PDA

View Full Version : So what should i do to my fc over the winter

driftingrx5.7
10-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I was wondering what i should do with my fc over the winter. my funds are going to be limited because the wife doesn't want me to spend much right now. so i am giving myself a budget of $1000. i know i have to wait for christmas to get my tach and speedo from the wife so that doesn't touch my budget. Since i am doing a lot of auto crossing i was thinking about getting the right springs for my rear. because i am using t2 springs on the rear and i have a lot of camber. also i was going to do a nice rear sway bar. so lets add up my budget so far

rear springs = 63 each x2 = 125
rear sway bar = 135
sway bar end links = 70
brake pad upgrades = not sure one what i want to get i was told hawk pads.
bremo stock replacement rotors = can't find them anywhere yet!

so that is what i was thinking so far so that puts me at i would say about 400 bucks. so i have 600 left. what do you guys think i should look at? or look for?

Ender81
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think you should be different and swap in a Rotary engine :-p

driftingrx5.7
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
lol then i would be driftingrx7 not 5.7 ;)

Ender81
10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
hahaha yeah that would just confuse people.

Dave 88 A.E
10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I think you should be different and swap in a Rotary engine :-p

hahaha i was gonna say the same thing.

The hawk pads are nice I have them on my car now. What suspension are you looking at? I have the eibach springs and sways.

driftingrx5.7
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
i didn't even know eibach made sway bars for the fc. i have all racing beat now and i was going to get the rear springs from racing beat. i am going to look up the eibach springs and sway. o and for shocks i have tokico blues. as for the hawk pads do they make rotors too?

Dave 88 A.E
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
no im pretty sure they just make the pads.

toplessFC3Sman
10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
for a street car and auto-x, you'll want the Hawk HPS pads. They've worked well for me so far. Also, aftermarket springs for the coupes work on the 'verts too, I have a set of eibachs over tokicos from a coupe on mine and love the balance, even with stock sways.

A new set of performance tires is always beneficial to handling. If you have a garage (aka arent swapping bushings out in the cold), you may want to get a set of poly bushings to replace the 20 yr old suspension and subframe bushings and make the car a little more responsive.
Another idea would be to get a limited slip diff. If you are still using the 'vert rear end, S4 GXL clutch-type differentials and NB miata torsen differentials will swap into your diff case. If you have the turbo rear end, the S4 clutch type is a little bit stronger than the S6 torsen, but either fits in the case and torsens dont wear out like the clutch-types. I dont know of any rebuild kits for the clutches besides just ordering all the individual parts from mazda themselves (if they still have them) or mazdatrix, but either way this'll probably run you over $1000 alone. I was able to get an S6 torsen for $80, which seems to be about the going rate for them.

driftingrx5.7
10-28-2008, 05:05 PM
for a street car and auto-x, you'll want the Hawk HPS pads. They've worked well for me so far. Also, aftermarket springs for the coupes work on the 'verts too, I have a set of eibachs over tokicos from a coupe on mine and love the balance, even with stock sways. they work but i noticed the rear sits a lot lower then my t2 use to thats why i am going to get vert springs i looked up the spring rates on the t2 and the vert totally different.

A new set of performance tires is always beneficial to handling. yeah i am going to wait for my current tires to burn out first because they are not done with yet. might have a good 500 to 1000 miles left on them. so i am looking at mid spring to swap out the tires with some good ones.

If you have a garage (aka arent swapping bushings out in the cold), you may want to get a set of poly bushings to replace the 20 yr old suspension and subframe bushings and make the car a little more responsive.
thats a really good idea, do i need a press to do that or is that something i can do at home? i do have a 2 car garage so i can do it in my garage with no problem!

Another idea would be to get a limited slip diff. If you are still using the 'vert rear end, S4 GXL clutch-type differentials and NB miata torsen differentials will swap into your diff case. If you have the turbo rear end, the S4 clutch type is a little bit stronger than the S6 torsen, but either fits in the case and torsens dont wear out like the clutch-types. I dont know of any rebuild kits for the clutches besides just ordering all the individual parts from mazda themselves (if they still have them) or mazdatrix, but either way this'll probably run you over $1000 alone. I was able to get an S6 torsen for $80, which seems to be about the going rate for them.

i have an s4 t2 rear end withc is the clutch type rear end i know its a true s4 rear end because it came right off my 87 t2 ;)

amp
10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
...so i have 600 left. what do you guys think i should look at? or look for?
if the application is autocross.. id spend the G in a coilover setup that you can dial in...
im suggestin GC with konis.. have the other xmas budget added with the G to offset any additional cost...

driftingrx5.7
10-28-2008, 11:22 PM
well if i buy coil overs then i will not by the springs and that will put my budget back up to 1000. i have a fear of coil overs for some reason. i had a set on my civic and i hated the ride! i think rolling with the springs would be better for what i want to do

lownslow95
10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
I was wondering what i should do with my fc over the winter.

let me have it over for the winter...end of story. :rotfl:

driftingrx5.7
10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
lol i don't think you can even put it in gear ;)

lownslow95
10-30-2008, 09:35 AM
lol i don't think you can even put it in gear ;)

i didnt say i would drive it...just keep it at my house...ahh who am i kidding...i would drive it.:mrgreen: