TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Send a message via AIM to RayArroyo
ok lets say you had an evo and an sti

an wanted to get rid of the evo so that you could save money a month to purchase a new house once you were debt free.

here are the choices what would you choose.

VW Rabbit with the 17"s and the lip spoiler in united gray
Honda civic lx in white
mazda 3 4 door sedan i
08 lancer es

which one would you choose and why
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
mr_eh
Tri-State Addict

Member #1149

My Ride:
Zenki S14 - Sold the SRT4

08 lancer es, cause it looks like the evo, and you can pretend it's an evo by making turbo noises

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

no thread for current s2000.
mr_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
auk113
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #89

VW all the way

auk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

we were thinking es because we plan on buying a 10 in 3 years once we move and are all caught up
Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by auk113 View Post
VW all the way

i like it !!!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
cranshinibon
Tri-State Addict

Member #2907

My Ride:
1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2l V6

Send a message via AIM to cranshinibon
get rid of the sti, pay off the evo and save for the house.

cranshinibon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
lancerxoz
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3677

My Ride:
'09 Satin White Pearl, Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Send a message via AIM to lancerxoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_eh View Post
08 lancer es, cause it looks like the evo, and you can pretend it's an evo by making turbo noises
haha sounds like a day in the life of me. jk, dont hate though my OZ is pretty lol

but seriously, idk how many people on here have really checked out the new 08 lancer.. but I anticipated the arrival of them like crazzzzy, went out on my 21st birthday cus I was gonna buy one..

Sitting inside of it, was amazing. I looked at a GTS and the fosgate navigation was insane awesome. I started to drive (5 spd), and the car felt significantly slower than mine (i drive an 03 lancer oz rally 5spd), and it was alot louder than my car. When the rpm's went up, the car got louder. Which is typical and fine, but for a 2008 and the money you would be spending, you should have something a little above the rest ya know??

Check it out if you like it.. but i dont think the ES comes w/ the 17'' factory rims, but im sure you can pick up some fresh hub caps. lol.. Mazda or VW would be my choice, and thats coming from a mitsu lover
lancerxoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranshinibon View Post
get rid of the sti, pay off the evo and save for the house.
it wont be much of a benefit to get rid of the the sti. our payments are pretty cheap on it.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerxoz View Post
haha sounds like a day in the life of me. jk, dont hate though my OZ is pretty lol

but seriously, idk how many people on here have really checked out the new 08 lancer.. but I anticipated the arrival of them like crazzzzy, went out on my 21st birthday cus I was gonna buy one..

Sitting inside of it, was amazing. I looked at a GTS and the fosgate navigation was insane awesome. I started to drive (5 spd), and the car felt significantly slower than mine (i drive an 03 lancer oz rally 5spd), and it was alot louder than my car. When the rpm's went up, the car got louder. Which is typical and fine, but for a 2008 and the money you would be spending, you should have something a little above the rest ya know??

Check it out if you like it.. but i dont think the ES comes w/ the 17'' factory rims, but im sure you can pick up some fresh hub caps. lol.. Mazda or VW would be my choice, and thats coming from a mitsu lover

i could care less about wheels, i want a brand new house lol but as for the power now im realy curious what it is like behind the wheel of one. i will let you know jess after my test drive. i do however love the rabbit.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
no point in getting the lancer if you're doing it to save money.

i say get a civic if you just want responsible and logical, get the vw if you want to throw a little fun into the mix too. we can be old school vw buddies if we both get em

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Go for the lancer. As much as I don't like Mitsubishi, with the exception of the Evo which is a lot of what you want in a car like being reliable, the new lancer looks sharp, is very affordable, and they say handles very well.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

dont get a mazda I get the Mazda S (trim, not mazda 3 speed). I am doing pretty much what your doing, trying to find a really really cheap monthly payment so i can buy a house. its hard. its really hard.

they were having a leasing special on the mazda 3i's but when i went to look at them they seemed blah compared to the small amenities the mazda 3s comes with with (fog lights, 17's, better front grill, etc). its all those small things i have trouble overlooking............. i dunno. same with the civic. i went to look at the lx and ended up driving a si around. i suck at this crap.

the mazda drove better than the civic and VW, imo. but the civic was cheaper........ so i dunno.
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

keep your evo, get rid of the STi

id vote for the mazda3, id personaly go with the wagon over the sedan though
tjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken5hift View Post
dont get a mazda I get the Mazda S (trim, not mazda 3 speed). I am doing pretty much what your doing, trying to find a really really cheap monthly payment so i can buy a house. its hard. its really hard.

they were having a leasing special on the mazda 3i's but when i went to look at them they seemed blah compared to the small amenities the mazda 3s comes with with (fog lights, 17's, better front grill, etc). its all those small things i have trouble overlooking............. i dunno. same with the civic. i went to look at the lx and ended up driving a si around. i suck at this crap.

the mazda drove better than the civic and VW, imo. but the civic was cheaper........ so i dunno.
thats exactly the issue we were having we were looking at a base lancer and loved the es with the spoiler and wheels. same with the 3 falling for the s and with the civic looking at the si. these base cars are like mouse traps they get you in then you fall for the nicer one. im having such a hard time.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

how about a newer used car, or possibly a lease

the lancer i saw the GTS model, its awsome and it comes with the same navi, dvd media player with 30gb hard drive that we have in the outlander

Last edited by tjf; 07-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
tjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #16
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
how about a newer used car, or possibly a lease
also opened to that
Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i thought you meant an old rabbit. if you're trying to save money get a cheap used car for under 5k... thats my vote, it'll give you a 10k push right from the start.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
turbo4g63
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1057

My Ride:
98' 4runner

Send a message via AIM to turbo4g63
i would say to pick up a used civic....they can be gotten really cheap. they are extremely reliable (if you don't mod it) basically the ultimate economy car. the others i would assume are new, so you'll have payments on them...if you get a used civic...there is a good chance you can pay for one in cash so you'll have a great opportunity to put money away (assuming you don't dump it all into your sti)
Old 07-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
su_maverick
Tri-State Addict

Member #1755

My Ride:
2001 Saturn SC1

I say a used Accord, Civic or Camry for your daily. They are reliable and have great resale value once its time to trade up. For something really cheap, get a used Saturn. They have horrible resale which means you can get one really cheap and they are almost as dependable as Toyotas and Hondas.

I bought my 01 Saturn SC1 in 2004 with 75k on it for 3800 in great condition.
I now have 142k on it in 2007 (almost exactly 3 years later).

That means I am averaging almost 1300 a year in cost on the car and about 6 cents per mile. Less if I get any type of resale out of it.

If you were to apply that to a new Honda Civic at around 15k purchase price with interest added in.
You would be spending $6,333.33 for 100,000 miles and still have to recoup the other $8,676.67 in resale.
su_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
The VW cause I value driver involvement, handling, and fun before reliably and mod-ability. European cars are just more fun to drive some how.