View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #65
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Did some small things over the last few nights.

My hardwired radar connection has been doing great but had one issue that really bothered me. It would come on when you turned the key to accessory and then when you turned the key to ignition to start the car it would turn it off and on again (which is what I would expect). Well it bothered me due to the start up noise it would make and the fact that I don’t like power cycling electronic stuff more then I have too. So I started digging through my old electronics stuff from school looking for a 555 timer to make a delay to start circuit when I thought I could probably just order one. Yep sure enough I could get 5 mini delay boards for $14 From eBay. So I wired that into the radar detector and it now waits about 10 seconds before powering on, perfect . It’s got a surface mount 555 timer and a nice 10A relay with adjustable time delay

A few weeks ago I discovered one of my OZ center caps had flew off somewhere. Okay I’ll order a new/used one. A single cap was $25 (cause carbon fiber bro). I then saw a set of 4 OZ non painted center caps for $26 and thought I‘ll just get them and then I can paint match them to the car. Instead of paint I decided to go with vinyl wrap. Oh great I can do my side markers at the same time. So I vinyl wrapped my center caps and side markers.

The vinyl wrap is 3M 1080 and was super easy to work with

I also downloaded an app to compliment my Valentine radar detector and it has been an excellent addition to po-po detection. It’s called V1Driver and gives you all the features of more modern radar detectors but done better. I’m still playing around with it but I am enjoying it so far.

Have some minor suspension stuff coming in. I'm wanting to add a new head unit for Carplay but......I really want to upgrade the turbo so putting money aside for that.

Took some summer mode pics too (before new center caps and wrapped side markers). Got a polarizing filter but need to practice with it.

GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote