View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #40
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

So my new to me pendulum mount has a very loud and annoying rattle at idle. From info on the forums this is not normal so I contact APR for some assistance. They want me to send it to them to be evaluated and said they will fix it (for free) if there is an issue. After I removed it I checked the spherical bearing and it has some play in it which I think is where the rattle is coming from. The previous owner said it was only on his car for 2 weeks but he had a TDI (diesel) Golf. APR does not list that as compatible (it does fit a TDI) and the guy I bought it from said his car shook way to much so he removed it. He didn't give me the feeling like he was lying and the part looked barley used but I think the diesel engine destroyed the bearing. I explained this to APR and they still asked if I could send it in. I removed it last night and will ship it out next week.

While removing the pendulum mount I noticed something shiny on my splash shield...oil, WTF!!! Started investigating and found that my boost line that runs to my gauge was sweating oil. The PCV prevents most oil from getting into the intake manifold but some still makes it's way in and my boost tap barb is on the bottom of the port so gravity helps it get in there. Ordered some nice silicone hose from Amazon and some small inline filters to help filter out any oil that might make it to the gauge. A filter is not "needed"with a mechanical gauge but it certainly won't hurt.

Placed the filter under the dash as soon as the line comes through the firewall.

Re-routed the boost line a little before connecting it to the boost tap at the intake manifold/PCV.

A GTI forum member sent me some free smoked side markers that he no longer wanted so I popped them in as well. I think I am going to vinyl match them to the body color. The smoked is better then the amber but I think if it matched the paint it would look better.

GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote