TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Frostedv40
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #24667

My Ride:
2010 Nissan Cube SL

Question about mounting extra foglights/driving lights in New Jersey...

Hello,

I've been considering lately purchasing and installing a set of aftermarket foglights on my car but I'm not sure whether or not it is legal to do so. I understand that using them in a way that other drivers would be blinded is illegal but I mostly want them for A) looks and B) if and when the weather conditions call for it. My vehicle has a set of driving lights already installed at the bottom of the bumper from the factory.

I did a little research and came upon this:
Quote:
Statute text
(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one spotlight, and no lighted spotlight shall be aimed and used upon any approaching vehicle. It shall be unlawful for any person except law enforcement officers and persons licensed under Chapter 38 of Title 43 to operate a spotlight from any moving vehicle on any highway or public roadway.
(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two foglights mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the light from which it comes.
(c) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary passing light mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary passing light shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.
(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary driving light mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary driving light shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.
My question - would my factory driving lights count towards the total number of auxiliary lights allowed on the vehicle? Is it legal to have them mounted as long as the cover is on over them?

Thanks in advance!
Frostedv40 is offline   Reply With Quote