TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #81
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallpre1 View Post
I like this thread. Can you please give me pointers on how to properly apply and remove wax? Do I just spread it evenly going one direction, or both or light swirls? Do I remove it the same way?

Thanks!

Do it in 2x2' sections. put it on light unless you are using a cheaper carnuba. A little bit goes a long way. You can go straight up down left right circular. Whatever way you are comfortable doing it, just remove it in the same direction or motion. And since alot of people don't think of it. Keep a bottle of quick detail handy for when yo are removing wax for the hard stuff. It wont hurt anything and wont remove wax being that 90% of quick details are ment to keep the wax's luster longer.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #82
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Do it in 2x2' sections. put it on light unless you are using a cheaper carnuba. A little bit goes a long way. You can go straight up down left right circular. Whatever way you are comfortable doing it, just remove it in the same direction or motion. And since alot of people don't think of it. Keep a bottle of quick detail handy for when yo are removing wax for the hard stuff. It wont hurt anything and wont remove wax being that 90% of quick details are ment to keep the wax's luster longer.
Thanks!
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #83
silent_dc
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #9417

My Ride:
96 Integra

what's your take on the new scratch doctor stuff? its a wax for small scratches that don't get through clear coat. but i hear it works alright
silent_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #84
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
with light scratches its okay to use, but anything that still shows after a coat of wax will be left after. Scratch Doctor is a very very light compound so you could try to work it in but dont expect world class results.

I am and have always been a firm believer that if it sounds easy, it probably doesn't work. Don't be afraid to spend a little money to benefit your car.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #85
Bobcat

Member #15084

Knowledge is power, and like someone pointed out - autopia.org, and I'd suggest truthindetailing.com are 2 very good sources of detailing information. I've been detailing part time for 5 years and I can honestly say that things do change a lot over time. The products available now work better, faster and lasts longer. I could write volumns about detailing - but instead, I'd suggest visiting these detail only sites and do a little reading, remember, there put 10 detailers in a room and you usually have 10 opinions about how it should be done.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #86
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Knowledge is power, and like someone pointed out - autopia.org, and I'd suggest truthindetailing.com are 2 very good sources of detailing information. I've been detailing part time for 5 years and I can honestly say that things do change a lot over time. The products available now work better, faster and lasts longer. I could write volumns about detailing - but instead, I'd suggest visiting these detail only sites and do a little reading, remember, there put 10 detailers in a room and you usually have 10 opinions about how it should be done.
I agree with this man. No process is the same, and in the same light, every process works. A huge part of the detailing world and its products/applications/processes are preference based. One product works for one, and another works for the other, both accomplishing the same task. So with that said, every detailer can have a different opinion.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #87
Bobcat

Member #15084

Thanks, and with that said, my opinion (after trying every product I could get my hands on) is that I'm getting back to very minimum detailing products. Take the time to really learn the techniques to use what I have. One thing about dedicated detail forums is that no matter what you have or if you get issues - there's always someone to help you out. BTW - detailing does NOT have to be hard work, I like products that are easy on, easy off and lasts!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #88
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Send a message via AIM to O2SpecV
old ass thread but what about clay barring the car?
O2SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
ArrestMeRedFD
This message has been deleted by Big_Jim. Reason: user spammed to get to the 30 posts.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #89
LightningTeg
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19731

My Ride:
513whp 98' Integra

I didnt sift through the information here but clay barring is one of the most important steps in detailing IMO. Removing the junk you cant get by washing (waxing does not remove contaminants btw) will allow a fresh surface for wax's and sealants to adhere to which will allow them to last longer and shine better. It also keeps those contaminants from being ground into the paint if it is buffed.

This is probably beyond the scope of most people but you can completely change the way a car looks with a orbital polishing done the right way.

I've been doing mobile detailing for a good 2.5 years now and still learning obviously. Autopia and Autogeek are great sites

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

97' Civic EX bone stock DD
98' Integra LS, 500whp +
LightningTeg is offline   Reply With Quote