TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   Audi / Volkswagen Talk (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Thinking about getting a Mk2 GTI for a daily driver. Good idea? What should I know? (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35097)

TROLL 06-07-2007 01:52 AM

Thinking about getting a Mk2 GTI for a daily driver. Good idea? What should I know?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a daily driver... went through the ideas of something like a Civic, a Neon, or even an older Impreza wagon, which are all reasonable choices. Today I thought how cool it would be to get a sweet Mk2 GTI... I don't know much about them so I'm not sure how reasonable it is or if its just asking for a heap of trouble, so I was hoping some of the VW guys on here could educate me.
I'm looking for something that is going to get good mileage. I'm looking for something that is reasonably reliable--doesn't have to be perfect and I understand that a used car and an older car will have problems arise, but I just don't want a money pit or a headache. Also don't want it to be too expensive.
From what I've read and been told so far, the Mk2 GTI is actually a pretty damn good choice, and I think they're totally badass to boot. I'd really prefer to find something stock or very close to it, and maintained well. I'd just plan to continue to keep it in good shape and maybe do wheels and possibly lower it, but I really think that would be the end of it.
So... tell me if you agree or not, and if there is a better year, engine, etc. I should be looking for, and also common problems I should look out for.
Thanks!
Bryan

TROLL 06-07-2007 03:10 AM

not ready to buy yet, but something like this seems perfect... its well maintained and looks super clean in and out. not sure how concerned i should be with mileage but it seems a lot of these have some rust issues or other problems.
anyway, this one looks nice... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Excel...QQcmdZViewItem

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a2/ac/8cc8_3.JPG

evomike 06-07-2007 03:22 AM

yea see vws are hit or miss some are great alot are just junk, they tend to have little bs problems that get annoying

xEJ20x 06-07-2007 10:06 AM

Its difficult finding a MK2 GTI that is in reasonable running condition.
I would look at a MK3 instead. But it depends on what you're lookin to spend.

But I have a two good books on water-cooled VWs I can lend you.

I'll also keep my eyes open on VWFixx is a good deal comes around.

edit: Why not buy the Corrado that someone was selling?

evomike 06-07-2007 10:08 AM

just search vortex everything you could ever want is in the dirty jerz

BlackBulletTSi 06-07-2007 10:21 AM

agreed go for the corrado those things are pimp i think

xEJ20x 06-07-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBulletTSi (Post 563000)
agreed go for the corrado those things are pimp i think

Certain Corrados sound nasty as hell when you upgrade the supercharger.

evomike 06-07-2007 10:25 AM

and g60 corrados are the biggest piles of **** ever

xEJ20x 06-07-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomike (Post 563005)
and g60 corrados are the biggest piles of **** ever

So are most of the VWs out there.
But there is an occasional gem.

evomike 06-07-2007 10:36 AM

yeah except vw took the most reliable motor they had and made it jusnk with the g60

xEJ20x 06-07-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomike (Post 563012)
yeah except vw took the most reliable motor they had and made it jusnk with the g60

Agree'd.
However, good luck finding a decent SLC Corrado for a reasonable price.

evomike 06-07-2007 10:41 AM

they are out there you just gotta know where to look and know the right people

TROLL 06-07-2007 11:16 AM

i think corrados are sick but i really dont want a toy or a project, i just want something that i'm not gonna be tempted to mess with much and is just reliable and gets good mileage.
that brings me to the GTI cause i think they're badass looking but i dont see any reasonable means to make them fast, they're just a sweet cruising car to me. i think i could put some wheels on it and lower it a bit and be done, just keep it looking good and running well.
so we have established that it will be tough to find one that has been kept up well, but that they are out there, and if i find one that hasnt been abused it could be a good, mostly-headache-free daily? is the one i posted above good or what?

xEJ20x 06-07-2007 11:20 AM

The GTI you found looks great and for under $3000.

I'd buy it.

evomike 06-07-2007 11:20 AM

it looks clean but way overprived for a non 16v car like way overpriced

evomike 06-07-2007 11:25 AM

vwvortex.com is your friend not ebay

TROLL 06-07-2007 11:35 AM

yeah vortex has a ton of cars but a lot of them are just in fair condition and need work. i'm kind of a perfectionist and i'm not looking for a huge project at least with this one so it would either need to be kept up meticulously or only need some minor stuff to get it back to looking and running great. at least for this car i'd prefer to pay a bit more and have something thats rust free with good paint and no stains/rips on the interior, and just well maintained in general. its all new to me but in my head i'd be ecstatic to pick up one of these in particularly good condition for $3000-$3500 which seems to higher priced than the avg.
so if mileage and reliability are my priorities, and being fast isnt, should i have an order of preference on 1.8 vs. 2.0 and 8v vs. 16v?
i just picked that car cause it seemed like the interior and exterior were pristine (except for roof) but i agree the engine is real high mileage.

Broken5hift 06-07-2007 11:38 AM

i dont like VW's. the people i have known that drove them had nothing but problems so i guess my opinion is tainted? stock or modified they are a bitch to work on, complete jig saw puzzles.

i would recommend an older BMW. parts will probably be the same cost wise but the BMWs hold up much better overall. (88-92ish)

TROLL 06-07-2007 11:41 AM

oh and i dig the mk2's just cause i think they look the best, thats the honest answer there. the mk3 is alright too but i figured looks/$$$ the mk2 was the clear winner.

evomike 06-07-2007 11:43 AM

nah for like 3500 you can get a decent mk3 vr6 you should look into that as well