TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Nissan / Infiniti Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
snackman508
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7494

My Ride:
1998 Honda DX turboed/ 1996 240sx RB25 in mid swap

cant pull s14 gas tank

trying to pull the gas tank out of my s14, how dose it come out. i pulled the pins in the front straps and the thing feels lose but dose not have enuff room to slide out. do i need to take some thing else out to make room?
Asher
snackman508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
ScubaSteve
Tri-State Addict

Member #2599

My Ride:
1993 s13 coupe Ka-t; 2005 Legacy GT Ltd

Sounds like the subframe needs to come out to do it.

I found this:

"Fuel Tank Replacement on S14……PICS/How to..Holla

Finally the day came for me and few of my GOOD HELPFUL friends to help replace my fuel tank on the S14 as it was leaking fuel. We replaced the soft lines before already and that didn’t solve the problem so the next big thing was it……..BUSTED FUEL TANK….

We wanted to put it a how to here for some reference as it’s a hard job to do and not a lot of info is available…….YES I SEARCHED….Shut your yap…j/k…

Here it goes……To all my friends that helped my ass as usual……I thank yah for all your help and sweat on a HOT Saturday.

1) Take off rear stabilizer bar if you have one
2) Take off the subframe’s bolts (8 in all, 4 main and 2 each on the bracket called Member Stay according to RA-4 in the FSM)
3) Disconnect the little hose venting the diff ( I have J30 diff btw)
4) Disconnect the driveshaft as well so the subframe can be dropped all in one piece including the differential. (Use tranny jackstands to help support the rear subframe and your good friends to balance it) IT IS VERY HEAVY SPECIALLY WITH THE DIFF IN IT AS WELL. We disconnected the parking brakes as well at this point since we went up to the driveshaft to take it all out. (its just easier this way)
5) Disconnect the bottom bolt on the shock absorber on both sides. Be careful at this point the subframe is totally loose and heavy and can tilt easily even with having supported tranny jack. Have few friends to help balance the weight as necessary.
6) Lower the tranny jack and have your friends (BUNCH OF THEM) pick it up and put it on the floor.
7) Inspect under the car for any other possible problems while you have a great look at the sorry ass gas tank on the S14….j/k
Open fuel cap to release any pressure inside the tank. (See FE-3 for a good view)
9) Get someone inside the car and open the access panel and MARK THE LINES FIRST and than disconnect the harness and the lines and pick up the fuel pump and assembly out of tank as well. There should be nothing connected to the body after this is done so when you drop the tank down, no harness or lines or fuel pump can possibly catch it hanging. Disconnect the soft lines on the bottom as well and don’t forget to mark them down there as well as to what they do.
10) Remove the tank protector shield.
11) Now, take off the belts by taking the clip out towards the front of the car and the belts will come loose. Have your friends help support it as its oddly shaped and could be heavy with gas still inside. ( I did not find any drain plug on the tank). Take the other belt off as well by doing the same.
12) Now on the other side, take the bolts off that are holding the belts towards the rear of the car.
13) After both belts are totally off……..Your tank still needs supporting, don’t drop it or bring it down just yet.
14) Have your friends tilt it slightly so that you can get access to the filler cap area from underneath.
15) Loosen the filler cap clamp and take it out of the filler cap.
16) There is one more clamped vent hose (smaller in size than filler cap), take that clamp off and than put the tank on the ground slowly. It is still full of gas and oddly shaped….DON”T FORGET THAT.
17) Inspect and clean.
1 Reinstall fuel pump into the new tank or fix the leak on your current one ( I replaced mine for a used unit as it way to much work to be dependent upon some epoxy.)
19) Install in the reverse of these steps.

Some tips

1) Have lift and airtools (helps out a lot)
2) Bunch of friends……More the merrier……(I had 6 total including me)
3) Wear safety goggles
4) Wear shoes and comfortable clothes
5) DO NOT SMOKE NEAR THE FUEL TANK AREA…..ITS RAW GAS…….SMOKE AWAY FROM THE AREA.

Imagestation has the pics here………
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286789209

Thanks to Adrian, Jesse, Jerry, Rob M, Robin (my cuz) for their help and time.
If I forgot anything, please feel free to add it in there and correct me fellas…..

RINKU

EDIT: I also replaced my tranny and diff fluid as its way to easy to do it now.......you should give that a thought yourself.

I also busted a brake line (rear) so i ended up getting a rear set from Adam at XAT (GOD BLESS THEM)

PS. We took off calipers and brake lines intact iirc, but we did break one line and had to get a replacement."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
snackman508
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7494

My Ride:

i was hoping it was easy i guess not, thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Send a message via AIM to Ace
It goes pretty quickly once you get down to working on it, don't let the long write up make it sound impossible.
Do you want AC to work in your SR swapped 240? PM me to find out how...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Hok@J-Tune
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #13988

My Ride:
95' Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackman508 View Post
trying to pull the gas tank out of my s14, how dose it come out. i pulled the pins in the front straps and the thing feels lose but dose not have enuff room to slide out. do i need to take some thing else out to make room?
Asher
i actually just replace my gas tank few day ago!! my gas tank was cracked.... is not that bad to drop the subframe just take out the driveshaft and e-brake cable and rear brake caliper etc.... don't need to take all the stuff off the rear subframe... you can drop it all!!! but the subframe is reallllyyy heavyyy..... but i think you need a lift

jtuneperformance.com
302-998-6988
420 Century Blvd, Wilmington, DE 19808
WORK Wheel, Vertex-usa, DynaPack Tuning
Hok@J-Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
snackman508
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7494

My Ride:

it was easy, i dont have the diff in or drive shafts yet so 6 bolts i was done.