Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorStal View Post
Damn! Those are some sick wheels! They somehow remind me of the black American racing rims I bought for my car a few weeks ago.
I've owned American racing wheels before. They are usually very heavy but fine for street wheels. Cheap and durable for the pennsylvania potholes. soon it will be time to mount the winter setup back up. Meaning I really need to post more often.

Track Sprint Review:
As for the track sprint event, i basically proved what I had suspected. The stinger is a great street car and drives quite well up to 8.5/10 driving. Once you try to drive it at 10/10 has some pretty serious flaws.

Auto shift mode: the power delivery was inconsistent, which never really allows the driver to be smooth when exiting corners. It was hard to tell if it was in a gear that was in the power band or not.

Paddle shift mode: The car lets you use the paddle shifter like a true manual in that you can bang the rev limiter all you want. THis allowed for better power delivery control, but the car is quite enough it was hard for me to tell if I was in the correct gear or not. In hindsight I wish I would have turned up the engine noise enhancement.

Handling: Pretty easy to make the car understeer on corner entry, and exit depending on the power delivery. This car does have "drift mode", and it is definitely possible to hang the back end out with some power if your in the power band. In unpredictability of the power made it difficult to control the weight, and therefore the handling was also a little unpredictable.

Braking: Braking was quite good but there is only so much they can do with a ~3800 lb car. They were smoking after my 3rd run but never felt soft.

Power: 370hp is still 370hp at the track.

Heat management: See Brakes. Also the trans got hot enough that it locked me out of launch mode and I felt it necessary to park the car and let it cool down. Slight disappointing but again its a powerful, heavy family sedan so I guess its not to surprising.

Overall it was a good experience. I ended ~1.5 sec off pace of a similarly equipped 3 series BMW which I was fine with. I think with some more time I could have gotten used to the power delivery and using the paddle shifters and made the experience better.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote