TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
NJGOAT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1583

Need serious input on a new car...

I recently off-loaded my wifes Avalanche and she will be taking the A6 as her car. That means it is time for me to get a "toy" again. However, the toy needs to be able to hold a booster seat and an infant seat if the need arises. I pretty much narrowed my search down to a 2004/5 Audi S4. I have great contacts at Audi dealers for service and would be buying the car through a wholesaler friend for waaayyy less than MSRP. So, the wholesaler is currently searching to find the options and colors I want.

However, now a monkey wrench has been thrown into the works. I got a call that the wholesaler has a 2002 BMW M3 that he can sell me CHEAP.

2002 E46 BMW M3
80k Miles
Dark Metallic Grey Exterior
Imola Red Interior
SMG II Transmission
Harman/Kardon Stereo
Power/Memory Seat Package
Parktronic Parking Assist

Upgrades:

Full Tint
Carbon Fiber Hood (original hood in decent shape and comes w/ car)
Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
Dinan Front Strut Bar
Dinan Engine and Transmission Chip
Dinan Catback Exhaust

It was a one owner car with complete service records. The car was never in an accident and has had all TSB's and recalls completed on time including the rod bearing recall on the early build E46 M3's as well as all service to the SMG Transmission.

BUT...the previous owner did not take care of the cosmetics on the car AT ALL. The exterior has various nicks, scrapes and two dents that will require body work. The front bumper has a broken clip and the CF splitter is cracked from being hit on a low curb or driveway. The rims are actually in decent shape, but have a couple nicks here and there. The interior has various broken bits and heavy wear on the center console, steering wheel, dash and door panels. Essentially the car needs a new interior before it would look like a M3 again (it's currently more like a DSM, lol).

Now, I have many BMW and body shop contacts do to my line of work that would make the repair process less daunting. However, I cannot seem to bring myself to pull the trigger. So, would you buy a cosmetically ROUGH, but mechanically good M3 with 80k on the clock? Price wise this is the absolute cheapest M3 in N. America short of a salvage title. This car would be worth $25k+ if everything was perfect. I am able to pick it up for, well let's just say mid-teens.

So, do I take on a serious project car (I've always wanted a M3) or do I play it safe and get a newer mint S4?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NJGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
NickS
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6196

My Ride:
2005 Mustang GT

Send a message via AIM to NickS
How cheap is cheap..
Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
BlkWhtTSI
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7329

My Ride:
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, '701/2 Camaro RS, '85 Mustang GT

Send a message via AIM to BlkWhtTSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
the car needs a new interior before it would look like a M3 again (it's currently more like a DSM, lol).
HEY! My interior is in great shape! haha

I would go for the M3 only because its a good deal, and you've always wanted one.

Make dreams come true for yourself you'll feel a lot happier i think.
Quote:
Get some signatures in so you can post pics of your car.
BlkWhtTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
NJGOAT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
How cheap is cheap..
I did say mid-teens in my post, so let's just say $15k give or take, which is $10k+ under the value of the car in perfect condition.

NJGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Sounds like you'd make out well either way so I'd just look at which will be more functional / enjoyable for you... after all you'll be spending a lot of time in it.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
coleycole
Tri-State Addict

Member #7902

My Ride:
2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster 6m/t

Mileage would be the only thing that worries me there, but if you have experience working on these cars yourself or have some good contacts that can hook you up when it comes to service on the vehicle then I would say go for it.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Sounds like a good deal to me. If you're getting the car for $10k under what's its worth and you have some money to throw in, you could easily fix it and sell it if you wanted to. Or just fix it and still come in cheaper than the car is worth.

I'd do it. I love M3s

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
kevin@dambrosio
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #7325

My Ride:
2002 z06, 2006 trex

to me it sound like you already know what you want to do. dont bother asking us what you want to do. Its a deal and a half. buy it and turn a profit fast
kevin@dambrosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Sounds to me like that M3 is just going to turn into a project.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

I LOVE the E46 M3s. Best color combo there as well. 80k with the SMG though... I'd be a bit weary.

Last edited by sean3; 07-24-2008 at 03:53 AM.
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
sherwood
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2221

My Ride:
arggg 32, vr jetta.

Send a message via AIM to sherwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
80k with the SMG though... I'd be a bit weary.
cerial.
Quote:
But I am sure the exhaust is angled for back pressure to have a faster spool-up for larger size turbochargers @ low RPM
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote