TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #81
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Been commuting to Charlotte lately for my upcoming move.

Check out how many bugs this car has killed (and yes i need to replace the driver side headlight due to a highway rock on I85)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #82
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
All the bugs... murderer
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #83
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Damn bugs!!! I have bad bug problems also, as I work an evening shift so I am always coming home at night. WD-40 works great for removing them.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #84
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

used some Mother's professional bug remover spray

All clean. Also added some Adams H2O guard and gloss paint sealant to the entire frontal area.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #85
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Dang, that paint looks great! I might have to give that bug spray a try. My car is in bad shape right now and I've been neglecting it for a while haha. Sad.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #86
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Dang, that paint looks great! I might have to give that bug spray a try. My car is in bad shape right now and I've been neglecting it for a while haha. Sad.
Thank you

yeah, its hard to make time

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #87
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

More driving impressions after 8,000 miles (yeah, they're racking up quick)

Things that need to be fixed:

-Rattling in the driver side dash/a-pillar upon acceleration. Could be the soundaktor but not sure. Warranty claim.

-Paint quality. Orange peel all over the car. Bugs and rocks from the highway have taken the paint off in some spots. Needs to be corrected.

-Drivers side door window slightly off-track. Upper portion of the drivers door will pop a little when you raise the window from being completely open. Warranty claim.

Things I want to improve:

- Braking. Its just not good enough. The ZL1 brakes have ruined me. I want more response and quicker. Going to try the Clubsport S pads and rotors to see if that helps. Otherwise, the TTS caliper upgrade will be considered. This is my biggest issue with the car so far.

- DSG. It's set to fuel economy by default, and will upshift to 6th gear then 7th as quickly as it can in normal driving situations. This often means a lack of response when trying to complete a left turn across traffic (for example). I'm frequently downshifting for passing power too. Frustrating.

- Handling. Definitely a FWD biased platform, but the traction is there, just requires me to use the gas pedal more to balance it out a little bit. Otherwise, it will feel front end heavy like the GTI (in a heavier feeling car)

Things I'm enjoying:

- Fuel economy. I'm in the upper 20's with mostly city commuting to work and highway runs get me 32-33 mpg easily.

- Comfort. With the DCC, unless the road is torn up, the ride is extremely smooth and comfortable which I prefer when going to work.

- Interior. The fit and finish is excellent, and it's a very comfortable place to be for hours at a time. The stereo is also pretty good at drowning out road noise and voices are audible without needing volume jacked up like in the Camaro.

- Looks. I really love how low-key this car looks unless you know what you're looking at. Then you notice the finer details that hint at aggression. Love it.

- Storage. VW has all sorts of tricks up their sleeve with area to store things in the front cabin as well as the hatch. I've been able to move around things without them sliding all over or rattling like crazy due to all the pockets, nets, cubbies and felt lined areas. Very easy to live with this car.

More thoughts:

A huge step back in performance in every aspect except wet weather traction. I'm still getting used to how unexciting the car is to drive, but that's also made it much more livable for the day to day slog. I'm currently stuck on the 6 year/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty for why I'm not modifying the car where it needs help....I don't expect that to change for awhile as more VW motors are windowing on the forums from tunes. I'll probably tune around 30k, but who knows...I don't find the power to be lacking for driving situations, it's just the boost threshold and DSG tuning that drive me the maddest.

Otherwise the motor is setup very nicely. It's smooth and responsive in the right RPM range/gear, while being efficient on gas. Hard to argue with it.

The chassis definitely could use some stiffening. There is noticeable feel of flex from the back half when going over uneven roads, which causes the hatch tray to bounce around. I think VW is using this portion of the chassis as part of the suspension for better ride quality.

Very tempted to get a rear swaybar and chassis brace to address this when I do the brakes.

Also, as crazy as the price tag is, I will be buying the Akrapovic catback from the UK to complete the performance package. Warranty friendly and sounds great.

Finally:

It's apparent that I need a sports car in my life again. I'm looking at 997-era 911's and a couple other cars that go against my earlier promises. Going to be awhile on this point, so while not 100% satisfied with the R, it's what I got for awhile...and that's a good "problem" to have.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 08-24-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #88
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks for the words of wisdom

Mod plans sound good, but not surprised that going from the ZL1 to a Golf R is boring you to death
Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #89
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom

Mod plans sound good, but not surprised that going from the ZL1 to a Golf R is boring you to death
Yeah

I think brakes, chassis mods will make me happier with it. The power level stock is fine for getting through the city and highway driving.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #90
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Heading to VW next Friday for a few warranty fixes

- missing Performance monitor problem is fixed now via a software update.
- headlight cracking is an actual known issue.
- various rattles.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #91
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Headlight cracking seems to be strangely common these days. Almost every car I've owned has a recall/TSB for it...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #92
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Headlight cracking seems to be strangely common these days. Almost every car I've owned has a recall/TSB for it...
Really? Wow...well hopefully I can get this covered

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #93
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

10k service done.

Oil change
Rotate tires
Car wash

Car keeps humming along. Carplay update makes it even easier to commute with.

������

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #94
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Carplay update was nice. It still has some bugs but much better than it was.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #95
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Carplay update was nice. It still has some bugs but much better than it was.
Yeah I’m pretty happy with it now.

Let’s me surf the phone without interrupting the main screen

Love that change

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #96
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Biggest QOL change. Made listening to videos on youtube and navigating so much easier
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #97
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Biggest QOL change. Made listening to videos on youtube and navigating so much easier
Oh yeah haha that’s how I catch up on YouTube too haha

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #98
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Installed paddle shifters today.

Back story: Racingline offers DSG paddles in painted aluminum. They sell for $250?

Reality: The same ones are on Ali Express for $25 shipped, just without the branding and paint

$25 later...

https://youtu.be/zaQ4AoD_lWs

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #99
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Nice
Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #100
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Those look great and what a savings compared to the Racingline. That’s crazy!!!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote