TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Vendor Marketplace > [TST] Vendors > (Past Vendors)
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
FleaDog
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5242

My Ride:
20G-XT'd '06 STI

2006 STI stage 2+ tune by Ray

Hey Guys, I'll tentatively be getting tuned with Ray tomorrow, hopefully the weather cooperates, I don't want to be doing pulls in the rain lol.

Anyhow, I'm very excited as I have been accumulating and installing parts since last fall.

Info:
- 2006 STI
- stock VF39 turbo
- Custom vibrant uppipe, Tial 38mm external wastegate
- Ported stock exhaust collectors (headers)
- Grimmspeed Crossover pipe
- 'Hybrid' boost control system using grimmspeed 3-port EBCS and Hallman
evo-rx MBC
- SSAC 'giant' TMIC
- Silicine turbo inlet
- DW 740 cc injectors
- Walbro fuel pump
- Perrin 65mm CAI, empty foglight mod
- HKS catless downpipe
- Invidia G200 exhaust
- NGK plugs

Will let you guys know how the cars running tomorrow

Last edited by FleaDog; 05-07-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
FleaDog
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5242

My Ride:
20G-XT'd '06 STI

Things are running good! I hadn't installed (mounted) the MBC properly, and forgot to bring a decent bolt/nut to clamp the VF wastegate shut, so that really hampered things. I apologize for that again Ray... I should have read Ray's 'prep for tuning page' more than I did because I wasn't fully prepared and that ate-up a lot of time compensating for those issues. Don't be un-prepared like I was folks.

Anyhow, Ray installed the DW 740 injectors, and put on the new plugs before tuning, which he thoroughly enjoys . Fortunately he was using the same brand/flow injectors on one of his prior setups, and he was able to pull-up the injector latency settings, etc. on his computer and apply them to mine and it worked well. He remarked how DW injectors are generally a lot easier to tune for. With the new plugs and bigger injectors + tune, the car actually idles smoother than than stock!

We didnt hook-up the dual EBCS + MBC ('hybrid') setup, but only used the Hallman evo rx MBC. Its pretty cool because it has a long 72" adjustment knob extension that you can route into the cabin to make adjustments without having to physically get in/out of the car and back under the hood to adjust the 'common' MBC. (http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/order.html)

We weren't able to hit 20 PSI of boost with the light ball spring and ceramic ball, but the next day I installed the heavy spring and steel ball into the MBC and its boosting to 20 PSI effortlessly.

We hooked the MBC to the tial 38mm EWG, and that went fine. I've never been in a car with a EWG, and my god, these things are loud... I mean if you do a WOT pull with the windows down, it could make your ears ring .

So far, the car feels great. The torque is nuts.
Thanks again Ray!

Pics:

Last edited by FleaDog; 05-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
do you have any power numbers?

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Send a message via AIM to RayArroyo
They end up making with ewg and larger injectors about 325 whp and 347 tq
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
wow, very nice. I always love the good amount of torque that the subbie motors end up putting out! congrats on your numbers man.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
FleaDog
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5242

My Ride:
20G-XT'd '06 STI

I stopped by Ray's to trouble-shoot a 'stumble' I felt when going WOT through the gears. He had me take a good spin and he thoroughly checked out the map and all the car's "vitals" per-se. Everything still looked great as far as the tune, as it did initially.

The problem was I was just shifting a little too late and getting drive-by-wire hesitation or lag... which is completely normal. I just need to shift a little sooner to stay more in the power band.

This thing has so much darn torque, and spools so friggen fast, combined with the fact that I just haven't paddled through the gears WOT in months b/c I was babying the car awaiting the tune, and it's like I gotta get used to flogging the car all over again. So chalk it up to the driver (me).

Anyhow, thanks Ray for being receptive to my concerns and checking on things for me!

beers!

Last edited by FleaDog; 05-23-2009 at 08:33 PM.