TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to Diablo2424
Question Need a new fun DD, suggestions?

My SER is getting up there now, at 190k miles, so I'm looking to replace it with a nice DD. I will be financing the new car and would prefer to keep the price below $30k.

I am looking for something fun with decent gas mileage, not too small (Fiat 500 Abarth/Miata/Mini Cooper S are all out lol) and something that I don't need to mod to enjoy driving it every day.

The Fiesta ST is on the list, I still need to go test drive it and see if it's too small, plus the wife is trying to push me to stay Automatic just in case she needs to drive my car for any reason.

I would like to get something a bit more grown up/adult, so I'm staying clear of the usual suspects like WRX, Genesis, etc. I am now thinking about maybe a GTI or Jetta 2.0T. No matter what I get I know I'm going to end up doing basic mods like an intake, tune and exhaust, but I don't want to do much more than that, as it'll be the DD, so reliability is key.

What other options are out there nowadays? Also, something with a nicer looking interior is key for me, and I need rear seats, so the 350/370z's are out too unfortunately.

Previous: 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R - NWP | z32/z33 Brakes |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Previous: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4'ed
Diablo2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

What about a focus ST

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

if it doesnt have to be brand new i would look into the 2010-2015 Audi s4 with the dsg

great daily driver, quick stock and can be even quicker with just a pulley and a tune.

my car was very reliable over the 40k miles i put on it
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Hyundai Genesis sedan 4.6
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Tinkles
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #20692

My Ride:
2003 Cavalier(toy), 2004 S60(DD)

I am really enjoying my 2010 Lancer Ralliart Sportback. Turbocharged 2.0L and AWD.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Nice, good suggestions guys, thank you thus far. If anyone has any more I'm definitely interested to hear them, if you need more criteria I can give it.

The Focus ST is nice, but I end up in the same boat as the Fiesta ST, the wife doesn't like the hatchbacks (excluding VW Golf/GTI) and she wants an automatic just in case she needs to drive it, which is fine with me, especially if I go dual-clutch or DSG as they're not like old crappy autotragics we had back in the day.

I'm not a big fan of the Genesis styling, especially in sedan form. I would LOVE to get an Audi S3, but they're just out of my price range still, unless I can wait it out a bit for them to start coming off leases, and become more affordable. I will look into used S4's, which motor was in that generation (2010-2015) the 3.0t (s/c)? I don't want to go as far back as to end up with the B5 4.2.

I'm also thinking, maybe a G37 if I can find one in my price range with lower mileage.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Some used ideas:

Lexus SC430 (unless you need more than 2 seats)
BMW 335xi TT
Mercedes C63 (they're low 20's used)

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

g37x and be my twin
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo2424 View Post
Nice, good suggestions guys, thank you thus far. If anyone has any more I'm definitely interested to hear them, if you need more criteria I can give it.

The Focus ST is nice, but I end up in the same boat as the Fiesta ST, the wife doesn't like the hatchbacks (excluding VW Golf/GTI) and she wants an automatic just in case she needs to drive it, which is fine with me, especially if I go dual-clutch or DSG as they're not like old crappy autotragics we had back in the day.

I'm not a big fan of the Genesis styling, especially in sedan form. I would LOVE to get an Audi S3, but they're just out of my price range still, unless I can wait it out a bit for them to start coming off leases, and become more affordable. I will look into used S4's, which motor was in that generation (2010-2015) the 3.0t (s/c)? I don't want to go as far back as to end up with the B5 4.2.

I'm also thinking, maybe a G37 if I can find one in my price range with lower mileage.
yes the 3.0t, with basic mods its an 11 second car on pump gas and very very reliable
Old 06-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Okay so the Fiesta ST is out unfortunately, as the wife isn't interested in driving manual, which I'm fine with, I'd rather not have to replace clutches as she burns them up learning.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following few options:

2011+ Infiniti G37s/G37xs (IPL, if I can find one in 7AT and my price range)
2015+ Chrysler 200s (Pentastar 3.6L V6)
2012+ Audi A3 2.0T (S3/S4 3.0T is out of my price range, and an A3 can still be tuned easily, no GTI as I want AWD, not FWD)
2010+ Ford Taurus SHO

What's everyone's take on each of these options?

Here's my thoughts on each one (to help me narrow down to what I'm looking for).

Infiniti G37 - A little pricey for what you're getting, I'm going to want to upgrade the calipers to quad-piston if I don't get one with them on it already, they seem to hit a wall of limited performance with bolt-ons until you go F/I, which is $8k+ so out of my means or plans for a DD

Chrysler 200s - Awesome looking car, kind of a sleeper though it's not THAT fast, it can be quick, but there isn't too big of an aftermarket for it, however, these can be had VERY affordably, have tons of bells and whistles (heated + cooled seats!) and would be the financially smart choice, just not that fast. Also, I have a hook up within Chrysler and can get an even better deal on one, plus if I ever need anything or have any problems, I know I'll be taken care of

Audi A3 - Can be made plenty quick enough for what I'm looking for, however, I'm worried about parts and cost of ownership in general, as it IS an Audi (VW maintenance and parts, even stock replacements for things when they break can be expensive)

For Taurus SHO - This car can be made VERY fast for not much money, it can be had fairly affordably, however, I've never owned a Ford and can't speak on their reliability, especially when modded. These are similarly priced to the G37's in the used market, except I'd be getting AWD + TT V6 out of the box - sweet. Also, I'm not entirely crazy about their styling, but their not bad looking... I've noticed it's tougher to find one with a sunroof though, which is a must for me, I've always had one and can't live without it now (I know, stupid petty thing, but it's just a personal preference for me)

I love hearing other's thoughts, experience and knowledge on these options I've picked.... to help me narrow it down - GO! :-D

Last edited by Diablo2424; 06-08-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #11
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

i dont have an a3, however i do have an s3 and its a pretty fun little car!

the a3 can put out similar performance to an s3 very easily as well.

buy a cpo 2013/2014 and have a nice warranty for piece of mind
Old 06-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Okay, so I'm knocking the Audi off the list... too many issues to worry about, I know I'm going to end up voiding any warranty by modding it, and parts are out of my league if/when something goes wrong. I'm looking to keep this next car long term.

2011+ Infiniti G37s/G37xs
2010+ Ford Taurus SHO

Thoughts?

Old 06-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #13
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

If those are your only options, I say the infiniti. I stay clear of chrysler for the most part and I dont think the taurus SHO is worth the money. I feel like you get a better deal with the infiniti and youll be more happy with your purchase.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #14
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

Quote:
Okay, so I'm knocking the Audi off the list... too many issues to worry about, I know I'm going to end up voiding any warranty by modding it, and parts are out of my league if/when something goes wrong. I'm looking to keep this next car long term.

2010+ Ford Taurus SHO

Thoughts?
what issues would the audi have? if you think the audi has issues wait until you see how the sho fails let alone the 200s lol

looks like its a g37 for you
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

Quote:

2010+ Ford Taurus SHO

Thoughts?
i see you read my post

a g37xs is pretty hard to find fyi

never do audi unless lease
Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #16
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

The tarus SHO confuses me. How can such a big car be so little inside.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #17
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
If those are your only options, I say the infiniti. I stay clear of chrysler for the most part and I dont think the taurus SHO is worth the money. I feel like you get a better deal with the infiniti and youll be more happy with your purchase.
Why stay clear of Chrysler though? Any reasons or bad reliability reports? (I just haven't seen any - not that I've looked too hard yet). I totally get the SHO though, the interior of it seems a bit cheap, for what you're paying, especially in comparison to the alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
what issues would the audi have? if you think the audi has issues wait until you see how the sho fails let alone the 200s lol

looks like its a g37 for you
VW electronics scare me, and then for example if the transmission let's go, it's an easy $10k replacement, oil changes are recommended to use their own branded oil + filters which is much more expensive than third-party parts used on most other cars.

Are there known issues with the SHO? I was browsing around their forums and couldn't find too much on their lack of reliability. The 200 I know about the trans issue, and the guy I know who is pretty high up at Chrysler has told me that they have the proper software fix to resolve the issue, it just needs to be distributed out. That aside, what other reliability issues do they have? Because I'm heavily leaning towards this car since it'll be a great, affordable DD, and I love the looks of it inside and out.

The G37 really is the go to choice for most people I ask this question too, lol, I have a feeling I may end up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavillac95 View Post
i see you read my post

a g37xs is pretty hard to find fyi

never do audi unless lease
Yeah, the XS would be IF I can find one, else I wouldn't mind having just an S. I mainly want that so I don't have to upgrade the brakes to the Akebono's, I'd prefer it comes with them, saving me some wrenching time, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
The tarus SHO confuses me. How can such a big car be so little inside.
hahah, I haven't been in one just yet, but that is an interesting thing to state, I'll have to remember then when I check one out in person. I'm also a bit worried I'm not going to like the interior, based on what I've seen in pictures. It seems very cheap and plastic-y

Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #18
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

Quote:
Why stay clear of Chrysler though? Any reasons or bad reliability reports? (I just haven't seen any - not that I've looked too hard yet). I totally get the SHO though, the interior of it seems a bit cheap, for what you're paying, especially in comparison to the alternatives.

VW electronics scare me, and then for example if the transmission let's go, it's an easy $10k replacement, oil changes are recommended to use their own branded oil + filters which is much more expensive than third-party parts used on most other cars.

Are there known issues with the SHO? I was browsing around their forums and couldn't find too much on their lack of reliability. The 200 I know about the trans issue, and the guy I know who is pretty high up at Chrysler has told me that they have the proper software fix to resolve the issue, it just needs to be distributed out. That aside, what other reliability issues do they have? Because I'm heavily leaning towards this car since it'll be a great, affordable DD, and I love the looks of it inside and out.

The G37 really is the go to choice for most people I ask this question too, lol, I have a feeling I may end up with it.

Yeah, the XS would be IF I can find one, else I wouldn't mind having just an S. I mainly want that so I don't have to upgrade the brakes to the Akebono's, I'd prefer it comes with them, saving me some wrenching time, lol.

hahah, I haven't been in one just yet, but that is an interesting thing to state, I'll have to remember then when I check one out in person. I'm also a bit worried I'm not going to like the interior, based on what I've seen in pictures. It seems very cheap and plastic-y
rear wheel drive as dd ???
Old 06-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavillac95 View Post
rear wheel drive as dd ???
yeah, where I live and work we don't get much snow, the roads are typically cleared fairly quickly, and if it's THAT bad, I can take my wife's AWD Rogue to work/the store or wherever. Plus, if I have a second set of wheels with winter tires on them, I'll be fine

Old 06-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #20
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

How have you never heard that most chryslers are trash?

Quote: