TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #341
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Oh dang, that is a serious shipping container! Glad it arrived safely! Can't wait to hear how you like it.
Thank you!

Goes in Monday to GMP. Have asked for photos and videos too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #342
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Akrapovic installed!

I'll get a cold start video and neutral revs done soon, it's a downpour day here so the car's in the garage.

Sound-wise, inside the car you hear a bit deeper grumble that's nuanced, then at higher rpms it screams with a higher pitch than before.

Pretty mellow overall - car feels faster so the placebo effect has been fun.

So happy to have it. I've also started a dedicated Instagram for this car which you can follow at: '19_lapiz_r'

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 04-05-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #343
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
yessss!!!! looks so dang good. Can't wait to hear the videos!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #344
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
yessss!!!! looks so dang good. Can't wait to hear the videos!
Thank you! It really adds a new dimension to the car for sure. Can hear the DSG farts more now, more of a burble on gear decel and definitely a bark to the car too. All without being too loud or annoying.

Love this thing.

Videos coming, we've had several days of rain, today included so i'm waiting for a nice day to take it out of the garage and get some videos.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #345
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Video posted on my IG and YouTube

https://youtu.be/kTB48qxxk4Q

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #346
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Removed the resonator and it fixed the quiet exhaust:

https://youtu.be/0zhrTa-NabU

Now it sounds like it does in all the videos I’ve seen elsewhere from the UK.

Inside the car, it’s entirely reasonable, with the valves closed and windows up it’s pretty tame.

Race mode now sounds like a race mode. The DSG farts, pops and gurgles are in full effect at high rpm. Sounds glorious.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #347
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Looking at going to Shenandoah for track time May 22nd weekend.

Need to replace the tires on the 19’s and swap them back on. Get brake fluid flushed and an oil change.

I know a factory Golf R in VWoA’s hands did a 1:57 way back when. It’ll be fun to see what my car can do with all of the OEM+ upgrades. Collectively, they reduced the weight of the car 35-40lbs off the chassis (geek math).

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #348
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Removed the resonator and it fixed the quiet exhaust:

https://youtu.be/0zhrTa-NabU

Now it sounds like it does in all the videos I’ve seen elsewhere from the UK.

Inside the car, it’s entirely reasonable, with the valves closed and windows up it’s pretty tame.

Race mode now sounds like a race mode. The DSG farts, pops and gurgles are in full effect at high rpm. Sounds glorious.
It sounds so much better with the res delete. Guessing those UK videos didn't have the res, haha.

With the valves closed, it's surprisingly tinny outside. With the valves open it's glorious
Old 04-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #349
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
It sounds so much better with the res delete. Guessing those UK videos didn't have the res, haha.

With the valves closed, it's surprisingly tinny outside. With the valves open it's glorious
Yeah, I really love this thing. It BARKS and pops/gurgles then does the DSG farts too.

Turns the Golf R into a riot.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-25-2022, 09:31 PM   #350
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Something cool - I've now owned this car for over 3 years!

Been awhile owning a car this long haha

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #351
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Looking at going to Shenandoah for track time May 22nd weekend.

Need to replace the tires on the 19’s and swap them back on. Get brake fluid flushed and an oil change.

I know a factory Golf R in VWoA’s hands did a 1:57 way back when. It’ll be fun to see what my car can do with all of the OEM+ upgrades. Collectively, they reduced the weight of the car 35-40lbs off the chassis (geek math).
Not going to go to this event after-all as my son has been battling a cold, stomach virus and ear infection (Thanks daycare!) which means we have to push his birthday party back a weekend.

The R continues to be amazing with the new exhaust. The OEM+ part list for exterior items is consistent in my head but continuing to enjoy what I've built for the foreseeable future.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #352
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ordered a few odds and ends for the R

New drivers side headlight to replace the cracked one from highway driving. Wanted to get this asap since the passenger side has been discontinued. Not cheap but needed.

Mk8 rear control arm aero covers, lots of forum hype but aero doesn’t quite work how it’s described on those posts. Worth a try for $40 as I trust VW engineering.

Lapis blue touch up paint to repair some front bumper nicks from said highway driving. Before I moved full time to Charlotte, I did a lot of driving from Richmond to Charlotte and it hurt the front of the car (I didn’t have $3k for PPF).

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-31-2022, 01:48 PM   #353
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interesting, those aero covers certainly won't hurt anything. Highly doubt you'll see a 5% gain, if that was the case they'd be on every VW using those arms haha.

Do a full underbody aero package to optimize it

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...7-golf.320687/

Last edited by DocWalt; 05-31-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #354
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interesting, those aero covers certainly won't hurt anything. Highly doubt you'll see a 5% gain, if that was the case they'd be on every VW using those arms haha.

Do a full underbody aero package to optimize it

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...7-golf.320687/
Haha nice find but that thread is so convoluted with all of the different golf models. I think I'll stop with these for now

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #355
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Haha nice find but that thread is so convoluted with all of the different golf models. I think I'll stop with these for now
Haha. There are a lot of underbody aero things, but yeah it's complicated as hell
Old 06-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #356
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Haha. There are a lot of underbody aero things, but yeah it's complicated as hell
Yeah, it's too much... just give me a parts list to order. haha

Cancelled the order from ECS Tuning... they were 3 weeks late due to the touchup paint and wouldn't ship anything until it arrived.

Will order from another vendor.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #357
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like ECS...

They suck
Old 06-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #358
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Sounds like ECS...

They suck
Yeah, I’ve had good luck but it was all pre-covid. Oh well. Not in a rush to wrench anyway

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #359
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Two updates:

Removed the snow guard from the factory airbox and swapped in a K&N air filter. Video posted on my instagram, took me 10-15 minutes tops. Increases airflow and enlarges the airbox a nice bit. The only other restrictions to the factory turbo are the flex hose and the turbo inlet pipe which i'm not touching for a bit yet.

Lastly, the more exciting news: Heading to Fastivus at Shenandoah October 1st. Getting the PS4's installed on the factory 19's at my house (TireRack mobile install!).

Excited to get out on track with this build. Back when I was working for VWoA in 2015, we had a Product team day at Shenandoah with a variety of VWs. At the time, the then new MK7 Golf R with DSG was there and we were able to get a 2:01 out of it with 105mph on the back straight. The driver was another Product team member so i'm sure this time in the hands of an instructor would be quicker but it's a nice target for me to hit running in the Novice group this time out.

Total track time will be 2 hours - car show, meet n greet VW stuff with people the rest of the time. Very excited!

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 09-07-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #360
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Can't wait to hear the track review!

What times did you run in the Porsche for comparison?