TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Haha I dont know what came over me last night but I just came home and started typing and organizing and came up with that. Figured maybe some of the guys here could work to correct/clarify/add to what i typed and we can maybe have a sticky in the photo section for people to read when they're just getting into it.

Auto Exposure Modes:

Auto (A) - uses flash when the camera sees fit

Program (P) - doesn't automatically use flash, you have to turn it on if you want it

Portrait - automatically uses the largest aperture possible (while still keeping a shutter speed in the cameras range) for the smallest depth of field to isolate the subject

Landscape - automatically uses the smallest aperture possible in the shooting situation (while still keeping a shutter speed in the cameras range) for the largest depth of field. I'm not sure if it will also not adjust the shutter speed so that it is fast enough to avoid handheld camera shake.

Sports - automatically uses the highest shutter speed possible (based on the allowable aperture range)

Night - allows the shutter speed to drop below handheld shutter speeds (usually about 1/20 or 1/30) and assumes you're shooting on a tripod. The longer shutter speeds are often necessary to expose photos to expose fully at night, with or without flash.

Semi-Auto and Manual Exposure Modes:

Aperture Priority (Av) - You select the aperture you want to use yourself, and the camera calculates what it believes is the correct corresponding shutter speed based on the ISO that is set and the luminance of the shooting situation.

Shutter Priority (Tv) - You select the shutter speed you want to use yourself, and the camera calculates what it believes is the correct corresponding aperture automatically based on the ISO that is set and the luminance of the shooting situation.

Manual (M) - You select both aperture and shutter speed. You have help to set this properly... there is a light meter built in onto almost all cameras which will guide you to what the camera believes is the correct exposure. This is a very helpful tool and should definitely be used, but also consider that the camera isnt always right, especially in tougher lighting situations, which is why sometimes you need to override its suggestions (and why all other shooting modes sometimes wont work).

Looking through the viewfinder: Light Meter
This will vary by camera but here is what the viewfinder looks like on a Nikon D40x. Take a look at the labels for each thing. Also notice the light meter exposure scale toward the middle with a 0 in the center and + and - on either end. There is a lot more to making a 'good' exposure, but just to get started, practice getting the meter to read as close to the center of this scale as you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|

Last edited by TROLL; 10-03-2008 at 01:29 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
Stanic
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #426

My Ride:
04 VW Golf

i have the d40 and some pics look okay at 1600 depending on the lighting... but avoid hi1 at almost all costs...

all of the advice above should help you to gradually improve your pictures...
Stanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
gtsiawd96
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #227

My Ride:
1995 Eagle talon Tsi Awd

Send a message via AIM to gtsiawd96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
Looking through the viewfinder: Light Meter
This will vary by camera but here is what the viewfinder looks like on a Nikon D40x. Take a look at the labels for each thing. Also notice the light meter exposure scale toward the middle with a 0 in the center and + and - on either end. There is a lot more to making a 'good' exposure, but just to get started, practice getting the meter to read as close to the center of this scale as you can.
Thanks,

I was using the viewfinder feature wrong, I was adjusting it to the plus side when I shouldn't have been.

1995 Tsi AWD
307awhp@24psi
Track numbers coming soon.
gtsiawd96 is offline   Reply With Quote