TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #581
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Something about a red E30 just looks so damn good. I'd say it's my favorite color for the E30 followed by black and gray.
I agree very much so! The red iS coupe is the E30 that started it all for me. The car above is my exact vision of what I had always hoped to own. It's the perfect car for me, with all of my dream mods carried out in regards to suspension, wheels, etc (not drivetrain just yet). Dare I say..... the iS is more special to me by a long shot than the M3 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
GD STi or die
No STI GD Hatch, no use for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
For some reason this doesn't add up to me

I'm with you on not dailying old cars anymore. I bought my first new car ~5 years ago. I don't think I will daily another car that is not under warrenty. I want to fix cars at my leisure not so I can get to work tomorrow.
I can certainly see why, my line of reason is a bit crooked.

I'll try to explain my thoughts (this will also tell you exactly why I own an FXT )

1) I need: Hatchback required for parts, bikes, and equipment transport. Needs to be AWD, would prefer it be "fun" to some capacity but doesn't need to be fast. Needs to be manual.

2) Needs to be reliable in stock, unmodified trim for at least 100K miles. I drive 10k/yr, vehicle needs to last 10 years, which is why I am shooting for 30-40k miles. Will sell at 140-150K ish, which is about what the Forester has on it now and is easing into it's unreliable stage of *potential if you're unlucky* maintenance (head gaskets, clutch, shortblock, trans).

2) I've never had a car payment and don't want one because I need to keep my overhead low for budget flexibility in upcoming years, max budget $25K.

3) SUVs, especially new, low milage w/ warranty are either: way over my budget, don't come in manual, **** trim package, ugly, etc. Other potential candidate besides hatch STI is an SR5 4runner (no manual, hard to find nice example/trim for my budget). The hot hatch fits my requirements much better.

4) Trucks are a no-go due to needing closed cabin transport for equipment. I don't want a Tahoe or Suburban style vehicle for efficiency/size reasons.

Edit: 5) I have a take home vehicle for work.

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-21-2018 at 02:03 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #582
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
I agree very much so! The red iS coupe is the E30 that started it all for me. The car above is my exact vision of what I had always hoped to own. It's the perfect car for me, with all of my dream mods carried out in regards to suspension, wheels, etc (not drivetrain just yet). Dare I say..... the iS is more special to me by a long shot than the M3 .
Looking through your photos it's easy to see why.

My earliest BMW memory was a dark gray on gray E30 sedan my family had for a short time. I can still remember the interior door handles and block design in the fabric.

Quote:
No STI GD Hatch, no use for me

I can certainly see why, my line of reason is a bit crooked.

I'll try to explain my thoughts (this will also tell you exactly why I own an FXT )

1) I need: Hatchback required for parts, bikes, and equipment transport. Needs to be AWD, would prefer it be "fun" to some capacity but doesn't need to be fast. Needs to be manual.

2) Needs to be reliable in stock, unmodified trim for at least 100K miles. I drive 10k/yr, vehicle needs to last 10 years, which is why I am shooting for 30-40k miles. Will sell at 140-150K ish, which is about what the Forester has on it now and is easing into it's unreliable stage of *potential if you're unlucky* maintenance (head gaskets, clutch, shortblock, trans).

2) I've never had a car payment and don't want one because I need to keep my overhead low for budget flexibility in upcoming years, max budget $25K.

3) SUVs, especially new, low milage w/ warranty are either: way over my budget, don't come in manual, **** trim package, ugly, etc. Other potential candidate besides hatch STI is an SR5 4runner (no manual, hard to find nice example/trim for my budget). The hot hatch fits my requirements much better.

4) Trucks are a no-go due to needing closed cabin transport for equipment. I don't want a Tahoe or Suburban style vehicle for efficiency/size reasons.

Edit: 5) I have a take home vehicle for work.
Ever thought of getting a wagon? That could open up some more possibilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #583
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Looking through your photos it's easy to see why.

My earliest BMW memory was a dark gray on gray E30 sedan my family had for a short time. I can still remember the interior door handles and block design in the fabric.

Ever thought of getting a wagon? That could open up some more possibilities.
Ah, you must've had houndstooth then! Such a great look, and quite rare in the US, actually.

Yes, I have considered a wagon in my search. I haven't found one that grabs me yet. Considering my car OCD tendencies, I know if I have even the slightest internal doubts I won't keep it.

If only they made a newer STI hatch than '14. That'd be the ticket.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #584
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

It's so nice to see people still building cars for themselves and not for gram likes.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #585
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
It's so nice to see people still building cars for themselves and not for gram likes.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #586
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

The newer STis are so ugly though. The 14s are nice but once 15 hit, I was out.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #587
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
so jaded

it's not my favorite year, but it has grown on me. Luckily we'll have an even uglier model to hate in 2020... Regardless of the looks, we need a hatch. I actually really like the new impreza sport 5 door, just add turbo plz
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #588
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Thanks, gents. Too many cars (E30s especially) are being built to look cool for other folks.

I'm going to start a petition to kill bolt on fender flares.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
so jaded

it's not my favorite year, but it has grown on me. Luckily we'll have an even uglier model to hate in 2020... Regardless of the looks, we need a hatch. I actually really like the new impreza sport 5 door, just add turbo plz
I thought the '15+ were über ugly for a while, but they're growing on me, and I think they'd look slick in a 5dr with some variation.

What they really need to do is to just bring the Levorg STI over here. They're.....interesting. But I'd rock it.

Link: https://www.dejansokolovski.com/blog/subaru-levorg-sti

And yes, I agree in regards to the Impreza Sport. Give me turbo and 6sp and I'm there.

Also, I'd rock a 3.6R Outback, but alas, they don't offer them in manual.

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-26-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #589
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
dang, i've seen the levorg, but never nice photos like that. I would definitely rock that, even in auto form.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #590
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Thanks, gents. Too many cars (E30s especially) are being built to look cool for other folks.

I'm going to start a petition to kill bolt on fender flares.
My miata has bolt on fenders... (cant do that, thats like %20 of tst posters)

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #591
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
hahahahaha We cant afford to lose 20% of us
Old 12-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #592
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

That's only like 1 person though
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #593
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
dang, i've seen the levorg, but never nice photos like that. I would definitely rock that, even in auto form.
That's what I'm sayin! The auto is a killer for me, but I'm not sure if they make the STI trim in 6sp or not.

Quote:
Bahaha you don't count, yours are functional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
hahahahaha We cant afford to lose 20% of us
Quote:
That's only like 1 person though
strength in numbers, functional bolt on flares are dismissed from my petition
Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #594
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

The holidays were good to Linda.

She got a 370mm Mtech 1 Steering Wheel (been looking forever), a rare old wood mushroom knob (been looking since I sold my first E30 years ago), a factory E30 option Mtech 1 spoiler (been looking forever), and decided to install the heckblende indefinitely. Once I do shadowline trim, she'll be exactly where I want her to be exterior-wise.

In other news, the two E30s I'm selling have heavy leads and/or committed buyer, which means M3 time is gleich um die Ecke

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #595
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

So, I ended up selling the 370mm MTech 1 I purchased with no leather because I found one with original leather, which is what I wanted all along. It looked pretty beat in the pictures, but it appeared to have good bones so I pulled the trigger.

After spending more time than I care to admit with some leather conditioner, I'm thrilled with how it came out.

How it started:

Mtech370mm by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

How it turned out:

Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #596
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Oh man. So good!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #597
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

M3 time!

Quote:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #598
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Oh man. So good!
Thanks! It's so funny how sought after certain things are in the E30 world. The regular MTech 1 wheel came on every 'sport' non-airbag trim E30 and was 385mm. On certain M3s you could elect to upgrade to the 370mm. It's only 15mm smaller, slightly thicker, and is otherwise completely identical. The 385mm version is $1-200. The 370mm is $500-1000. Of course I'm too cheap to pay that for one so I waited years to find a reasonably priced example.

This is the only one I know of for sale right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freshly-Reu...frcectupt=true

Quote:
M3 time!
Woohoo! The Delphin Sedan (the car you like) is going back to CA.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #599
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

I'm glad you were able to sell it. I wish it was the right time for me. That car was beautiful.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #600
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

$1k for a wheel that's not even "original" lol crackpipe