TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Drftpretty
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1994

My Ride:
98, Audi A4, 88 Rx7, 89 Vert, 71 Muscle, 96 Jeep, 75 Honda CB500T

The official "Talk me out of Joining the Navy as a Corpsman" Thread.

Found myself goofing around in an enlistment center and then talking to ER doctor who is also in the reserves.

I was offered a fat enlistment bonus, a rank as an officer because of my college and medical degrees, off base housing allowance/ food, and a certain spot with a FLSOMC (Front Line Special Operations Medical Center)

How do I turn this down?

Its really tempting considering they will pay for the rest of school/ housing/ food/ Med school.

HELP!
2. How many of my peers carry guns.

Last edited by Drftpretty; 04-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Drftpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
u want to buy a industrial styled loft

how do rankings go in order?

be careful you might be stuck on a ship for a year, i heard alot of people hated that
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
RSX Type-Slow
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5868

My Ride:
99' Civic Si

Send a message via AIM to RSX Type-Slow
sounds like a sweet deal to me.

will u be going to Iraq??

Dropped and swapped Civic Si
RSX Type-Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

your g/f will cheat on you cause you're never around. You can't move all your cars around. you'll never get to sample my beer. enlistment officers lie.

but to answer your question specifically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftpretty
How do I turn this down?
"no thanks"
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Drftpretty
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1994

My Ride:

I hear you on the loft but if the Navy will pay for EVERYTHING for me and the GF why not do it? I was told that because medical personel is in such demand that I would either be stationed on a Hospital ship, on a forward field medical base, or theres a very very small chance that I would be in Germany. Most likely somewhere in the middle east because of all of my certs in emergency medicine and pre-hospital trauma life support.

I have no idea about the rankings. But with a college degree in a specialized field they gar. a officers ranking and pay scale lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
your g/f will cheat on you cause you're never around. You can't move all your cars around. you'll never get to sample my beer. enlistment officers lie.

but to answer your question specifically...

"no thanks"

^Pretty much the only three reasons keeping me from boot camp May 1st.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

honestly, if I had a college degree I'd consider enlisting in the air force as an officer and go through their programming career.

Well, not at this point cause I'm making more than they could offer.

Enlisting as an officer is the only way to go, in my mind. But I would never do it if I was in a serious relationship with someone.

The three possible places they'll send you... only one sounds good to me... and that's germany.

I'll be honest, I regret not joining out of highschool... I did little with my life, well... I'd consider little. I helped my mom get her business off the ground, so I did a lot.

The biggest benefit with getting into the military as an officer and as a non-combatant is if you'd make it a life time career... where in 10-15 years of excelling at your job could you expect to be making 300k+ a year + housing and clothing allowances.

Consider this long and hard... May 1st is close, and I'm afraid not enough time to really consider this option. Its not like its something you can easily get out of if you change your mind or your g/f says she can't take it anymore... its not working third shift at a warehouse and telling them its not working out... that its ruining your relationship, your life, etc...

That being said, I'm very proud of all our enlisted men and women. They're doing something I never did, and now never will.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
PhillyLS1
Tri-State Addict

Member #3221

My Ride:
00 Camaro SS 11 Mustang 11 GS Vette

Send a message via AIM to PhillyLS1 Send a message via Yahoo to PhillyLS1
Um, if you think you're gonna pull duty as a Corpsmen on a ship while this war is going on... LOL I have a bridge in England I wanna sell you.

I'm an NCO in the Army, I just got off of active duty and I'm in the National Guard. I am posting this from Iraq as a civilian.
I have over 50% hearing loss in my left ear, tinitus and my back is FUBAR from an explosion/other stuff in Iraq in 2005.

Now granted, you'll be an officer, so maybe the things I'm going to tell you may not apply in the same degree as us knuckle-dragger enlisted like me.

I was an intelligence operative out in the worst part of Iraq in 2005. Placed called Husaybah in Al-Anbar province. I dealt with the worst scum probably in the country.
I was the only Army augmented to the Marine Unit operating out of the area.
Anyway long story short, we're on an op and it goes wrong Black-Hawk-Down style.
We extract and a JDAM is called in to annihilate whatever was left we didn't capture or kill.
Anyway being the nice guys we are, they picked up the left overs and brought the wounded into the FOB. They were all anti-american Iraqis.
When the JDAM hit the building it fell on this one guy. They brought him into the make-shift detention center SCREAMING. His legs had compound fractures the whole 9 yards.
All I remember hearing was "DOC!" "CORPSMEN!" and this detainee screaming for Allah.
He had a wrap around his head that was placed hastily by the enlisted corpsmen on the ground. When the Doc removed the bandages his brains were hanging out and part of his skull was missing.

As much as I hated those pricks, I felt bad for the guy.
So if a guy like me that was shooting at this dude 20 minutes earlier felt bad seeing this, imagine seeing the guys you cut your teeth with and love come in everyday all ****ed up.

Don't listen to the bonus ****, or how they are gonna pay off your college debt. Ask youself if you love your country enough to be away from your family and loved ones for 15 months.

Because at the end of the day, that money isn't gonna mean ****. If you join for the money and benefits you're going to regret it. If you remind yourself you are doing this because you love your country then it is worth it everyday.

I am proud of having served my country. No one can ever take that away from me. BUT IT CHANGES YOU. You'll never be the same.
I knwo it sounds corney but it's true. You do it for the flag, and you cry like a baby when they play the national anthem when you get back.

...oh and you get major pussy with the uniform

-- Currently Home/Deployed.
PhillyLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Drftpretty
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1994

My Ride:

^Exactly why I asked. Thank you sir.

I wasnt interested for the money. I was inspired to go talk to the navy boys because of the ER doc who did a tour and just got back. I have seen some pretty bad scenes as a ER Trauma shadow and running with local Ambulance corps. So I know I can handle the gore, just never was exposed to having such a close relationship with the patient.

The money was just another selling point that made it hard to find reasons not to go.

Thanks

Last edited by Drftpretty; 04-13-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
PhillyLS1
Tri-State Addict

Member #3221

My Ride:
00 Camaro SS 11 Mustang 11 GS Vette

Send a message via AIM to PhillyLS1 Send a message via Yahoo to PhillyLS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftpretty View Post
^Exactly why I asked. Thank you sir.
Don't call me "sir" I work for a living ;) (you'll find out what that means later if you join)

Also one more piece of advice. Go into this job thinking that you are a Marine. Corpsmen are basically Marines. You'll be working with them alot in certain situation.
Get used to the term "Squid."

-- Currently Home/Deployed.
PhillyLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
SpeedCorps
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5752

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyLS1 View Post
Don't call me "sir" I work for a living ;) (you'll find out what that means later if you join)

Also one more piece of advice. Go into this job thinking that you are a Marine. Corpsmen are basically Marines. You'll be working with them alot in certain situation.
Get used to the term "Squid."
Definately true. When I was in the Marines, we busted the Corpsmans balls alot but we treated them like brothers.
Don't join on just one individuals opinions. Some guys get lucky and skate through without a hitch. They tell you all the good stuff, but leave out the bad etc. Being in the military is not a 9 to 5 job, it's a whole lifestyle. You eat, breath and **** green. And having a girlfriend, wife or family in the military is not easy. They get tired of you being away and the small paychecks. It's not easy. Do alot of research and ask alot of questions.
SpeedCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCorps View Post
Do alot of research and ask alot of questions.
exactly, boot camp starts may 1st he said... that's not a lot of time to consider what he's been told.

Its a big, life altering, choice Aaron.

Think carefully bud.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
soap + sock = /thread
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx View Post
soap + sock = /thread
hahaha

den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
omgjacki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5869

My Ride:
2018 CX-5 GT Premium, 2018 Honda Grom

Send a message via AIM to omgjacki Send a message via Yahoo to omgjacki
Bringing this back.

I'm seriously considering joining as a Corpsman. I wouldn't be going in as an officer, though since I have no prior schooling.

I'm making an appointment to speak to a recruiter this coming week. Let's talk me out of it.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
JSpecV03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6345

My Ride:
2006 Acura TSX,1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0, and cammed out Spec V with a blown motor.

Send a message via AIM to JSpecV03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgjacki View Post
Bringing this back.

I'm seriously considering joining as a Corpsman. I wouldn't be going in as an officer, though since I have no prior schooling.

I'm making an appointment to speak to a recruiter this coming week. Let's talk me out of it.
the military has its ups and downs, just make sure you know what your getting into before hand, talk to alot of people, etc. alot of times the recruiters will lie to get you in. although once you graduate boot camp, the feeling of accomplishment you will have will be like no other. thats how i felt when i got outa bootcamp. i was in the army reserves.
Every Nasty Vehical Illustrates Our Useless Spending
JSpecV03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
angdefeo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14238

My Ride:
09 WRX STi, 10 Evo X

you should watch this documentary before going the navy. i watched most of it over the past few weeks. its showed the ups and downs of life in the navy. there are many positives but for me a lot of negatives which impact your personal life.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/
angdefeo is offline   Reply With Quote