TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Streeteg's Widebody, Rb25det Powered 260z

Hi Guys-- my name is Eric and I have been into everything rolling since I got my big wheels. I have been around this forum with 2 cars one being the car that I began forum life with around 8-9 years ago. (Youll notice a common theme here

After that car had 2-3 theft attempts on it I got rid of it and picked up one of the best cars I have ever worked on. It has come a very long way since I picked it up---and I wanted a place to post the progress over the past 4 years as I have learned a lot and I have a lot of pride in this particular car.

The story goes like this:

Chapter 1:
Pre-Me

Lets start with the body work--- This car has grown on me a ton--- but took a while. The stock lines of a Z are verrrry aggresive... wide mounth front end and long hood were just my favorite. This is quite different--- but that 1 off look has gone from being something that I didnt like to being my most favorite part of the car:

The Beginning:
All metal body work. Welded and seemed from the inside--- a metal skin laid over a frame exo-skeleton. (this will play during the fitment of the works. The actual seems where the flare meets the body has bondo, but for the most part, the car is all metal.

Fresh out the shop:

Motor: 1
The L28et. Straight 6, all motor--- actually one of the most badass sounding motors when done right...

From Wiki:
Engine: 2.6 L (~159 cu in) L26 I6, cast-iron block, alloy head, seven-bearing crankshaft, single overhead camshaft
Displacement: 156.6 cu in (2565 cc)
Bore: 83.0 mm (3.27 in)
Stroke: 79.0 mm (3.11 in)
Compression Ratio: 8.3:1 (93 oct)
Fuel System: Mechanical fuel pump, twin Hitachi HMB 46 W 1.75 in (44.4 mm) SU-type carburetors
Power: 162 hp (121 kW) at 5600 rpm
Torque: 157 ft·lbf (213 N·m) at 4400 rpm
Transmission: Four-speed manual or three-speed automatic
Brakes:
Front: 10.7 in (271.8 mm) discs front
Rear: 9.0 in (228.6 mm) X 1.6 in (40.6 mm) drums rear, servo assisted
Suspension:
Front: Independent with MacPherson struts, lower wishbones, coil springs, telescopic dampers, anti-roll bar
Rear: Independent with MacPherson struts, lower wishbones, coil springs, telescopic dampers
Steering: Rack and Pinion, 2.7 turns lock to lock
Wheels/ Tires: 4.5J-14 steel wheels with 175 SR 14 tyres
Top Speed: 127 mph (204 km/h)
0 to 60 mph (97 km/h): 8.0 sec
Fuel consumption: 20 mpg-US (12 L/100 km; 24 mpg-imp) to 28 mpg-US (8.4 L/100 km; 34 mpg-imp)
Engine oil (sump): 9.0 Imp pints (5.1 liters/10.7 US pints)

Butttttt I guess that just wasnt enough-

-- Enter V8 POWA!

Not sure why that motor was pulled--- but I probably would have owned it if it didnt come out and get replaced with this wonderful piece of machinery I love hearing every time I get in it:

Shortly after that motor went in, the gentlemen who owned this car before me found a beautifull ae86 that he had his heart set on. The timing was just right for me--- I had just got done selling my hatch after its 3rd theft attempt, and was convinced I wouldnt find a project as fun to work on.... Low and behold I surf Nicoclub to find the following pictures

I was in love---I flew down to georgia that day and brought cash in my pocket. When I met the guy he took me out to this southern restaurant that was probably the best food Ill ever taste....we signed/notorized the title, and I was off. But that was a trip of its own!!
The car was missing the following:
Tach
Speedo
Blinkers
Gas Guage (5 gal fuel cell)
heat
a/c
radio
EXHAUST(open dump under the cabin)
seat belts
legit license plates(they were off my old car, Dont worry the car had insurance)
spare tire, jack yadda yadda

So in retrospect it was the coolest story---however the most unprepared trip ive ever taken.

Best story of the trip--- I was between S.C. and Virginia (it all blended together) and I got pulled over by a state trooper. I thought for sure I was screwed. Car was so beyond legal it wasnt even funny. He takes my info and goes back to his car--- and I sit for about 20 minutes (it was probably 5 but it felt like 20) He came back to the passenger side and knocked on the window...Since the crank wasnt on I opened the door and he sat right in!!! Looked over, and said--- Im buildin one kind of like this--- is it a 260? I said "yep" and he replied while shutting the door "ok boy--- show me what Im in for!"

At this point I am absolutly flipping out--- not sure what to expect, so I let the low rumble of a open dumped RB take us off in first to about 3k. I shift. He looks over, as the turbo sputters light backfires underneath the cabin. I do the same in second, and he finally looks at me and says. "Ok listen boy- your with the police, let me see what its got"

As my smile squinted my eyes-- his eyes widened as the roar of the motor took us through 2nd, 3rd, and stopping at 4th with the loudest dynomite sounding backfire as we use the engine to slow the car back down to speed. I didnt do the numbers, bnut the car had a long r180 in it, paired with a long rb20 trans--- I would say we definately went over 100mph but I couldnt tell.

2 exits up, the brakes still having the signature Z squeal, we round back off the highway and start taking backroads on our way back to the cruiser. "this is really something kid, stay safe" as we shook hands and he happily walked back to his caprice.

Last edited by StreetEG; 05-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.
StreetEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Chapter 2: Revival

The car was a great piece of Machinery, just waiting to be finished. Through the different builds, projects, and upgrades I threw a little of my own flair in it---but I started with paint. There were cracks in the bondo--- and I didnt want this car which is known to be a rustbucket to start having any issues when I have been so lucky.
Prep:

The finished product:

Paint is taken care of--- now for the love of god lets get some exhaust on it--- I went with a Carbon Ti Muffler, and subsequently a CF porsche insignia to replace the "sixgun" sticker that was between the Opal GT tailights

Exhaust

MMMM much quieter. The car went from having the sound of a turbo V8 to that smooth straight 6 sound that Ive dreamt about as a teenager watching the supra in F&F1 (shut up you did it too)

The First interior:

Well the original seats were nice, but provided no real bolster/support. Not to mention I couldnt fit the stock seatbelts back in,-- nor did i really want to as they are totally not safe. Not to mention the wiring and dash needed some freshing up--- so I started the first interior:

The finished product:

Last edited by StreetEG; 05-08-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Now that the interior is a wrap---(well for this time around) Its time to make some other decisions. Power, wheels, etc.

In retrospect I should have went from the panasports right to the equips, however I was blinded by some short term decisions.... Not the end of the world but it was a good (but pricey) learning experience. Anyway, I had some 17x9R, 17x8 +35 all around with some pretty decent rubber (kuhmo mx) but all four corners required hefty spacers, and the overall size just didnt agree with the flairs:

Anyway, on to the next mods--- Intercooler, greddy intake mani,type-s bov, I eventually ended up doing the spitfire coils, as well as a FAL 260 Fan- Which is amazing and I would recommend to anyone.

Got some attention from Tristate, as well as from a photographer (Blue32) and did my first few shoots. Many thanks to those who volunteered to shoot my car--- the shots came out great, and I will keep them for as long as possible.

Got the quest alternator upgrade as well as some HIDs: Then to philly for some pics!

Last edited by StreetEG; 05-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Chapter 3 Wheels, and interior all over again---

After the motor, and paint, I still felt like my car was missing that one thing that would take it from good to great. After the fitment/stance wave just swept the east coast I knew that i on a search for wheels. Everywhere I looked sets either didnt come in my offset, or bolt pattern! I looked around forever, and after much patience, someone purchased a set of work equips for their widebody Z--- and decided to get rid of them in lieu of 16s. After looking at the brake options later in the game I now understand why---but regardless---aesthetically they were the best possible wheel (in my opinion) that I could have gotten for 1500 bucks (nearly 1700 off what I was quoted directly from work 6 mos prior.

Next came the hard work. The exoskeleton that the widebody laid atop was near 1/2" thick. While it contributes the overall strength they just didnt allow the wheels to sit right... so out came the rotozip, sander, and about 85 hours of cutting, sanding, polishing, and undercoating.

Sidenote: Diff install:

Had this bad boy laying around since the day I bought it but never got around to putting it in. Still non-lsd, but a 3.9 gear ratio vs a 3.4 and an r200 vs an r180. It was fun pulling apart 30 year old bolts haha... but a great experience. Car was much more responsive after. Also threw in a 6 puck clutch, while everything was apart.

Right about this time I got laid off from my job--- and I went for a photoshoot to make me feel better, but all it did was point out that I had a lot of work to do to get this car up to my speed--- and I finally had the time to do it.
Wires everywhere, nothing looking that sharp--- lets pull it apart and do what I do best

I took the switches off the dash, wrapped it in alcantara, and spent maybe 100-150 hours getting everything on the inside pulled apart, prepped and painted. I added a switchplate in the center console hole. Everything was paintmatched to the exterior, and the guages got LED lights in 4k HID. The heater was adjusted the radio was moved from the dash to a custom hanger between the seat and the trans tunnel. It powers 4" speakers in the dash, 6x9s in the storage boxes fitted with custom ports and a bazooka 6" bass tube. Power FC is velcro'd to the front, and additional guages were added in a custom box between the dash and the trans tunnel.

Last edited by StreetEG; 05-08-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Chapter 5: 2010 events, shoots, etc:

I was lucky enough to be selected by an oustanding photographer :John Renna, to shoot my car for his personal collection. Before I got laid off from my job... one of my clients was Terracycle, an environmentally friendly company in Trenon/ Every year they paint their building white and let graffiti artists from around the area have a good at leaving their best artwork front and Center.

Some of the shots from the 2010 Sonic Meet:

I hope you enjoyed reading so far--- I will try to keep this thread updated with the latest and greatest.

Soon to come- T4 Turbo upgrade, suspension, Paint again! ha we will see.... Stay tuned!

-Eric

Last edited by StreetEG; 05-08-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

one more just in case....
Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

how many do i need for 100 pics?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
O2SpecV
Tri-State Addict

Member #8680

My Ride:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Send a message via AIM to O2SpecV
o my what a lovely car what size v8 was that i am gonna guess a 350
O2SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Looks like a SBC to me. Love the car, definately can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

pics resized--- not sure if they are taking cause they still look huge on my comp-- but hopefully the server will reset.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
rturbo 930
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7354

My Ride:
71 240Z, 76 280Z, 53 CJ3B

Send a message via AIM to rturbo 930
Two things I feel compelled to point out...
1) First motor was not an L28ET, looks more like an NA l26, since there's no turbo there.
2) in the pic of the backside of one of the flares, it looks like it's the rear, but, it DOESN'T look like the inner and outer fender were reattached, at least from that angle. If it's not attached, you will need to do that.

Otherwise, looks great, you've done a great job finishing it up, and it's nice to see it with some wheels that fit the car. Also thanks for providing the history of the car, I never knew it once had a V8. Figured it was called "sixgun" because of the RB.

Just noticed you recovered the dash too. Subtle, but looks sooo much better.

Last edited by rturbo 930; 05-08-2010 at 07:00 PM.
rturbo 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

NIce catch on the motor--- I will edit that--- I just copied it wrong from wiki. As for the fender flares--- they have been smoothed out since that picture, but they actually need to get seemed--- but that is one of those ideal frame off restorations where I can really cut it out, and seem it back up without ruining the body. Eventually the car will have the motor and interior pulled and get media blasted and restore with less bondo etc etc...but the money just isnt there yet, and i enjoy cruisin it too much.

Regardless thanks for the comments--- who knows where the sixgun came from but all I know is I am glad it came w/ the RB!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Badass E-dub.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
This thing is GORGEOUS. If you ever decide to sell it, please PM me your asking price. If its feasible for me at the time, id snatch this up in a second. Both of your cars are beauties.. and I know what its like to have someone try to steal it.. same reason I got out of the Honda game. I think the only thing I dont like is the dash. Its cool, but Im partial to putting modern dashes in older cars. But I love the body work, and the wheels are a perfect match. Any videos of it? Id love to hear it.

Oh, and thanks for the new desktop. The photoshoot with the bright graffiti is awesome.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
93EGY8
Tri-State Addict

Member #6337

car is incredible man, by far my favorite car on this forum.. i saw what you did there with the crown royal bag..lol. nice shift boot man.. always wanted one of those buy never had a car that it fit well with! good job!
-1982 Chevy Camaro Z-28.. Muncie M22 fine spline, Richmond 4:10's, Flowmaster super 40's, 350 4 bolt, lunati cam, fuelie heads, weiand intake, Barry Grant Demon 750cfm double pumper. +6 on jets ..My one true love lol
-1990 bayliner 21ft 5.0 H.O v8 - the floating party
93EGY8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

Send a message via AIM to Sberk06
sososo nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
even your girlfriend thinks you're a ricer haha
Sberk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

Awesome car...sounds amazing...Has come a long way even from the first time ya brought it here!!! Every time its here everybody that walks through the door that day is like "i've never seen a car like that"...lol

Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

I have a video thread in the gallery--- I am getting my hands dirty with a mac and a handheld HD cam---The vids will get progressively better as I get more experience--- and start to build dollys and car mounts etc...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
renn
Tri-State Addict

Member #13821

i think it would look so much sweeter with ZG flares than the widebody
renn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #20
gregfeder
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1094

Send a message via AIM to gregfeder
Havent been around in a while--- but thats lookin good

Listen to our debut EP!!

gregfeder is offline   Reply With Quote