TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Blow Off Valve Test (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8233)

GokuRen 12-16-2005 05:05 PM

Blow Off Valve Test

Does anybody know of a way to test a blowoff valve without putting it into the car yet? I got a blowoff valve out of a 760 Intercooled Turbo Volvo in a junkyard along with the rest of the turbo parts and accessories. But I wanted to know if there is a way to test it before trying to put it to actual use. Maybe using household supplies, like a bike pump and some rigging?

SilverTurboRidin 12-16-2005 05:08 PM

hook it onto a air compressor somehow

GokuRen 12-16-2005 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well right now, im sitting here with a Air Hand Pump for like a bike. There's 2 tubes on the blow off valve. Inlet and Outlet. Im tryin to attach a picture of it on here, not sure if it'll work or not.

Gorilla Unit 33 12-16-2005 05:22 PM

good luck

Gorilla Unit 33 12-16-2005 05:23 PM

your better off buying a brand new aftermarket one if ur not sure how that will hold

sisforsurfing 12-16-2005 05:32 PM

Not necessarily. I dont know how you'd go about testing one, but if it leaks he should get a new one. If it doesn't leak there's no need, and most likley with the PSI he'll be running, he'll be fine.

wgknestrick 12-16-2005 06:41 PM

There should only be one vac hose used to control the valve. Once they see - pressure they open.

2point4DSM 12-16-2005 06:54 PM

Neat looking BOV. I don't see a vacuum nipple in the pic so I am assuming the electronics underneath control the opening and closing. You can test it by rigging a cap and vacuum nipple to the inlet portion and pumping it up till you see leakage coming out the other end.

Otherwise, most BOVs have a vacuum nipple that helps control the opening and closing. DSM BOVs will leak around -12 hg mercury at idle and when the pressure differential btw boost and engine vacuum is greater than that difference.

GokuRen 12-16-2005 07:58 PM

Well if the electronics underneath do control the opening and closing of it, how am i supposed to get it to work right with my car?

2point4DSM 12-17-2005 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GokuRen
Well if the electronics underneath do control the opening and closing of it, how am i supposed to get it to work right with my car?

I doubt that will happen.

Find yourself a nice cheap BOV. No one wants 2g DSM BOVs so I bet you can almost get them for free. They leak on DSMs but only cause they see a lot of boost. If you want to get a nice quality, cheap BOV get one off a 1g DSM. They normally go for about $50.

GokuRen 12-17-2005 04:16 AM

Thanks for the tip, I think I might be able to get a blow off valve off of a 1987 mitsubishi conquest. my buddy has a black one that he built and it walks away from Z06 vettes. He's had quite a few DSM cars, I'm sure he has a blow off valve laying around that he don't need or want. I'll look into that. Thanks