TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Philly - FBG$
Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

iTrader: (2)
The Canon 5D Classic. Outdated?

I recently sold my camera equipment, with the intention to upgrade. The forerunner for bodys would be the 5D classic. I really want to go full frame, but I'm worried I'm gonna pick up this already several year old body and Canon is going to come out with a cheaper alternative to the MarkII and I'm gonna be pissed.

So what are your thoughts? My price range is right around the 1100-1300 mark for the body, so that's why the classic seems like a perfect fit, but at 5 years old, should I wait it out a little longer?
__________________
Thank you for flying Air force Airlines. Oh me? They call me The Captain.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
YO CAMRY
Tri-State Addict
 
YO CAMRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bensalem, PA
Member #10665

My Ride:
87 Camry

iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to YO CAMRY
The 5D is definitely still a good camera, I wouldn't worry about getting one at all. Canon's always gona make something better and cheaper after you get a new camera. First camera I bought was a 20D, and the next day in the mail I got an issue of Pop Photo with a picture of Canon's new release, the 30D, on the cover. Same price I paid for the 20D and a hell of a better camera.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
YO CAMRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
grumpyjap
Tri-State Aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Member #10222

My Ride:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to grumpyjap
Yeah there are no plans for canon to release a price point full frame camera. The only other thing is to wait for a 5dm2 to go on sale used.
grumpyjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore
 
i like rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member #3858

 
iTrader: (0)
I have both the 5D MKI & 5D MKII. Unless I'm shooting in low light and plan on hand holding the camera, the 5D MKI image quality is fine in all other conditions. The 5D MKII has better high ISO performance, a much better LCD, and the movie capability, but the 5D MKI image quality is still going to be superior over the prosumer and entry level bodies.

Depending on what lens I have attached to the body at the time is what determines which one I use. I sometimes have the 70-200 2.8L IS on the 5D MKII, other times I'll have the 16-35 2.8L on it. I'll usually leave the 24-70 2.8L on the 5D MKI, so if I only want to carry one body, I'll grab the 5D MKI.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Philly - FBG$
Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

iTrader: (2)
Is it worth it to save for a few weeks for the markII? I don't plan on using the video, but in IQ terms?
__________________
Thank you for flying Air force Airlines. Oh me? They call me The Captain.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore
 
i like rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member #3858

 
iTrader: (0)
If you plan on using ISO 3200 or 6400, yeah, it's worth the extra few bucks. The LCD is worth it, also.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
AristoSan
Tri-State Addict
 
AristoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jerz
Member #10650

My Ride:
Boosted 2001 GS300

iTrader: (0)
I'd save for the 5DII but the classic is still good, I plan on getting one as a second body myself
AristoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!
 
97TurboDSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

iTrader: (3)
Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
5D classic is MORE than worth the price. do it. it amazes me every time i use it
__________________
FOR SALE! Canon 5D|17-40L|85mm f/1.8|Sigmalux|580ex
97TurboDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore
 
The Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Philly - FBG$
Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

iTrader: (2)
How's the 17-40 with it, on the wide side? That's the lens I was going to most likely go with.
__________________
Thank you for flying Air force Airlines. Oh me? They call me The Captain.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore
 
i like rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member #3858

 
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
How's the 17-40 with it, on the wide side? That's the lens I was going to most likely go with.
Depends what body it is on. It's wide on a full frame, ok on 1.3x, not wide on 1.6x crop body.
i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore
 
grimm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member #3058

 
iTrader: (2)
Send a message via AIM to grimm
If you really want full frame the 5D is great and would be my first choice. If you think you'll use the higher ISO and don't mind paying for video features than wait and save for the 5DMKII. If you aren't concerned as much with full frame and want high ISO and video features look to the 7D.

the 17-40 is a great L lens at good price used. But I find the focus to be pretty slow. Personally
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore
 
sisforsurfing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

iTrader: (2)
Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
5D Mk1 + 17-40L, then pick; 24L1, 135L, 80-200L, whatever else you want
or
5D Mk2 + 17-40L + video, one stop ISO, and a better screen. Oh, and if you print bigger than 12x18 and view from within 2 feet.

I'd chose the older camera and better lenses all day. It's not like the 5D has gotten worse since it was the best <$8k body in the world a few years ago, I'd still love one with a 35L+85L.
Or just save your cash, this is an expensive hobby.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts On - Canon lens. Canon EF 70-200mm grimm Photography 83 10-02-2008 04:00 PM
NJ Classic Car Inspection? futuredsmowner Off-Topic 3 12-30-2006 11:05 AM
My Classic SE-R Spoolin81TSI Gallery 23 07-16-2006 04:36 PM
How to launch an STI - classic 347gtvert Gallery 8 01-17-2006 10:12 PM
Classic SNL WhiteXFire Gallery 0 12-27-2005 05:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.