TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Evo VIII - 2.4L/FP Red - Dynojet Time!

What's up guys,

I bought my first Evo off of EvoM Summer of 2011. I had built three Mustangs prior and was excited about the new platform.

However, the car was neglected and fell apart on me completely a few weeks after I had it. The only good parts that were on the car were the built shortblock and the turbo. The kit was bad, the head was junk, there were eBay parts that were said to be good aftermarket parts, there were fabricated parts that looked as if a child had welded them, gaskets reused, engine bay had never been cleaned, oil leaks, improper installation of many parts, PATHETIC wiring, neglect of maintenance, etc.

You get the point.

After MUCH trial and error since then, I have learned this platform inside and out.

So far I have replaced everything on the car except for the drivetrain, and decided it was time to do just that.

Before:

Motor
-Built 2.0L
-JE 10:1 Pistons
-Eagle Rods
-ARP Head Studs
-AMS Balance shaft delete

Head
-Brian Crower 272s
-Brian Crower Springs/Retainers
-Everything else stock

Cooling:
-Destroyed PWR Radiator
-Thermostat installed upside down (causing blown head gasket)

Turbo Kit:
-Garrett GT35R w/ .63 housing
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-Shearer t3/t4 tubular manifold
-ETS UICP
-FabThis custom 3"inch vband downpipe (awful quality)
-FabThis custom intercooler piping (awful quality)
-FabThis custom dump tube (awful quality)
-XS Power FMIC

Fuel:
-Precision 1000cc injectors
-Dual walbro 255LPH fuel pumps (1 inline before fuel rail...awful setup)
-Steel braided fuel rail line

Drivetrain:
-Exedy twin disk clutch
-Installed completely wrong. Wasn't even salvageable when removed.
-Stock Trans/T-Case

Electric:
-AEM EMS
-AEM wideband
-AEM Boost controller
-AEM oil pressure gauge
-Stewart Warner 40psi boost gauge

Other Mods:
-Thermal Research full 3" exhaust fit to jdm rear bumper (awful quality welds)
-No intake at all

After:

Motor:
MAP Stage 2 2.4L
-Wiseco HD Pistons
-MAP Ultimate Duty 156mm Rods
-MAP H11 Head Studs
-Cosworth Cosmetic Head Gasket
-JMFab Catch Can
-Two -10an lines off of head
-One -6an off of breather on front of motor

Head
-Supertech Seals
-Valve Job
-Hot tank
-Decked
-GSC S2 Cams
-Brian Crower Ti Springs/Retainers

Cooling:
-Koyo Evo 6 Radiator
-Mishimoto Thermostat
-Custom -12an Upper Coolant Line

Turbo Kit:
-Stock IX Turbo (for now)
-Curt Brown Ported Exhaust Manifold
-Curt Brown Ported Intake Manifold
-JMFab 2.5" UICP
-Nisei LICP
-Nisei FMIC
-Hallman Pro RX MBC

Fuel
-FIC 1650cc BlueMax
-Warlbo 400lph In-Tank Fuel Pump w/ STM Rewire
-FuelLab AFPR with MAP Install Kit
-Stainless Fuel Rail Line

Drivetrain
-Shep Stage 2 Trans
-Ultimate Ratio
-Double Synchros
-REM Treated
-Magnus Fuel Rail
-Stock Rebuilt T-Case
-Comp HD 6 Puck Ceramic Sprung Clutch
-ACT Streetlite Flywheel

Other Mods
-SpoolinUp COP
-AMS Stainless 3" Exhaust w/Ti Tip
-Mil Spec Throttle Body Seals
-JMFab 3" Speed Density Intake

Electric
-Stock ECU with Tephra V7
-AEM Wideband
-AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
-Stewart Warner 40psi Boost Gauge

The first night I had the car in August, 2011:

Before Cleaning

After Cleaning:

Current Engine Bay as of 1/2/12:

After build:

Last edited by blue91lx; 08-02-2014 at 04:27 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
1) JMF is your best bet for fab work
2) i feel like the .63ar is really holding the 35r back
3) BC 272s are def holding you car back, glad to see you grabbing S2's
4) I personally wouldn't take it to Evans, if you want to hear my suggestion i'll gladly pm you some info.
5) have you thought of grabbing a JMF drag intake manifold?

Overall its def a nice car waiting to make good power. Look forward to seeing your updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Thanks for the info! The BC cams had to be degreed just to get them to "0", if you will; they're pathetic. Also, it feels like I really need the .63 on the turbo, as the 2.0L (while even being 10:1) has some trouble spooling it. Granted, a lot of that is lost right now in the cams and the tune (or lack there of), but I'm scared if I were to get a bigger housing it would be much laggier than it already is. I haven't really looked into an intake manifold at this point. How beneficial are they on the Evo's, especially low to mid range? This car is my year round DD, so I don't want to make it too much of a high-rpm screamer, granted, built 2.0L with a 35r and S2's fits the "high-rpm" description quite well. Also, I'm all ears about tuning suggestions. I hear different reviews everywhere I go. I went over to Ivey (3 hour drive) and they refused to tune my car because it was hard to get into reverse due to the aforementioned clutch issue, although once moving there is no issues with engaging/slipping. They also wouldn't tune it because they didn't trust that I was capable of doing a boost leak test before hand, but didn't tell me that until I got there.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
^^ peteyturbo. fix your issues, he will tune it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Evojm27
Tri-State Addict

Member #7443

My Ride:
06 Evo IX MR

Send a message via AIM to Evojm27 Send a message via MSN to Evojm27
ive heard alot of good things about KP Tuning
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Thanks for the info! The BC cams had to be degreed just to get them to "0", if you will; they're pathetic. Also, it feels like I really need the .63 on the turbo, as the 2.0L (while even being 10:1) has some trouble spooling it. Granted, a lot of that is lost right now in the cams and the tune (or lack there of), but I'm scared if I were to get a bigger housing it would be much laggier than it already is. I haven't really looked into an intake manifold at this point. How beneficial are they on the Evo's, especially low to mid range? This car is my year round DD, so I don't want to make it too much of a high-rpm screamer, granted, built 2.0L with a 35r and S2's fits the "high-rpm" description quite well. Also, I'm all ears about tuning suggestions. I hear different reviews everywhere I go. I went over to Ivey (3 hour drive) and they refused to tune my car because it was hard to get into reverse due to the aforementioned clutch issue, although once moving there is no issues with engaging/slipping. They also wouldn't tune it because they didn't trust that I was capable of doing a boost leak test before hand, but didn't tell me that until I got there.
I'm not a fan of Ivey personally, and many other locally can agree. The mans done good work over the years so i'm not going to bash him i just wouldn't personally take my car there. Your story is one more to add to the list of many i've heard. I just feel like why go to evans when there is great local tuners in the area. I mean hey, you not of heard of them but that doesn't mean they cant handle the job. Hopefully you look into it before spending a good bit of useless money.

Intake mani does help with top end but it will make great power with one especially when you get better cams. You can always get the cams, get a good tune, and then decide on it for the next step.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I agree. I would much rather support someone local. I am talking with KP now. Hopefully we can figure something out. Also, I think that the Turbo XS is holding me back at my power level, and I'm sure it's terrible with heat soak. Any thoughts?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

I've seen some 3" thick cores make 6-700whp but it doesn't hurt to get something else. There is a point were it becomes a restriction. I honestly don't think your car is 100% at that point, but if you got the money i'd upgrade. It won't hurt you and only benefit you in the long run.

KP will def get you straight, he is very highly recommended.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.
Congrats on the pick up! I seriously love these cars. How has the CF on the spoiler held up?
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
I've seen some 3" thick cores make 6-700whp but it doesn't hurt to get something else. There is a point were it becomes a restriction. I honestly don't think your car is 100% at that point, but if you got the money i'd upgrade. It won't hurt you and only benefit you in the long run.

KP will def get you straight, he is very highly recommended.
That's good to know, as it's money that could be better spent somewhere else.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen. View Post
Congrats on the pick up! I seriously love these cars. How has the CF on the spoiler held up?
Thank you! The CF was re-cleared, however, it was too far gone before they did that, so the actual CF faded
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Erik@R/TTuning
Former Vendor

Member #17281

My Ride:
2000 MR2 Spyder

That is one thing we have in this area is a few good 4g63 tuners.

Looks like you picked up a great base to start with. Swap a few things out and you have the makings of a monster.
Erik@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@R/TTuning View Post
That is one thing we have in this area is a few good 4g63 tuners.

Looks like you picked up a great base to start with. Swap a few things out and you have the makings of a monster.
Erik is 100% correct, people really don't realize how good the dsm/evo community is in the Philadelphia area.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #14
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

From conversing with different people, it seems that it's very easy to just go to the big guys like Ivey and CBRD, as they have done it about a million times and their success is widely known. Also, I think people get skeptical about "local" tuners (not to bash them in any way) because the builds are so much money, and one hiccup in a tune could result in their motor ending up as a paperweight. I, however, and very willing to listen and support the local scene. I think if some of the smaller local tuners got onto the bigger forums like EvoM, their success would really be noticed, and they would gain a ton of business through it.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
From conversing with different people, it seems that it's very easy to just go to the big guys like Ivey and CBRD, as they have done it about a million times and their success is widely known. Also, I think people get skeptical about "local" tuners (not to bash them in any way) because the builds are so much money, and one hiccup in a tune could result in their motor ending up as a paperweight. I, however, and very willing to listen and support the local scene. I think if some of the smaller local tuners got onto the bigger forums like EvoM, their success would really be noticed, and they would gain a ton of business through it.
Some of the local tuners are really really good. I trust some of them more then the big name shops because they actually have time to sit and do their best job every time. I don't refer or hype anything unless I fully back it. It's hard to get your name out there on certain forums because of vendor fees and overall hype of the big name people. I fully support supporting vendors as well and give them a lot of credit for doing what they do so in no way am i bashing any or trying to take away from them. Get your car squared away and come back to the Philly area and I'm sure you'll get it taken car of and be very happy with the results.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

That's the plan for now

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Quote:
That's the plan for now

Thanks for all of the advice.
No problem man, i just wanna see another quality evo in the area to add to the group. We have another local buddy finishing up a 10:1 35r build that will be pushing a but more power to you. I'm curious to see how yours would be since its only on pump, with the smaller exhaust housing etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
No problem man, i just wanna see another quality evo in the area to add to the group. We have another local buddy finishing up a 10:1 35r build that will be pushing a but more power to you. I'm curious to see how yours would be since its only on pump, with the smaller exhaust housing etc.
I'd be interested to see what he makes. I wish this wasn't my DD, or else I'd add meth into the equation, get a Shep Transmission, and make some serious power. After speaking with a few more educated folks, I think I decided to hold off on the COP for now, and focus on the cams and getting a better IC, as the Turbo XS had a new mount BOLTED/DRILLED on where the weld broke, so I'm almost certain it's leaking there.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

If you guys know of anyone selling a Nisei FMIC, let me know, as I want to get this thing right the first time and get her tuned! I'm going to be placing the order on the cams any day now. The question is, to bleed the lifters or to not bleed the lifters when I do the cam install. I've heard of people doing both successfully. Any insight?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
deb38
Tri-State Addict

Member #5266

My Ride:
2001 Audi S4

Send a message via AIM to deb38
Nice setup. Should make some awesome numbers when it is dialed in.

Sitting on Jack Stands
deb38 is offline   Reply With Quote