SRF put in and the pre-track inspection done.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #363
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Score! Got a set of folding mirrors from a local VAG group for $170. Includes everything I need for the retrofit on my R except the coding (which i can do).

That leaves only the euro tails from the OEM+ build list left.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #364
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Nice, really good deal!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:16 PM   #365
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Nice, really good deal!
Yeah, was shocked!

Local shipper too

Also - I have a potential euro taillights/wiring harness/euro switch deal too. i'm #2 in line for that one. fingers crossed!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #366
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Swapped back on the 19's yesterday with the new tires.

The ride quality didn't really change much from the 18's which is surprising. I did notice some more jarring over some potholes but not as bad as the OEM tires were.

(actively trying to dodge potholes to keep the rims unbent for the track).

Braking and grip are much improved, less sidewall flex is noticeable too.

Before the track, I'm debating on putting in something else on the car. Maybe do the mirrors at GMP this week.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #367
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Fastivus has been moved to October 23rd due to the hurricane. They are also changing the track from Shenandoah to the Jefferson circuit so I won’t be able to do a like for like on lap times.

Time to get the folding mirrors installed

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #368
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Just snagged euro taillights and the wiring harness for $500. Huge savings.

Side mirrors get installed tomorrow. Then I’ll do the taillights and the OEM+ build is complete.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #369
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Fastivus has been moved to October 23rd due to the hurricane. They are also changing the track from Shenandoah to the Jefferson circuit so I won’t be able to do a like for like on lap times.

Time to get the folding mirrors installed
Boo!

Probably for the best, haha. I was autocrossing that Sunday and it was *miserable*
Old 10-10-2022, 10:28 PM   #370
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Boo!

Probably for the best, haha. I was autocrossing that Sunday and it was *miserable*
Can only imagine what a bunch of Novice group drivers would have done in it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #371
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Can only imagine what a bunch of Novice group drivers would have done in it.

Old 10-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #372
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

On my IG (@19_lapiz_r), I’ve posted video and photos of the folding mirrors. They’ve really made a difference in our garage with fitting the stroller through the middle of the two vehicles. Absolutely one of my favorite mods. Takes the car upscale a notch.

Next week, working with GMP performance on installing and coding the euro taillights. I’d attempt this install if it didn’t cut into nap time for my son. Can already tell that I’m going to love this mod too. Really brings the look of the car upmarket.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #373
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The folding mirrors seem like a REALLY nice add for a small garage.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #374
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The folding mirrors seem like a REALLY nice add for a small garage.
It's such a huge difference! Even city parking or parking lots. Much more room now.

Tracking this sunday.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #375
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Track Day - Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point

I FINALLY DID IT!!

Over 3 years since I bought my Golf R new, I was able to take it to the track.

Since I had to drive home to Charlotte, I kept it to two 25 minute sessions out there in Novice but was promoted to Intermediate. Unfortunately, did not have time to go back out there with the Intermediate class.

As everyone who reads my novella knows, my R is not stock. My goal has been to take the USA version of the Golf R and build it to have the best OEM parts available from the ROW special models for the mk7 generation.

This meant that I created a bit of a Frankenstein R. Clubsport S parts from the 2016 Ring Record GTI, Performance Pack parts from the ROW package for the R that the USA didn't get, chassis parts to stiffen the car a bit further and tires to grip better than the factory Continentals.

So how did the car do??

What went well:

Clubsport S front chassis with factory DCC suspension set to Race mode with the front and rear chassis braces and a 24mm RSB set to full stiff on Michelin PS4S tires meant the car GRIPPED. When I did lose traction, it was in the rear of the car and SO easy to bring back in line thanks to AWD.

Front end was fixed with the Clubsport parts. It did not wash out or understeer in my hands. When I had to apply more wheel in a turn (more on that later), the front end continued to hold and dig in. Credit here to the amazing Michelin tires too.

Power-wise, could hang with everything or pull on it unless the car was tuned. For example, I ran into a tuned R and got destroyed on the straights. Then with my grip could catch them in the turn, then get destroyed on straights again. Same with tuned GTIs and a tuned GLI. I had the better chassis.

What didn't work well:

Simply put - the brakes. While I upgraded to the best that VW offered with the Clubsport S/Performance Pack rotors and uprated pads at all four corners (paired with Castrol SRF fluid), it was apparent that by the end of session one, the Novice group was killing my brakes. I had to brake so much more than I would normally due to the traffic in front of me and their braking. At one point I had to drag the pads for almost half the straight into the braking zone due to the Novice drivers ahead of me.

By the end of the first session, my brake pedal had gained a half inch of sponginess and the rotors started showing rust.

This sidelined the car for a few hours so the brakes could cool off.

Quick reason why I was promoted.

Second session I had less braking due to where I was in line and the brakes worked better. Still want more out of them but they weren't a liability.

Ended the day with rusted rotors but otherwise working brakes.

Overall:

- Major takeaway from the event is that the car feels like a Gummi bear. Tons of grip and soft. Could use more brakes and handle more power. At which point the car becomes a true dual purpose track weapon.

- My racing lines are trash. I was using a mockery of 911 lines on a FWD based AWD car. This meant I was cutting turns at the wrong time, applying power a bit late and overall just not hitting turns right. The back section of Jefferson gets a little technical and missing the first turn set me up all wrong on the next 3.

- I need more seat time. Better brakes. More time in Intermediate and keep working on my hand signals.

- Car is truly amazing all-arounder. It hit 32mpg on the drive there, averaged 12-15mpg on track, then 32 mpg for the ride home.

For pics and video from the event, check out my instagram at 19_lapiz_r

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #376
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

COVID has made service schedules on the Golf be way off from what was planned.

Currently, sitting at 28k miles on this 2019 and i've just had the 40k service completed due to the age of the car, not the miles.

Engine Oil/Filter
Cabin filter
Air Filter (K&N handled that)
DSG fluid change (a big reason I pre-paid for maintenance)
Brake fluid change (already have SRF in there so kept it)
Wheel/Tire rotation (good after a track day for this FWD-bias AWD)
Recall performed for the shifter trim panel (original metal splits and cuts peoples fingers. boo hoo. new one is plastic).
New spark plugs

Also, the rear door handle has a tab/nub that comes loose so a new one has been ordered under warranty.

Powertrain is now like butter. Trans and engine are smoother now with the oil and plug change. Great timing for after a track day to have it all refreshed.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #377
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Installed the euro taillights this weekend.

They really elevate the look of the car, huge fan.

Wiring was a bit of a mess, the kit I got wasn’t for a mk7.5, so had to grab the last mk7.5 harness in stock locally.

Instructions were spot on and figured out how to route the wiring. Used felt tape to tie everything together and put the panels back.

I did snap one of the pins accidentally but it still fit into the harness and works fine.

Videos posted on IG.

Car just needs paint correction and a new headlight.

Only other OEM+ thing I can think of doing are wingback seats and maybe the mk8 R front brakes.

Neither of which fit the mk7 Gen build.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #378
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I saw the videos, looks fantastic!

Mk8 R front brakes may not be Mk7... but still OEM+ and from the sounds of it a huge improvement! The track times sound awesome especially for such mushy brakes. What pads are you using on track?
Old 12-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #379
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I saw the videos, looks fantastic!

Mk8 R front brakes may not be Mk7... but still OEM+ and from the sounds of it a huge improvement! The track times sound awesome especially for such mushy brakes. What pads are you using on track?
Thank you! Wish the R came with a PDR option

Yeah, they're 17mm larger in diameter and add a piston i believe. will come with a weight penalty of roughly 8lbs, which kind of sucks since the clubsport parts lowered front end weight by 12lbs. The benefit is that they don't require spacers with the factory wheels and will fit both my 18's and 19's.

I used the OEM Clubsport S pads. They did well!

And to help understand the difference the Clubsport S chassis/suspension changes make to the mk7, here's a great driving review article:

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/gol...ith-uk-driving

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #380
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Registered for another Fastivus track day - this year it will return to Shenandoah.

To prep for this year's run, i've placed a few orders:
- Audi RS3 brake cooling ducts (these mount to the factory front control arms and have surprising cooling effects. 24% on the rotor and 12% on the pad)
- Racingline intake box and coolant hose reroute (will complete the full Racingline intake parts collection I've traded/amassed)
- Cobb Accessport with EQT stage 1 ECU and DSG tune
- DSC controller from APR

My next purchases will be the Racingline stage 3 front brake kit and a front mount intercooler. I may grab a SuperPro front sway bar too.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 05-28-2023 at 07:56 AM.