TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Toyota / Lexus Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Mishimoto Radiator Install into MKIV Supra - photo tutorial

Mishimoto Radiator and Silicone Hose Install
93-98 Toyota Supra (MKIV)

Parts Installed:
Mishimoto Radiator
Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hoses (optional)
(reused factory parts: fan shroud and bracket, mounts, auxilliary fan, factory coolant temperature sensor)

Tools Needed:
Ratchet with extension and 10mm socket
Flathead screwdriver (to release lower shroud metal clips)
Pliers to remove factory hose clamps
Utility Knife and/or Cut-off tool (to trim mounts)
Round File (to notch upper mount bolt holes)
Jack and 2 jackstands

Here is the Mishimoto radiator for the MKIV Supra which I am installing along with Mishimoto silicone radiator hoses. The install is fairly simple and only requires basic tools.

Removing the stock radiator
I don't have photos of removing the old radiator but here is what you do (photos of the reverse process are below if it helps):
1) Find the coolant drain plug at the bottom of your radiator and open it up to drain your coolant into a pan. Do this with the car level, or if you can't get under there then jack all four corners up evenly.
2) While it is draining, remove the upper coolant hose to drain to allow air in through the top as the coolant runs out the bottom. You can also remove the hose leading to the coolant overflow reservoir.
3) Once the coolant has drained pretty well, jack the front of the car up safely using a jack and jackstands. Get under the car and locate the factory coolant temp sensor and unplug it. While you are under the car, remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator (or completely remove it if you are replacing it with the Mishimoto radiator hoses).
4) Before you get out from under the car, remove the lower shroud from around the bottom half of the fan. It is held in by 2 clips, one on either side. Use a flathead screwdriver to release the clips and the shroud should come off.
5) There are 2 other plugs that must be unclipped for the fans... you should be able to reach these from the top.
6) Use the ratchet and 10mm socket to remove the 2 upper brackets, they are each held in by a 10mm bolt.
7) Now the radiator should be free to remove. Carefully lift it out from the top, and be prepared for some more coolant to leak out if you tip the radiator back at all.

Installing the Mishimoto Radiator
Old radiator and shroud removed, and now is a good time to remove your fan as well and paint it black if you want... mine was yellow and just looked aged.

An initial test fit showed that the radiator fit, but sat a little high... the top brackets were not flush with the radiator support.

I shaved down the upper rubber mounts to make a bit more room for the brackets to sit flush. Left is stock, right is modified.

I notched both upper bracket holes in order to position the radiator to sit just behind the radiator support so it had a safe distance where they wouldn't come in contact with each other.

I shaved a good 1/4" or more off of the lower rubber mounts so that the radiator would sit a little bit lower and fit better. Make sure to keep a bit of the upper lip like in the picture so the mounts are still functional.

This is one of the posts on the radiator for the lower mount. If it was flush with the core I think fitment would be perfect, but since the base is raised up, that is roughly the amount I removed from the rubber to offset it.

This is the rear right lower corner of the radiator with the factory water temp sensor installed, and the white plastic drain valve next to it. The lower mount is also installed in this photo, lightly greased on both inside and out.

Now its time to install the shroud and fan, and put it into the car... here is a step by step on how the pieces install.

Here is the bare radiator with just the water temp sensor and lower mounts installed.

Next, the main shroud is bolted on using the factory bolts in the original mounting points. The upper passenger side mounting point reuses the small metal bracket.

The auxilliary fan is added next, again using factory bolts in the factory mounting locations. (Note: this fan does not exist on the NA Supra but all other fitment should be exactly the same)

This photo shows how the lower shroud is installed just as an example, but it should not actually be installed until the radiator is mounted in the car. It is secured by 2 metal clips, one on either side.

Next, carefully lower the radiator into the car, lining up the lower mounts which may need to be wiggled into place but should drop in. You can then install the upper mounts as well. Also make sure to plug in the coolant temp sensor as well as the 2 fan plugs.

Then install the Mishimoto silicone upper radiator hose, using hose clamps on either end. Make them good and snug but don't overtighten to the point that it digs into the hoses. Also attach the coolant reservoir hose to the port just under the filler cap.

Install the lower radiator hose in the same fashion using hose clamps.

You can now lower your car, and here's the finished product.

Filling your coolant system
Now you have to fill your coolant system. I strongly recommend a 50/50 mix of Toyota Red factory coolant and distilled water.
Take off the radiator cap and with the car on level ground, fill the radiator with coolant. Leave the cap off and start the car to let the water pump run and start burping the system. When the fluid level drops, add more to make sure no air enters the system. Let the car warm up fully and turn on the heater inside the car to its highest temperature and highest fan speed to pull the coolant through the system fully. Keep an eye on the system for the next couple of days to make sure the radiator is full and the coolant overflow reservoir is filled to the proper line.
(Hint: Coolant filling (on any car) is made easier with the Lisle Coolant Funnel, which can be found online at a variety of places and makes for an easier and cleaner process. Google it if you're interested...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 05-01-2009 at 09:50 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Got Insulin?
This message has been deleted by TROLL.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
If anyone has any questions just let me know

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:
98 supra tt/(2)97 supra tt

Send a message via AIM to pharnhyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
If anyone has any questions just let me know
Is that thing turbo?

MMMHmmm

How many pounds of boost are you running

mmhmmmm

How much did you get it for.

I get these questions all the time grrrr
97 Supra TT auto bpu daily #1
97 Supra TT auto #2
pharnhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
zex97
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #13406

My Ride:
Rockin the turbo'd SOHC on happy juice, Speed6

I remember when mishimoto was really, really cheap when they were a brand new startup. I love their rads. It looks sweet in tha Supra!
zex97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:
2008 EVO X, 1991 RHD J-Spec S13 (566RWHP)

Gee Bryan.... I'm kinda disappointed. I really expected a detailed and thorough install guide... and THIS was the best you could do?

Haha just kidding, good stuff as usual!
|
|
|
|
]

The Leader in Aftermarket Performance Cooling Technology
Offering Aluminum Radiators, Intercoolers, Silicone Hoses & Cooling Accessories
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to poisonivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharnhyte View Post
Is that thing turbo?

MMMHmmm

How many pounds of boost are you running

mmhmmmm

How much did you get it for.

I get these questions all the time grrrr

i dont know why, but when you said "mmhmm" after each thing, it reminded me of Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. lol

poisonivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
TR MS3
Tri-State Addict

Member #13820

My Ride:
07 MS3 & 09 CRV

LOL @ Pharnhyte. I'm more to the point. I would ask for a ride. Love supra's just can't afford one
TR MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:
98 supra tt/(2)97 supra tt

Send a message via AIM to pharnhyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR MS3 View Post
LOL @ Pharnhyte. I'm more to the point. I would ask for a ride. Love supra's just can't afford one
Actually if you have a MazdaSpeed 3 yeah you can.
97 Supra TT auto bpu daily #1
97 Supra TT auto #2
pharnhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
TR MS3
Tri-State Addict

Member #13820

My Ride:
07 MS3 & 09 CRV

I stole this MS3, I doubt I could find a MKIV TT for 18k.

Pretty sure it's your green supra I see around the area, sounds good man!

Last edited by TR MS3; 06-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.
TR MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Nick Merrone
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10807

My Ride:
c18det hatch

Send a message via AIM to Nick Merrone
yes. yes you could.

and nice write up bryan.
Nick Merrone is offline   Reply With Quote