TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drifting
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

U.S. D1 Grand Prix CANCELLED for 2008!

I guess the drifting fad is loosing steam. I can honestly can that driving a drift car is incredibly fun. Watching drift cars.....gets boring real quick. Seems alot of people agree with me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/13/u...lled-for-2008/
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
Not very surprising to be honest with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

thats a shame...D1 has been around for a while and they put together good events that other drifting sanctions can learn from...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Yea but it doesn't seem like it could compete with NASCAR fever. Hell, if even F1 can't compete, how could you expect D1 to?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

i dont think they were trying to compete with nascar...

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

Maybe if they all drifted left, drove horrible boring cars, were all fat, had mullets, and half of the drivers were ex F1 drivers......D1 would of had a chance.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

It doesn't matter what they were trying to compete with, it matters what the competition was. For motorsports, America is solely set on NASCAR, so regardless of type of racing, it will always compete. Always.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

Nascar is obviously the #1 motorsport in america, but i think there is enough diversity in the states to have both. They target two different demographics.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
streetAssasin96
Tri-State Addict

Member #2686

My Ride:
96 GSR, 95 Civ Coupe

Hey I love NASCAR. You def can't complain about an event that leaves you deaf has mad hot chicks and you can BYOB. Don't knock it until you've gone to a race. Its not as "boring" as every one thinks.

As for D1, it sucks. Definitley a sick watchin those guys do their thing.

next time think, 39 Thieves are quicker than 40 winks
streetAssasin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Send a message via MSN to OBEEWON
Hmmm, maybe Ill keep my 240 now...

OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetAssasin96 View Post
Hey I love NASCAR. You def can't complain about an event that leaves you deaf has mad hot chicks and you can BYOB. Don't knock it until you've gone to a race. Its not as "boring" as every one thinks.

As for D1, it sucks. Definitley a sick watchin those guys do their thing.
I've been to 2 races and it is boring.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

I think you have too much faith in American motorsports if you believe in a widespread demographic lol

Examples..

Americans hate..

Formula 1
Touring Car Championships
WRC
MotoGP

And various other dominant worldwide racing series.

Last edited by ozthunder; 02-22-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
That sucks.

I was kinda anxious to get out to an event or two this year and take pictures and video...

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

WRC is making headway, but it wouldn't be the first time that it has and then disapeared from the US.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Eh, it's only making headway b/c we now have a market for some of the cars. I don't believe that any of those series that I listed will have a strong long-term history with the US "demographic".

Being a big fan of F1, it's a ****ing bitch to have NASCAR on 24/7. And being a big fan of int'l touring car series and LM series, I've come to realize that regardless of who you think watches what- it comes down to the $$- and that is, and will never be, F1, WRC, DTM, V8SC, BTCC, WTCC, and now D1- in the US.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Tigawoods
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2030

My Ride:
95' Toyota Celica

Send a message via AIM to Tigawoods
D1's east coast premire was amazing. now that i think of it there wasnt as big of a crowd as there could have been. sad to hear that it is gone

Tigawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning View Post
Nascar is obviously the #1 motorsport in america, but i think there is enough diversity in the states to have both. They target two different demographics.

werd.

i went to D1 last yr at englishtown and i really enjoyed it but the crowd seemed lost...half of them acted as if they walked into e town by accident and had no idea what they were watching.

i saw a v8 350z go completely sideways and almost nail a wall and he saved it and turned it into a glorious slide and smoke was everywhere and the crowd was completely silent....as if they didnt even notice.

imo the fan base just isnt here yet. or is it maybe just not on the east coast yet?
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

well believe what ya want....its not worth arguing with someone who uses large generlizations and absolutes I.E. always, solely and saying americans HATE...etc

...and its not a "U.S. Demographic" the U.S. is made up of several(if not hundreds) of seperate demographics

Their competition is Formula D and last year was a big year for formula D and that was one of the main contributing factors in them pulling out this year.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Well you're right and you're wrong. Yes the US is made up of many different demographics but the US Market is also a demographic. See there is no size constraint so a Demographic can be as small as 17 year olds born in June named Steve, or as large as everyone aged 10-106 that has ever woken up on a sunny morning.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

^^^^ i understand how demographics are...i was trying to make my point here about how both Nascar and D1/Drifting can both exsist in the US, by marketing to different demographics

....its a just a shame cause D1 has been around for a long time and the sanctions here could learn a few things from them