TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Welcome > TST Forum Info and Feedback
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
"New posts" button

I use the "new posts" button pretty much all day long on all of the forums i frequent. This site's button is driving me nuts. NUTS!

I'm VERY careful to only click it ONCE. Sometimes i double click and have to wait the thirty seconds before i can click it again. But sometimes i only click it once, and it still locks me out for 30 seconds! I know i didnt perform another search in the last 30 seconds, and i know i didnt double click it. Is there a better way to do this? cuz its driving me insane.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Possibly could be your browser as I'm not having any issues. What are you using anyway?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

Firefox. But it does it in Exploder too.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Hmm...I use Google Chrome, cause Internet Exploder and FireFox all quit working on my dad's computer a while ago.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

When a browser quits working its usually a sign that there are other major issues on the computer, like a spyware infestation. Reinstalling windows should clear that up.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Xclusive_Russ
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15451

My Ride:
2010 Impreza 2.5i/1999 OBS

Send a message via AIM to Xclusive_Russ
Haha I have this same problem on pretty much every forum too but this ones the worst cuz you have to wait 30 seconds.

1999 Outback Sport Cam'd (For sale)
2010 Impreza 2.5i Hatch
Xclusive_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
omgjacki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5869

My Ride:
2018 CX-5 GT Premium, 2018 Honda Grom

Send a message via AIM to omgjacki Send a message via Yahoo to omgjacki
I hate this! I don't mind waiting when I'm searching, it usually takes about 30 seconds to see if I've found what I was looking for anyway but I use the New Posts button all day long and it just drives me crazy if I have to wait. If we could turn off the wait just for that button it would be great.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Cobaltxfe09
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15743

My Ride:
2009 Chevy Cobalt LS

The 30 second between searches and posts is a plugin to fight spam. That is why it's there. It can be reduced if the ADMIN chooses too, but thats probably not going to happen. Again, it's there to fight spam.
Cobaltxfe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
420sx... so you're saying that you click the 'new posts' button once, but it says 'you must wait 30 seconds between searches, please wait xx seconds'?

i'm not sure what direction to go on this one. if anyone else is having the same problem please provide as much detail as possible about it and we'll see what we can figure out. 420sx, in the meantime i'd try a different computer, browser, and i'm not sure what else to see if the problem persists... it shouldnt be happening if you're only clicking once though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
the button works and has worked fine for me all along since I joined...

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

It's done it for me a number of times.. I wouldntve made a thread if I wasn't sure about it, lol. I click it ONCE, and it tells me I have to wait. I know it's done it in explorer and firefox.. I'll have to try it on another computer to see if it still does.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Cobaltxfe09
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15743

My Ride:
2009 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
420sx... so you're saying that you click the 'new posts' button once, but it says 'you must wait 30 seconds between searches, please wait xx seconds'?

i'm not sure what direction to go on this one. if anyone else is having the same problem please provide as much detail as possible about it and we'll see what we can figure out. 420sx, in the meantime i'd try a different computer, browser, and i'm not sure what else to see if the problem persists... it shouldnt be happening if you're only clicking once though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
It's done it for me a number of times.. I wouldntve made a thread if I wasn't sure about it, lol. I click it ONCE, and it tells me I have to wait. I know it's done it in explorer and firefox.. I'll have to try it on another computer to see if it still does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
The 30 second between searches and posts is a plugin to fight spam. That is why it's there. It can be reduced if the ADMIN chooses too, but thats probably not going to happen. Again, it's there to fight spam.
This^

If you click on it once you should be fine...just wait until the page loads. But if you keep clicking it will give you that screen where it is saying you have to wait.

Admins and moderators are exempt from this tho. They probably don't have to deal with it. At least on the site I moderate.

Last edited by Cobaltxfe09; 02-19-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Cobaltxfe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
rturbo 930
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7354

My Ride:
71 240Z, 76 280Z, 53 CJ3B

Send a message via AIM to rturbo 930
It might be your computer. I've had that happen quite a bit on my spare computer. The keyboard and mouse button is kinda messed up, so sometimes it double clicks on its own.
rturbo 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
cobalt thanks for your help... i think we're past that though. we're talking about a potential issue past the way the site is set up here so thats what i'm interested in finding out more about... but hopefully its nothing

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Well I tried some stuff out and basically got click happy. If you log into the site on the homepage, click forum and then immediately after that click the new posts button, you get this error, but it's not every time or at all consistent.

BUT it is more common if you are on the main forums page, click on a forum (example being general car chat) and then immediately click the New Posts button.

So I would think it's just a database (?) style error, but I guess it depends on the timing of peoples clicks when they are navigating because if the page isn't allowed to load before you click New Posts, it probably counts as a search up until a certain point.

Depends on the sequence before the problem. If you click New Posts, click a thread, glance, click back to New Posts, click a new thread, if you do things like that too fast, the forum won't load causing a search error, just like if you post, go into another thread, and try to post within a 30 second time frame.

I'd say to anyone posting in here, open a new window, go to TST not logged in, log in, and replicate the instance you think you are getting the error the most and post up a sequence of events with some kind of timing of your clicks. If you click too fast and call on the forum to "search" (going from thread to thread, into a new forum) and then clicking the New Posts button (to search again) and it's within 30 seconds of each other (it's longer than you think lol) then there's your problem.

Now if you're going into a forum, waiting 2 or 3 minutes and then clicking the New Posts button, and getting the error, well this post is garbage then lol

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now

Last edited by DPancoast; 02-23-2010 at 02:42 AM.
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

Ive tried on a few comps now. It seems to do it more commonly if I scroll up on a page using the scroll wheel on the mouse, and then click on "new posts." I have no idea why. It also does it if im viewing a different website in a different tab (for firefox) or a different window (for exploder). When i switch back to the window that tst is on and click new posts, ill get locked out.

Its not the end of the world though, I can deal.