TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

w00t +a billion

So, I'm always working on cars and constantly learning and talking about them while injecting my own knowledge into conversations, and my mom smacks me upside the head one night and said, "If you love working on cars so much, why don't you go to school for it and make money off of it."

I said, "Ya know what, old woman? That's the best thing that's come out of your mouth for a long time."

So I asked for info from Pennco Tech, and they called me up the next day for a meeting, went in, did the interview, took the test, aced it and got accepted.

Looks like for the year is about 27,000. (70 weeks, actually). And, while I'm a student doing Automotive Technology and getting my Associates Degree in Specialized Technology, I get 60% off of Snap-On tools. :P Anyone need anything, if I decide to register?
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
180sxDrifter
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #585

My Ride:
06 STI, S13 Silvia, Ruckus

Send a message via AIM to 180sxDrifter Send a message via MSN to 180sxDrifter
I dunno, I'd do alot of research about them, from what all 3 of my auto tech teachers say, they feed you a ton of good stuff but leave out the bad things and tend to stretch the truth. 60% off snap on is still an ish load lol, too much for me atm. Although you can get a kickars kit for like $3k, I hope just b4 I leave I'm gonna use my discount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

06 Sti-Built motor....stock turbo
89 S13-aero, Silvia front coupe blah blah blah
180sxDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Twin_Cam
Tri-State Addict

Member #288

Send a message via AIM to Twin_Cam
Sounds good Clint, but just so you know, automotive techs have quite a time. 8am-5pm usually, every day and sometimes Saturdays, working their asses off. If you've ever gotten pissed and thrown tools at your car because you couldn't fix it, imagine that almost all day long. If you get hired at a dealer, you won't be doing anything difficult for the first few years though. Oil changes and tire rotations and wiper blades.

Sounds good though, man. Good luck to you.

'00 Saturn SL2m- slowest car on TST
Twin_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Cam
Sounds good Clint, but just so you know, automotive techs have quite a time. 8am-5pm usually, every day and sometimes Saturdays, working their asses off. If you've ever gotten pissed and thrown tools at your car because you couldn't fix it, imagine that almost all day long. If you get hired at a dealer, you won't be doing anything difficult for the first few years though. Oil changes and tire rotations and wiper blades.

Sounds good though, man. Good luck to you.
That's not entirely true, I was one for a summer. Yes there are days where it's like hell on earth (alternator on a mitsubishi sigma), but most of the time it's pretty routine. Not at all a bad job really, but cars do seem to get worse every year.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940
That's not entirely true, I was one for a summer. Yes there are days where it's like hell on earth (alternator on a mitsubishi sigma), but most of the time it's pretty routine. Not at all a bad job really, but cars do seem to get worse every year.
My friend did an oil change on an F150. He undid the drain bolt, nothing came out. There was 2" of soot caked on the top of the filter, and worse inside the filter. Said the oil hadn't been changed in 80,000. I asked him how the bearings sounded, and he said, "Oh, they were screaming pretty loud."
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SL2_Modder
My friend did an oil change on an F150. He undid the drain bolt, nothing came out. There was 2" of soot caked on the top of the filter, and worse inside the filter. Said the oil hadn't been changed in 80,000. I asked him how the bearings sounded, and he said, "Oh, they were screaming pretty loud."
BAHAHAHA, and there's always stupid people to brighten your day. After a while you start to feel sorry for the cars though.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
PhillyGsx
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #157

Hmm penco tech shouldnt have been your choice. Im enrolled to attend ATC in warminster. Its called Automotive Training Center. With pennco tech when u graduate, you have to take the test, to get ASE certified. With ATC each class is 4 weeks long, and once you complete the class, and pass it. You get certified in that catagory. Ex. Brakes,Suspension,Frame Repair,. Plus ATC is 18 months long. And is about 1,000$ cheaper. My friend went to penco tech, and he tried to take the test 2 times and failed. Yet somehow he built his integra's motor/suspension/body and rebuilt a truck motor.Im not saying its a bad place, i have never been there. Im just going on what i hear. But when comparing the stats of both places, ATC looked so much better.Plus im the first class on there new campus in warminster... all new tools and equiptment

P.S. i need to buy $1,300 in tools, all snapon. Plus a $350 OBD I and OBD II scanner.
PhillyGsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Congrats on choosing to pursue your passion as a career. I wish you the best of luck.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGsx
Hmm penco tech shouldnt have been your choice. Im enrolled to attend ATC in warminster. Its called Automotive Training Center. With pennco tech when u graduate, you have to take the test, to get ASE certified. With ATC each class is 4 weeks long, and once you complete the class, and pass it. You get certified in that catagory. Ex. Brakes,Suspension,Frame Repair,. Plus ATC is 18 months long. And is about 1,000$ cheaper. My friend went to penco tech, and he tried to take the test 2 times and failed. Yet somehow he built his integra's motor/suspension/body and rebuilt a truck motor.Im not saying its a bad place, i have never been there. Im just going on what i hear. But when comparing the stats of both places, ATC looked so much better.Plus im the first class on there new campus in warminster... all new tools and equiptment

P.S. i need to buy $1,300 in tools, all snapon. Plus a $350 OBD I and OBD II scanner.
You don't need an OBDI scanner. Just short the pins with a paperclip.

I haven't registered yet. I've just been accepted is all.

Also, thanks everyone else for their support in my quest to try the whole school thing again.