PDA

View Full Version : Will I pass inspection: odometer exempt, but broken & the car is 20yrs old?

cyron
10-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm just confirming that since I have odometer exempt on the title & registration it doesn't matter if it works or not.

I have a 1990 240sx that I bought with the odometer broken, but "inspected" by a dealership.

I don't want to fix the odometer, but I'm curious if it'll pass inspection with it broken?
I'm assuming it doesn't matter since the odo shows 56k miles, and has been inspected before, but I'm looking for some confirmation.

Thanks

ASIAN JUL
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Believe the car has to be 25+ years old to be exempt

Yes SiR
10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm just confirming that since I have odometer exempt on the title & registration it doesn't matter if it works or not.

I have a 1990 240sx that I bought with the odometer broken, but "inspected" by a dealership.

I don't want to fix the odometer, but I'm curious if it'll pass inspection with it broken?
I'm assuming it doesn't matter since the odo shows 56k miles, and has been inspected before, but I'm looking for some confirmation.

Thanks

What state are you in?

In NY, it should be fine. It's not a "safety" feature. I wouldn't take it to a dealership to have it inspected, but that's just me.

cyron
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Believe the car has to be 25+ years old to be exempt

That's true that there is no federal requirement to have the correct odometer reading on a car. (The state carries it over)
The car already has Exempt on title/registration... I searched all over Penndot's website to look for something to the effect, and only found the 25Yr old car deal.

What state are you in?

Sill fella, I'm in PA.

I was in Ithaca once at a coffee house, and this guy strolls in wearing a skirt goes in the back of the shop picks up a circular saw and proceeds to walk out.
I said to the guy "Nice Kilt", he corrected me by saying "It's not a kilt it's a skirt".

cyron
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Is the car emissions exempt since it shows less than 5,000miles a year. ;-)

Yes SiR
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
That's true that there is no federal requirement to have the correct odometer reading on a car. (The state carries it over)
The car already has Exempt on title/registration... I searched all over Penndot's website to look for something to the effect, and only found the 25Yr old car deal.

Sill fella, I'm in PA.

I was in Ithaca once at a coffee house, and this guy strolls in wearing a skirt goes in the back of the shop picks up a circular saw and proceeds to walk out.
I said to the guy "Nice Kilt", he corrected me by saying "It's not a kilt it's a skirt".

That was me! But seriously, that's totally Ithaca for you.

I know nothing about PA inspections, but here:

175.74. ODOMETERS.
A vehicle specified under this subchapter, except
a motor vehicle at least 25 years old, shall have an
operating odometer calibrated to indicate total
miles or kilometers driven.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_e.pdf

BIG bracken
10-17-2009, 09:09 AM
It all depends on the shop really, but more than likley if you put 0 miles on the car in the last year thier gonna question you and its manditory in PA that the odometer and spedo work. and do not take it to a dealership cause thier gonna try and make all the money they can out of you and tell you you have to replace everything. good luck!

vantage08
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
especially since you DROVE the car there and didn't put any mileage on lol.

zuki19
10-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Yea i took my car to dealership to get inspected, wow what a hassle, first time ive done that and the last, i think the onlything i thought my car would fail would be emmissions without having EGR valve or anything hell it passed emissions and failed everything else, my tint on my headlights were too dark, i dont get that cuz the reverse light is completely white, and you can still see red in the headlight, i got charged for 120$ for labor for them taking it off, than they tried telling me my rotors and pads were bad when I replaced them not even a year ago., local garage ftw.

Preston
10-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Odo must work for PA state