TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast

TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Car Related Chat (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Finally drove a WRX (http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27362)

Raven18940 01-24-2007 01:14 PM

Finally drove a WRX

Eh, I don't see what you guys are always ranting and raving about. The AWD grip is nice, but there wasn't enough feel through the car. I had no idea what was happening underneath me. Still, what a noise, god that thing sounded awesome. And the car was fully loaded, and very well built.

However, as I feel a bit guilty for wasting the salesman's time, I will say that if you go to the subaru dealer on Street Rd in feasterville there is a very nice white 06 wrx limited to be had. It's got 2000 miles, leather seats, premium sound, and in beautiful condition. It also has a boost gauge, full exhaust, and intake with receipts to show it was installed be a factory technician so the warranty is intact. Originally it was $31K, he was willing to give it to me for $26K and we haven't even haggled yet.

Seriously, if you like wrx's you need to look at this one, ask for alex.

TalonTsi97 01-24-2007 01:23 PM

Me and my dad went and looked at that car, as well as the 06 blue sti they had which had a hks exhaust on it. We never ended up driving either but my dad loved the white limited, we both still cant beleive its there cause that thing was really nice. 26k isnt a bad price for that car and im sure you could get it down a little more.

Raven18940 01-24-2007 01:28 PM

He is willing to go lower, but I don't wanna say how much. Really, as far as subies go it's beautiful. I really don't like em and I can say that.

05Accent 01-24-2007 01:39 PM

damn about time.. ur a lil behind.. i think by now everyones driven a wrx of some sort.. lol just messin. nice find.. i was lookin at one a while back..

charliemopps24 01-24-2007 01:49 PM

I drove my buddies 03 wrx, and to be honest, the clutch and shifter felt like they came out of a sundance when compared to my civic.

Jlb725 01-24-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemopps24 (Post 433225)
I drove my buddies 03 wrx, and to be honest, the clutch and shifter felt like they came out of a sundance when compared to my civic.

I see you have wealth of knowledge when comparing transmissions..... wrx, sundance and a civic... any experience with ford Tempo's?

ozthunder 01-24-2007 02:38 PM

lol..someone took that a bit personally.

I drove one, pretty neat. Def can't feel much, but that could always be my opinion vs actuality!

Renegade_ 01-24-2007 02:41 PM

And I highly doubt you pushed that car at all with the salesman in the car other than going WOT a few times. Throw a RSB on a subaru and whip it into a turn. It's a completely different animal.

I think it is probably on stock tires. I am running 17 inchers with Falken tires @ 215/45/17 and I can feel every single nick and crease in the road.

ozthunder 01-24-2007 02:47 PM

No, I didn't. I also prefer RWD, so I have that bias. Not saying its in every car, that the car sucks, etc etc. For me, its a "different" feel, and it relates to control. I feel more in control with RWD than AWD, and part of that, well, most of that is my experiences, all of them being RWD. lol

D Money 01-24-2007 02:57 PM

WRX's are garbage.

TROLL 01-24-2007 02:57 PM

Ok, I'm not trying to be a Subaru fanboy, and I know as well as anyone that these cars arent for everyone (in fact I'd love to still be one of a handful of crazy Subaru guys like it was a few years ago), but if you're gonna pick at things, I'll just hop on your level to respond to it. Just making conversation here so feel free to respond, just want to make sure nobody is getting all worked up over this. :)
I cant resist, I tried, but I can't... the WRX is far from perfect and there is a ton of room for improvement in many areas, including the suspension and the shifter and clutch, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven18940 (Post 433176)
Eh, I don't see what you guys are always ranting and raving about. The AWD grip is nice, but there wasn't enough feel through the car. I had no idea what was happening underneath me.

A Saab guy complaining there isnt enough feedback in a WRX? I haven't been on stock suspension in a long time but stock for stock I'd find it hard to believe that a Saab would have a more performance oriented suspension than a WRX. How much does your luxury car weigh and how supple is the ride in it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemopps24 (Post 433225)

A honda guy complaining about the WRX clutch and shifter? If he had the stock shifter then it is a bit long and sloppy, but I think the factory short shifter is quite nice.
I have driven maybe a dozen manual cars, and two of them where Civics. One was an Si and one was a DX. They both had the most god-awful-sloppy, completely-feedback-lacking shifters I have ever used. I don't remember the clutch so it must have been normal enough. If you have an aftermarket shifter and clutch then maybe its a different story, but unfair comparison. If you compared it to anything but a Civic I would have said ok, but man I despise those shifters... its like a hotdog in a hallway.

Raven18940 01-24-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade_ (Post 433271)
And I highly doubt you pushed that car at all with the salesman in the car other than going WOT a few times. Throw a RSB on a subaru and whip it into a turn. It's a completely different animal.

I think it is probably on stock tires. I am running 17 inchers with Falken tires @ 215/45/17 and I can feel every single nick and crease in the road.

Actually the salesman was egging me on. And this isn't a suspension thing, I thought it changed directions very well and the ride was superb. But when I put my hands on the wheel I couldn't feel the road. Same thing with the seat, fantastic seat, but I couldn't feel the road. I am being picky, it's a far nicer machine than I was expecting, but I still prefer my silly euro box.

TROLL 01-24-2007 03:16 PM

Aw, you didnt disagree very much... boring haha. The STi has a quicker steering rack, and the Evo has an even quicker rack, well on its way to track car responsiveness. I do wish the lock to lock was a bit shorter on the WRX, and the brakes were bigger, and the engine was bigger, and, and...

STI_wagon 01-24-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLL (Post 433282)
A honda guy complaining about the WRX clutch and shifter? If he had the stock shifter then it is a bit long and sloppy, but I think the factory short shifter is quite nice.

its like a hotdog in a hallway.

The stock shifter is an easy fit, kartboy bushings and shifter.

:lol: :lol:

Raven18940 01-24-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLL (Post 433303)
Aw, you didnt disagree very much... boring haha. The STi has a quicker steering rack, and the Evo has an even quicker rack, well on its way to track car responsiveness. I do wish the lock to lock was a bit shorter on the WRX, and the brakes were bigger, and the engine was bigger, and, and...

ahhhhhh, sorry, you posted while I was typing

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLL (Post 433282)
A Saab guy complaining there isnt enough feedback in a WRX? I haven't been on stock suspension in a long time but stock for stock I'd find it hard to believe that a Saab would have a more performance oriented suspension than a WRX. How much does your luxury car weigh and how supple is the ride in it?

Not what I meant, I thought the suspension was very nicely setup. But this isn't really a suspension problem, it's not something you can quantify with numbers. I have no doubt that at the absolute limit the wrx is faster, but I feel that my saab can dance on the limit much easier than the wrx. When I drive my and any saab for that matter I feel like I'm one with the machine. When I drove that WRX I felt like the captain of a small, fast boat, completely in control of where we go, but not as involved in how it happened.

It's a very hard thing to explain, I'll have to let you drive my car at a meet some time.

Can't fault the shifter, SAAB's is probably the worst in the business. But at the end of the day the shifter is just for swapping cogs.

CHAOS 01-24-2007 03:25 PM

pound for pound, the wrx is a GREAT car... the feel isnt what it could be.. i agree about that... but i mean... no one here is ranting and raving about stock wrx's or barely modded ones... they are raving about the ability for those cars to take so well to mods, take on all kinds of weather, take all kinds of abuse and keep running...

comparing the car to something like a civic is ridiculous... the civic is an economy car... the wrx is not. end of story... my opinion towards the whole subaru thing may be skewed because of what i drive.... the sti is a champ... the 07's are doing some incredible things...

i digress... no one is ranting and raving... we just love our cars. i could almost say the same thing about 240 guys and honda guys... dont hate.

D Money 01-24-2007 03:36 PM

I agree with this kid, a stock wrx sucks. I hated mine when it was stock, it was slow, handled like ****, and looked like ****.

Not many people keep a wrx stock, they usually mod it up and turn it into a monster. My car now is definately not the car I bought, it is something that is 100x better than stock in suspension, power, and looks. That statement applies to mostly every other wrx owner on this site.

Raven18940 01-24-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwrxkid (Post 433326)
I agree with this kid, a stock wrx sucks. I hated mine when it was stock, it was slow, handled like ****, and looked like ****.

Not many people keep a wrx stock, they usually mod it up and turn it into a monster. My car now is definately not the car I bought, it is something that is 100x better than stock in suspension, power, and looks. That statement applies to mostly every other wrx owner on this site.

That's my problem with it, it's not fun enough. I don't want a car with 500 hp and a rock hard suspension. I want something that's fun to drive at ordinary speeds, and the WRX isn't.

D Money 01-24-2007 03:47 PM

I think all of the hardcore wrxer's, not naming names, but most of us have took out all of the flaws in a wrx like:

6MT swaps
Turbo kits, power adders, bla bla bla
High end coilovers, sway bars, braces, strut bars, etc
WIDE wheels and sticky icky rubber
Race inspired seats with better bolstering
better exterior stylin for some blingin'
tinted windows so you kids can't see us stuntin'

Raven18940 01-24-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subwrxkid (Post 433338)
I think all of the hardcore wrxer's, not naming names, but most of us have took out all of the flaws in a wrx like:

6MT swaps
Turbo kits, power adders, bla bla bla
High end coilovers, sway bars, braces, strut bars, etc
WIDE wheels and sticky icky rubber
Race inspired seats with better bolstering
better exterior stylin for some blingin'
tinted windows so you kids can't see us stuntin'

And that addresses none of the problems I had with the car. :(