Old 11-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #2563
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Bought a 91 TSi AWD sight unseen from Craigslist about 3 weeks ago. Drove 300 miles at the last possible moment and brought it home the same night, completely unproven. Two owners, 96k, basically garage kept, completely unmolested aside from a K&N, goof LEDs and 90s wheels, and a shift knob. Runs decently, has the usual lack of maintenance records and questionable non-OEM replacement timing belt parts, but thankfully I'd just got myself all the parts to do the job on 728.

Unfortunately, I just looked down the intake with a flashlight and didn't see the puddle of oil sitting in the intake tract and the turbo inlet, nor have the angle to check the turbo for shaft play. Seems the little 14b has given up the ghost and that the blades made some contact with the housing at some point, which explains most of the little quirks and issues the car has. Thankfully, the blades seem to be intact and not spewed through the insides of my engine, though definitely damaged beyond repair. So, the plan is to throw a small 16G on that I recently purchased and sent out for a rebuild by THE local guy, leave the stock BCS in place, and do all the maintenance before just enjoying the snot out a cool little gem from history while I finish what is turning into an out-and-out restoration on the GVR4, and sell the CC to pay down student loans.

It's so strange to drive one of these cars that doesn't need to be hugely "corrected." Cruise still works, A/C is still cold, and I still have PS, too?! Count me in for the long haul.