TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Putting the brakes on illegal street racing - Channel 6 News Report

Here's the story:

Quote:
By Dann Cuellar

PHILADELPHIA - May 26, 2010 (WPVI) -- Car racing has been around for almost as long as there have been cars and it's not a bad thing.

It's an exciting sport, but the streets are no place for racing and police have tried all sorts of ways to stop it, but nothing has been as effective as what they're doing now in partnership with state police.

Thanks to the advent of YouTube, videos of illegal street racing in Philadelphia can be found all over the internet and they can be pretty elaborate.

Complete with flaggers and time keepers, some street races seen on YouTube were staged recently on the streets of Southwest Philadelphia, organized on social web sites and impressively memorialized for all to see by videographers like one man who Action News met with, who did not want to be identified.

"The adrenaline rush people get is just going fast. Going fast, you know, fast & furious," the videographer said.

Indeed, no movie has done more to boost the popularity of street racing than the 2001 movie, 'The Fast & the Furious.'

"Everybody wants to be a part of it, everybody wants to drive a fast car," the videographer said.

But police say illegal street racing can and has taken its toll on innocent people as well as street racers and spectators.

"That's a problem for us...over the years, it's a constant problem," Captain Kevin Hodges of the Philadelphia Police said.

According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, an average of 135 people die each year in the U.S. in street racing accidents. But police believe that number to be on the low side.

Police have tried placing so-called rumble strips on the roadways to discourage street racing, but, according to the videographer, "It doesn't do anything, it actually gives a better spot to warm up your tires."

But recently, police have been teaming up with state police employing a new and, apparently, effective tactic. With aerial surveillance provided by a police helicopter in the sky, police swoop down on street racers and their spectators blocking off all exits and corralling them with no escape.

"We can stop between 100 to 150 cars when we do one of these drag racing sweeps. and when we stop these vehicles, we're looking for everything, your driver license, properly insured, properly registered," Hodges said.

Racers can get tickets ranging from $100 to $300, and spectators have also been ticketed at $90 a pop. The price tag apparently is having an impact.

"Back a couple years ago, we used to have a good 150 cars-to 200 cars show up, [and now,] we'll probably have around 50 to 60 cars," the videographer said.

Police recognize that many youth, particularly males, seem to have an inherent need for speed and they encourage them to go to legal drag strips like the Atco Speedway where it's safe and supervised.

As we head into the summer, police are also gearing up to round up illegal street racers and their spectators.

(Copyright ©2010 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
2001teg
Tri-State Addict

Member #7004

My Ride:
2001 Integra GSR/Type-R

They can try all they want, but sadly street racing is like a terrorist cell. If one place gets shut down they will find another. It will keep evolving around the city.
2001teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
I just hope they don't start harrasing groups hanging out more-so than they do now and saying they are "organized racers".
Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
guy really referenced F&F.
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
09Speed3Z
Tri-State Addict

Member #15490

My Ride:
2009 MazdaSpeed3

01 Teg is right, it's like a virus and it's not going away.

But noooooooooooo one on TST street races so we don't have to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
09Speed3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
wait the races still exist?

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

$300 is a lot but isn't a lot.

If they want to end street racing then take the racer's car and decimate it.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujito View Post
$300 is a lot but isn't a lot.

If they want to end street racing then take the racer's car and decimate it.
thought they did that.

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
g0dzuki
Tri-State Addict

Member #15544

My Ride:
Scion tC

I understand a few pulls here and there but organized races is whack I believe. What is sad is that a lot of people use big meets that started just as a chill meet but now is a big meet to find new people to race which attracts negative attention from the police.

g0dzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
max2k1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #393

My Ride:
Wheelchair

Send a message via AIM to max2k1
Well since I saw the other thread about this first I posted over there. So Im just pasting what I wrote in the other thread here

All of that police footage was from years ago lol. The video of the cops blocking everyone in was taped bye 2 guys that escaped the blockade after a few hours with a group of cars without getting caught. How come they didnt show that? haha... They do one of these news reports about street racing right before the summer every year. They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here. And of course every idiot they interview talks about The Fast and The Furious. They never show the guys with fast cars racing on these reports. Oh yeah thats because the guys with fast cars are smart enough to go to places where they dont cause a big scene so they dont get attention from the cops. These reporters are so dumb and clueless as to what really goes on in the streets of Philadelphia . If those reporters actually saw some of the actual fast cars race, they would probably sh1t their pants haha... Also that car with the ghetto street glow kit behind the guy at the end of the video was Awesome. Lets you know about the quality of cars that go to Holstein to race

The Story Behind My Avatar

Quote:
They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here.
max2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
superskaterxes
Tri-State Addict

Member #10675

My Ride:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6

Send a message via AIM to superskaterxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k1 View Post
They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here.
epic quote hahahaha
GT3076R BITCHES ~ TXS BOV ~ 3" MAF SRI ~ AP PROtune'd ~ MBC ~ Custom FMIC w/Treadstone TR8 Core ~ CPE DP ~ DNP Mani w/Tial 38mm MV-S EWG VTA'd~ CPE BT TIP ~ TWM SS ~ CPE RMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ BC CO's slammed ~ SPC BJ's ~ EBC Red's ~ Stoptech's ~ Technafit SS Lines ~ Autometer Boost & STRI EGT ~ 20% Tint ~ LED Tails ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ Whiteline RSB ~ PnP'd IM ~ CDFP Internals ~ labonte meth kit ~ VC tapped OCC
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by superskaterxes View Post
epic quote hahahaha
...lol
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #13
gotvtec?
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16013

My Ride:
2012 AUDI S4 3.0T 6SPD

As long as cars are around street racing will never stop. Philly has been one of the biggest street racing scenes on the east for years and it still is.
Sounds like your on track to blow motor #2 already.
gotvtec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
max2k1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #393

My Ride:
Wheelchair

Send a message via AIM to max2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotvtec? View Post
As long as cars are around street racing will never stop. Philly has been one of the biggest street racing scenes on the east for years and it still is.
That probably has to do with Philly being the 2nd largest city in the east

The Story Behind My Avatar

Quote:
max2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
gotvtec?
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16013

My Ride:
2012 AUDI S4 3.0T 6SPD

Bay area racing is where its at though any one seen their videos on youtube
Sounds like your on track to blow motor #2 already.
gotvtec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
VERTZX
Tri-State Addict

Member #15874

My Ride:
Whines..

Send a message via AIM to VERTZX
anyone wanna go racing tonight!? nah jk.. street racing isnt going anywhere. if philly wants to eliminate it completely(which isnt possible) they would have to make "illegal mod" laws. like cali, ride height, modified intake/exhaust nitrous etc etc etc. and pull any1 over that has any of the above. thats the only way 2 slow it down.. u get pulled over 3 times 4 an illegal mod impounded car. that would end it REAL quick. although 98% of this forum would be ticketed.. not that i agree with it, but thats how you WOULD slow it..
Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC- BLEW & SOLD
2003 Hyundai elantra, STI clone.
VERTZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTZX View Post
anyone wanna go racing tonight!? nah jk.. street racing isnt going anywhere. if philly wants to eliminate it completely(which isnt possible) they would have to make "illegal mod" laws. like cali, ride height, modified intake/exhaust nitrous etc etc etc. and pull any1 over that has any of the above. thats the only way 2 slow it down.. u get pulled over 3 times 4 an illegal mod impounded car. that would end it REAL quick. although 98% of this forum would be ticketed.. not that i agree with it, but thats how you WOULD slow it..
id move to a diffrent state, or get out of state tags.

But no matter what they do they cant stop it.

And cops use things like these to target areas that people hang out at, for instance, we hang out at the wawa in WC, cops drive by every half hour, sometimes their nice and stop and talk, but then sometimes their assholes and tell us to leave...then we go to wendys.

But we just hang out there, we arent racing, we arent doing burnouts, we arent drinking, we arent doing drugs. we are chillin infront of our cars in a group, eating the food of whereever we are at the time. Most of us go into wawa 2-3 times a night if we are there for a few hours.

And then when you get pulled over or something like that , or get in an accident, cops bust your balls for this and that, oh those arent the wheels that came with the car are they, oh that car is too low, oh its too loud, blah blah blah.

Try as they might they will not be able to stop it, unless they do that cali thing with the impounding of cars, and they would need to get those guns from 2f2f and arm every cop in the city with them, the ones they shoot at the car and it shuts everything down..lol

That being said, i do not race, nor do i think it is the smartest thing in the world. And if your gonnna, why the hell would you go somewhere the cops are prob ready to nail? go somewhere far far away from anyone else, get your speed, prove ur point, you have the faster car, dont crash into anyone, dont kill anyone, and its not that big of a deal IMO.
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxdsix View Post
And cops use things like these to target areas that people hang out at, for instance, we hang out at the wawa in WC, cops drive by every half hour, sometimes their nice and stop and talk, but then sometimes their assholes and tell us to leave...then we go to wendys.

But we just hang out there, we arent racing, we arent doing burnouts, we arent drinking, we arent doing drugs. we are chillin infront of our cars in a group, eating the food of whereever we are at the time. Most of us go into wawa 2-3 times a night if we are there for a few hours.
I used to love hanging out at the Wawa in town. I'd never go there looking for a race, or even thinking about that. I take my Interceptor, hang out, BS with some friends, meet new people, make fun of all the idiot drunks from the bars, and provide Wawa with $$$ for the foods and drinks I buy. The longer I am there, the more I buy... so what's wrong with that? It pisses me off when the LEO's make the "rounds" and kick us out. I know it's not every time, but on my bike I can't ride and eat.
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
Quote:
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
I used to love hanging out at the Wawa in town. I'd never go there looking for a race, or even thinking about that. I take my Interceptor, hang out, BS with some friends, meet new people, make fun of all the idiot drunks from the bars, and provide Wawa with $$$ for the foods and drinks I buy. The longer I am there, the more I buy... so what's wrong with that? It pisses me off when the LEO's make the "rounds" and kick us out. I know it's not every time, but on my bike I can't ride and eat.
exactly, they must not realize that we spend crazy amounts of money when we're there.

Like the amount of cigs, and food that people buy when we're there is crazy.

15-30 people buying food in exchange for like 10 parking spots that are unused and out of the way seems like a pretty good ****in deal to me.

We're friends with alot of the people that work there, but when we see certain people come out and start looking around we just all get in our cars and go to wendys next door...and then we all buy wendys food, so nobody can tell us we're loitering..etc because we are eating their food, and they put picnic tables outside for their food to be eaten at.

We bring them money, they kick us out.

make sence? no, do they still do it? yes.
Quote:
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxdsix View Post
exactly, they must not realize that we spend crazy amounts of money when we're there.

Like the amount of cigs, and food that people buy when we're there is crazy.

15-30 people buying food in exchange for like 10 parking spots that are unused and out of the way seems like a pretty good ****in deal to me.

We're friends with alot of the people that work there, but when we see certain people come out and start looking around we just all get in our cars and go to wendys next door...and then we all buy wendys food, so nobody can tell us we're loitering..etc because we are eating their food, and they put picnic tables outside for their food to be eaten at.

We bring them money, they kick us out.

make sence? no, do they still do it? yes.
I've seen Wawa's with picnic tables outside (Route 202 near 73 in North Wales). I think this Wawa needs that as well. We should complain to the managers, or corporate. I've seen on my firearms forums that sending letters to the right people CAN and often does help change peoples opinions. It's not a guarantee by any means, but if you get enough people complaining about being mistreated while legitimately buying foods and drinks, I think they'd respond.

Matter of fact, I am going to do that momentarily. Do we know if the complaints are coming from Wawa manager's? Or just the police saying they're receiving complaints?
Quote: