Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Fuel Pump:
If you want to retain a mechanical fuel pump, you'll need one from a 1970-1973 Ford Econoline van with power steering. It's a Carter pump that's made upside down to clear the steering box. Otherwise, a mechanical fuel pump will need to be replaced by an electric unit to clear the steering box. The fuel pump will need to deliver 5-7 psi. If your Ranger has an electric pump in the gas tank it has a 40-psi rating. You will have to either replace it or add a fuel regulator to reduce it to 5-7 psi.. When adding an electric fuel pump you should install a switch in the cab so that you can shut the fuel off in an emergency. I would also recommend going to a salvage yard and obtain an inertia switch from the trunk of a newer vehicle and wiring it in with the fuel pump. This will shut the pump of during a collision. Your stock pump in the tank on fuel injected models will work with the 5.0 fuel injection.

Carburetor:
Stock carburetors work OK on an off-road truck. TRS-1 ran well with a stock 2-barrel carburetor. Once a 4-barrel carburetor was added it ran very poorly on steep angles. The problem was solved by installing a Holley Truck Avenger carb. The truck can now sit a steep angles and idle fine. Holley claims "Exclusive New "No Trouble" metering block eliminates fuel spillover through the boosters at extreme angles. Flood-free operation up to 40 degrees while climbing and 30 degrees during side hill maneuvers and "nose down" descents. This allows you to off-road in confidence with out the annoying hesitations, stalling and flooding typically associated with carbs in an off road environment."

Oil Filter:
You will have to use an adapter and move the oil filter for clearance. The adapter will have to point down instead of out for clearance. This adapter can be obtained through Jegs part No. 771-2791. You will also need the filter mount part No. 771-1211 and hoses.