TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drifting
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Buy a car that's done it's cheaper
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
JST2KWIK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6855

My Ride:
2021 Ram TRX, 2014 Camaro Z/28, 2017 Shelby GT350, 1991 Mercedes 350SDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxinprogress View Post
Jst2kwik reply: , I have been doing lots of research, I just thought asking the ppl who drift firsthand might be a good place to start. You know, I'm not really looking to do a whole lot of drifting competition, more for a pasttime, so I probably won't be having two cars (FYI it's a chevy cobalt,srry my bad misspell) Plus being in college, i dont have loads of extra money to spend on two separate cars. But your right, I didn't really realize how expensive it was going to be; I knew the upgrades would be expensive, but I wasn't counting on having to buy do many tires and replacement parts, but after talking to other drifters and seeing stuff they've gone through, my wallet was crying seeing at their damaged rides. but thanks for your help and small insults (pm kindergarden? Really?) haha jk it's all good man, and thanks for trying to be nice to poor uneducated wannabees like myself
I hear you on the college thing, it really blows trying to finance a drift car and go to school/pay for school. Haha, and no problem glad it helped and most of the guys forget that they were all uneducated clueless people at one point too, and love getting on people's cases when questions are asked.

As to other stuff that was said, LSD's really aren't super necessary, welding your diff is easy, inexpensive, and effective. And if it breaks? OMG!! Weld it again big deal. Worse comes to worst, buy a spare def for like $20 and have that one welded too so you have a backup in case one blows up on you. $1500 for a KAZ two way can go wayyy further in a 240 especially for a budget build.

Just being at a drift event and watching all the guys do their thing is also really helpful. I've learned a lot from quietly observing as well as checking out people's setups - both pros and Joes. Like GmFwd said, the clubloose parking lot events are a great place to start. I've never driven in one (I'm still finishing my car) but they are a step up from the IKEA lot and the CL guys will give you tips and pointers too.
JST2KWIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #23
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:
S15 DD, srt4 drift missile

Get it welded good and you won't have a problem. It's the easiest diff to learn with because nothing changes, it's always locked
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

im too lazy to read everything but.....

If you plan on just doing drifting event for fun then YS you can DD your "Drift" car....

lets say you have a stock s13 and everything is in "B" quality condition....

1)coilovers (after some events and when you cana feel for the car i would get arms)
2)Diff....weld or LSD
3)Clutch- get yourself a good one
4)E brake- Make sure your is working correctly
5) Tune up- lookover the car thoroghly
6) Seat- get a good bucket seat...i mean i never used one when i first started but it might be required at some local events....And when i say events i mean events where you can go practice and learn.

My

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
yo! --
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
240sxinprogress
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST2KWIK View Post
I hear you on the college thing, it really blows trying to finance a drift car and go to school/pay for school. Haha, and no problem glad it helped and most of the guys forget that they were all uneducated clueless people at one point too, and love getting on people's cases when questions are asked.

As to other stuff that was said, LSD's really aren't super necessary, welding your diff is easy, inexpensive, and effective. And if it breaks? OMG!! Weld it again big deal. Worse comes to worst, buy a spare def for like $20 and have that one welded too so you have a backup in case one blows up on you. $1500 for a KAZ two way can go wayyy further in a 240 especially for a budget build.

Just being at a drift event and watching all the guys do their thing is also really helpful. I've learned a lot from quietly observing as well as checking out people's setups - both pros and Joes. Like GmFwd said, the clubloose parking lot events are a great place to start. I've never driven in one (I'm still finishing my car) but they are a step up from the IKEA lot and the CL guys will give you tips and pointers too.
Alrite, thanks man. In all honesty, my car modifying experience has been limited to helping a friend change his cams and manifold (horrible experience haha), installing a body kit, and helping install a new exhaust system, so I would not trust myself welding a diff. How much does it usually run to have one welded? And is that like a normal operation, that I could take my car to a performance shop and they could do it no problem, or is it like a homemade alternative to buying an LSD?
240sxinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

And I plan on going to the next night moves with a buddy who goes sometimes, and I've been to one or two of the IKEA meets, which was pretty chill. I'm assuming there's way morre drifting going down at nightmoves; at the ikea meet a few dudes were messing around but no serious drifting was going on.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #27
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Actually strike what I said before; Ive been looking at some tutorials on how to weld a diff, and it looks relatively simple, I couldn't do it rite now cuz I don't have a welder but I'm sure I could borrow/rent one. Quick question anybody- do ALL traces of oil need to be out before I weld? And is it necessary to get it sandblasted after welding to remove Any small pieces? Some say yes, some say no, but will it affect the welding in anyway? I wasnt sure so I wanted to check here..
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

I held the Ikea meets and i can say with out a doubt that going to nightmoves so way better.

you could go to freedom moves because group see will be allow to learn on the back section

My

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
yo! --
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
Buy a car that's done it's cheaper
Yeah, im also looking into doing that haha, save me large amounts of hassle and money/time. I've been looking on modified car trader and similar websites, and a few rides have caught my eye. However, building it myself would teach me a lot, which is one of my goals. Also I'd probably end up spending money anyway to change things that I didn't want. But this is a good idea and thanks, I'm still considering it
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I held the Ikea meets and i can say with out a doubt that going to nightmoves so way better.

you could go to freedom moves because group see will be allow to learn on the back section
Oh okay, I probably saw you there but had no idea who you were lol. Yeah I was thinking bout freedom moves, on the clubloose website it seems like a big deal. Nice that'd be awesome to go and just learn and soak it all up. Is the back section like down by the track, or..?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #31
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:

C guys run on the roadcourse....but do us all a favor and wait for a night moves. No offense but the roadcourse requires at least a basic knowledge of how to control a car to be okay. People getting stuck in the grass all day sucks and gives better drivers less seat time
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #32
Reese
Tri-State Addict

Member #19347

My Ride:
TST Since Oct. 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxinprogress View Post
Oh okay, I probably saw you there but had no idea who you were lol. Yeah I was thinking bout freedom moves, on the clubloose website it seems like a big deal. Nice that'd be awesome to go and just learn and soak it all up. Is the back section like down by the track, or..?
yeah its down by the track but its cant be seen from the stands. If you find video from HOLD THE LINE Rd 2 you will see the layout

My

yo! --
Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #33
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmFwd View Post
C guys run on the roadcourse....but do us all a favor and wait for a night moves. No offense but the roadcourse requires at least a basic knowledge of how to control a car to be okay. People getting stuck in the grass all day sucks and gives better drivers less seat time
Okay, I see what your saying, that's cool; I won't be driving for a long time, since I want to have my car set up before I drive, and I'm gonna practice by myself and with a friend who can help me before I even drive at a nightmoves. I'd really rather not completely embarrass myself before I know what I'm doing haha. But yeah when I go to nightmOves in september (I missed 1 two nights ago ) I'll just be watching at least for now..
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #34
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Okay I'll look that video up- do I have to pay extra to get down there or..?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #35
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

You can't spectate the back course and who is your friend? You'll learn more from comin to a night moves
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #36
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
You can't spectate the back course and who is your friend? You'll learn more from comin to a night moves
Oh ok gotcha.. Yeah the night moves is probably where I'll end up going.. My friends name is Kyle, he drives a grey/ black primer 93 240sx.. He's not on TST but idk what forums he's on... He's been drifting for I think 3 or 4 years now, he used to go to the IKEA meets all the time and dragged me along before I was into cars at all haha... Idk if he's ever been at nightmoves, I'll have to ask him...
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #37
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:

I learned in the passenger seat. Ride with someone in a similar car to yours and you can almost feel their next move, its strange.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #38
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmFwd View Post
I learned in the passenger seat. Ride with someone in a similar car to yours and you can almost feel their next move, its strange.
Haha that's crazy, I've only ridden with someone drifting once or twice, the other times I've been driving and they've sat shotgun and gave me pointers. I can count my drifting experiences on one hand tho haha...oh btw does anyone know of any YouTube channels that are used by ppl in TST or clubloose? I've found a couple, but I'd like to find more. ( if this question is answered on the forum somewhere, I'm sorry I couldn't find it)
Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #39
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

You dont learn drifting from watching videos...

Its a pure feel thing. Eventually you stop thinking about it and have natural inclination to do what you need to, to make the car do what you want. Go drive and stop browsing the webs...

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #40
240sxinprogress

Member #21572

My Ride:
2005 Chevy Cobalt LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
You dont learn drifting from watching videos...

Its a pure feel thing. Eventually you stop thinking about it and have natural inclination to do what you need to, to make the car do what you want. Go drive and stop browsing the webs...
Haha I didn't mean that I wanted to find videos to learn, just to get a feel for how the different events go and see what goes down at them. I didn't think I was gonna learn by watching how to videos haha