TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #81
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
is there any way you could lawyer up?
Yup, a couple steps come before that first. I have these guys on my mind:

https://www.hbsslaw.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #82
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Update on the car:

Due to the investigation, GM told my local dealer to hold off on repairing the vehicle. The car has been with the dealer since October 14th. Once GM decided that they weren't going to cover anything, they hadn't contacted the dealer for them to begin the repairs or contact me to call the dealer to have the repairs done on my dime.

In other words, over 2 months later and not only has GM not stepped up and done the right thing, they also have had the dealer screwed and holding onto the car for over 9 weeks now.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #83
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
GM sucks ass.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #84
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
GM sucks ass.
Wish I could like comments.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #85
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

This is crazy. I would be livid.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #86
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Dealer called me today and the car should be repaired end of next week. They are waiting on a new headliner to be delivered and then will be replacing the windshield. The good news is that the car has been kept indoors and covered this entire time since it didn't have the windshield on it. I'm also having them repair the rear deck rattle when the stereo is on since they have time to kill.

No damage to the car was done underneath (unlike what the GM rep claimed), so the car is getting an alignment and it's done.

Total bill is $6732 before taxes. I'll need to hire a tow truck to bring it back to my house with the winter temps and those tires.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #87
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
This is crazy. I would be livid.
I had a very honest conversation with a family member connected to GM that got this whole thing investigated. I won't post what was said, but have reached out to the law firm that sued GM over the ignition switch.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-21-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:43 AM   #88
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I wish you best of luck Dave. I am truly sorry this **** happened to you, buddy
Old 12-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #89
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I wish you best of luck Dave. I am truly sorry this **** happened to you, buddy
Thanks Kenny. I guess it was only a matter of time before one of the cars I've had went south.

I'm starting to be limited on what brands to buy. I had a Ford blow up on me in college after tons of problems, had two bad Camaro experiences with a GM fiasco and as much as I love VW products, after they gassed animals, they're not allowed in the driveway either. As good as the STi was to me, after the GD I've lost interest in Subaru. That leaves the GT86, upcoming Supra, a Civic Type R (which not my cup of tea visually), the Miata (might actually consider the new one thanks to you), and....

Next car is more than likely going to be a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsche.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #90
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

You already know my opinion of German cars (other than Porsche....)

Considering the cars you've come from, I think you'd be pretty disappointed in a stock GT86/BRZ, but you know what they can do in modified form.

I could see you owning a new Supra assuming the price is right.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #91
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

German cars are off limits for me unless I can keep them stock and they are under warranty. The new rs3 looks tempting.

New miatas would also be on my short list but I need a back seat now. I have been considering checking out the Genesis G70.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #92
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Yeah, you've got a tough search ahead. So many "good" cars but very few really check all of the boxes.

I'm biased, but I think an M4 CS would suit you.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #93
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thank you guys

The ZL1 is still at the dealership...heading into month 3 now. While it was in there, I've asked for the rear deck rattle to be fixed. (Might as well, right?)

Financially, it's very tempting to dump the car and save the payment every month...maybe get a larger house with a bigger garage.

On the other hand, I almost consider the car a sunk cost at this point too. I could just pay it off quicker and eat **** until something else catches my eye.

The Supra looks promising, from what I've read it's basically a candy wrapped BMW Z4. Interior is BMW and the engine is the M235i motor (right?)

Styling appears to be much like most JDM stuff these days, but it has enough curves to not be too samurai-toaster in appearance. Worth a test drive.

The Miata/Fiat twins continue to look great to me...I just wonder about size. The previous versions were tight for me in the interior despite my lack of height haha. I'll have to test drive it as well.

German cars are more expensive to maintain but what I'd buy used is a pretty short list:
-997 911 Carrera S
-BMW M2 Competition in a year or two (worth a test drive - have heard good things, wasn't overly blown away by original M2)

M-B C63 is very tempting for a CPO DD with maintenance coverage. Love the 2019 refresh.

M4 CS is something I hadn't considered due to price tag but maybe they're reasonable CPO?

It's hard to stay angry after 3 months...despite the amount of great options, it's hard to decide on one too. This may take me awhile to figure out. I don't want to pull the trigger and regret it within a year....my wife might injure me Jokes aside, at this point of driving my E90 everyday...I'll take pretty much anything! haha

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 01-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #94
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Glad to hear you're not as angry, haha. Still, **** GM

Supra being automatic only gets an automatic fail from me personally. Otherwise, it seems like a good package. Likely gonna be priced stupidly though I still think you'd love it, and I probably would too, haha.

I love my Miata, but it's small. Try one on for size.

911 is bae. M2 Comp is... ok? No love for modern BMWs, but it's a good car.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #95
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Glad to hear you're not as angry, haha. Still, **** GM

Supra being automatic only gets an automatic fail from me personally. Otherwise, it seems like a good package. Likely gonna be priced stupidly though I still think you'd love it, and I probably would too, haha.

I love my Miata, but it's small. Try one on for size.

911 is bae. M2 Comp is... ok? No love for modern BMWs, but it's a good car.
Haha, yeah. The dealership is at least being great about things...they took 10% off the original price and fixed everything i asked under warranty aside from the airbag crap. They also threw in a full detail of the car without me asking. That's something i had gotten used to from going to BMW/MB/Porsche dealerships but Chevy almost never did it for service work before.

(guess there's a ton of margin, huh?)

anyways...car is ready for pickup..heading over today to get it home before temps drop and snow comes. I'm very excited to drive it...the BMW is great but...automatic sedans aren't my passion.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #96
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Picked the car up last night and took it out today in sunlight and looked it over.

Dealer repair is good. I don’t hear any rattling, plastic fitment isn’t outside realm of factory quality (good enough to not look ****ty). Speaker rattles were repaired as requested. Interior is tight now like the SS was. Headliner is installed correctly. All lighting, moonroof and switches work. No stretches or loose fabric at the windshield (common defect on the camaro).

Windshield had to be removed to do the headliner. No leaks or wind noise so far. The detail guy left spray wax on it that I will have to clay off but seals look good. So basically all of my fears with a dealer repair so far appear to not have happened

They even buffed out a cone mark.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #97
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Not bad. Glad to hear the car checks out OK man!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #98
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Not bad. Glad to hear the car checks out OK man!
Thank you, what an ordeal.

The dealership definitely did all they could, GM just failed me.

I really missed driving a car like this. And this drives really damn good. But....

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #99
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Want to see my ZL1 pop it’s airbags?

Loaded up the PDR and uploaded this to YouTube, come watch my bad driving and stay for the ending.

https://youtu.be/H03gqhe7UpU

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #100
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Rip