Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #69
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Excellent work! The radar detector information was really good too. Surprised that the Valentine One is still around these days, it came out when I was in college which is coming up to 20 years ago.

The LCAs should be a really nice improvement too. Looking forward to your driving impressions.

Getting carplay into the mk6 is easier now than ever before and there are some OEM look replacements available. I think there’s even a radio that VW used in the Chinese market which is PnP and offers it.

The mk6 is such a great platform. I really enjoyed mine and it’s fun seeing you build yours.
Appreciate it!!

I actually think I picked Valentine from all the years of reading my dads old Car and Drivers and seeing the Valentine ad. It burned an image in my head and it just happens to be one of the top detectors. The Gen 2 Valentine is even more badass with more range and better filtering. If I drove more highway I would probably upgrade. I have since paired the V1 with V1Driver which is an iOS or Android app that adds GPS lockouts, low speed muting and frequency display. Not something I use on my daily commute but great for long highway drives or hooning around.

LCA's were a nice improvement. More so when you really push the car. I don't notice it much with normal driving. I ordered toe plates that just came in this weekend so I can dial in my toe that is off after installing them. I'm thinking once I get that dialed in It will enhance the ALK some more.

Yes I have seen the Chinese OE units and for the price they are a great deal. I think I will either go with one of them or a Kenwood unit with wireless CarPlay.

It really is a great platform. I will admit at times I wish I would have done some more research and gotten a MK7 just from a tuning ability. They respond better to performance upgrades. With the labor and money I have put into this car I'd have more HP. They were out of my budget at the time but I could have kept this stock (yeah right) and waited a bit for MK7's to get cheaper. Uh well. I find myself looking at MK7s and then remember I'd have to do another clutch...nope lol

I scored a used Borg Warner K04 from a forum member. 11k miles on it and in great shape. I might send it out for a port and ceramic coating before install and I'd also like to upgrade the intercooler. Just need to order an install kit and really I should be good to go. Just need some time to do it.

With a Unitronic Stage 2+ tune it should be cranking out 330-350HP.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote