TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

i will when i get to my home computer and can get pics off of it and not my phone, but a common misconception is that an old rusted car =rat rod and that is very untrue. like i said before most pics above are traditional rods with the exception of a few, the two cars often get confused and lumped into the same definition but in my and most people i deal with and build cars with is an unfinished looking car with the bare essentials to work and a car that looks like it is not road worthy or appear to work. i know many people have a different definition of a rat rod depending on what era they grew up in and all that but what it comes down to is basically a rat rod is a slapped together heap that hardly resembles a working automobile and everything else is a traditional car.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #22
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

I love rat rods i want a studebaker.

Well according to evomike thats not a real rat rod. in that case,dragula anyone?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #23
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

a stude is more a lead sled or a kustom dont get me wrong i love that stuff and that is why i think this should just be a rod and kustom thread that way you can post everything not just one genre of the kustom car culture.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 AM   #24
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
i will when i get to my home computer and can get pics off of it and not my phone, but a common misconception is that an old rusted car =rat rod and that is very untrue. like i said before most pics above are traditional rods with the exception of a few, the two cars often get confused and lumped into the same definition but in my and most people i deal with and build cars with is an unfinished looking car with the bare essentials to work and a car that looks like it is not road worthy or appear to work. i know many people have a different definition of a rat rod depending on what era they grew up in and all that but what it comes down to is basically a rat rod is a slapped together heap that hardly resembles a working automobile and everything else is a traditional car.
Ok see now you're contributing lol. I do know what they're supposed to be. I think the only thing you left out was traditionally rat rods were thrown together with the parts you had not what you could go buy. So if you needed a coolant overflow you didn't go to Auto Zone you went scrounging through your garage and found whatever glass container you could strap to the frame and run a hose into.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #25
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
I love rat rods i want a studebaker.

Well according to evomike thats not a real rat rod. in that case,dragula anyone?
Dragula is not a rat rod, it's a custom hot rod designed by George Barris and driven by Grandpa Munster lol

I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #26
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

yeah like alot of real rat rods have metal seats that were made and wood floors because the floor was too rotted or cut out of the car, alot run bomber seats also but its basically the bear minimum to be a working car and usually super unsafe.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #27
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

oh well then i love lead sleads.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #28
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
Dragula is not a rat rod, it's a custom hot rod designed by George Barris and driven by Grandpa Munster lol

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #29
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Thay may end up as my new signature lol

Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

Its already been said. Lots of people have lots of different definitions of a rat rod. Just because it doesn't fit your cookie cutter deffinition doesn't mean it's not. There always has to be a right or wrong? Welcome to the internet, peoples opionions differ.
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
Lol... This is almost identical to the Wikipedia definition, just reworded a bit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod Hmmm....
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #32
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

hahahahah, maybe he wrote the wiki article too? LOL

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #33
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Technically this is considered an "outlaw" but it's euro-rat rod-esque. And, it's awesome.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #34
twizhimself
Tri-State Addict

Member #950

My Ride:
2004 Subaru WRX

Send a message via AIM to twizhimself
Quote:
Originally Posted by one8turbo View Post
i think i want one
the one i posted was amazing...and it was for sale (8K i think) powered by a caddy v6, beer keg gas tank, ammo crate glove box, drive in speakers..it was sex

twizhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #35
enohand
Tri-State Addict

Member #2644

My Ride:
1996 p10

Send a message via AIM to enohand
i went to the "hot rod hoe down" @ adventurland (i thin kthats he place by woodriver village retirement home) & therre wrere a LOT of nice old RODS there....i almost bought a chopped 50 ford coupe....(no engine & trans) but then decided against it & bought a 48 panhead .....but its in ALOt worst shape then i thouguth it was...& finding OE parts is like taking a cake away from chirsty alley
enohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #36
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizhimself View Post
the one i posted was amazing...and it was for sale (8K i think) powered by a caddy v6, beer keg gas tank, ammo crate glove box, drive in speakers..it was sex
lol,
It's a v8
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #37
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Lol... This is almost identical to the Wikipedia definition, just reworded a bit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod Hmmm....
Is it I mean it's a pretty simple definintion I never read the wikipedia definition but I'd be willing to bet it's the same as every magazine definision I've read and similar to every old shool guy I know, I get y definitions from people who were building the cars in that era not wikipedia.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #38
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

And I read the definition so I said what people always
say that rat rods and traditonal rods get confused, and they have the bare bones to work i got it from wikipedia they are 2 different explinations that share a few of the same words.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #39
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

Last edited by 15psi88; 12-08-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #40
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
That's an awesome sun roof.
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote