TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #161
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Oopsy...
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #162
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Im not sure why the plug or CPS waited until my first national event but it did. I have not touched the plug since I put the motor in and have done lots of driving and ~22 autox runs. I guess I need to check it with the stiff motor mounts I have in.

Anyway... Some more pics:

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #163
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Hopefully you have better luck for the finger lakes tour Don't forget your helmet!

I recently dropped mine at an event while trying to clean the visor and cracked it in half and had to buy a new one... So don't feel too dumb
Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #164
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

just stumbled on that
Old 05-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #165
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Sweet Picture. Thanks

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #166
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

is you head higher than the windshield? maybe time for a tall roll bar

also, im definitely on the hunt for a miata once the truck goes up for sale
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #167
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
is you head higher than the windshield? maybe time for a tall roll bar

also, im definitely on the hunt for a miata once the truck goes up for sale
That is my co driver who is about 4" taller than me. He doesn't fit with the top on. Funny thing, the seat is a kirkey bolted to stock sliders, so its pretty low. For him to fit properly it would need to be bolted to the floor.

The wife is starting to get attached to the white one haha.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #168
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Also I would like a roll bar but they add weight . Ill probably do it at some point, that way I can take it to the track as well.

Also I feel like the helmet looks similar to this --->

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #169
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

So, we had an oil down incident in the CRX during the Super Challenge on Sunday. Felt bad for the remaining drivers Felt worse that I didn't win cause the car popped due to bad luck...
Old 05-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #170
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
So, we had an oil down incident in the CRX during the Super Challenge on Sunday. Felt bad for the remaining drivers Felt worse that I didn't win cause the car popped due to bad luck...
O boy... I hope I didn't start a trend. Defiantly sucks all around.

Was the car okay?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #171
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
O boy... I hope I didn't start a trend. Defiantly sucks all around.

Was the car okay?
When the rod poked out of the block it cleanly tore the clamp off of the CV boot while leaving the boot untouched.

So that part of the car is OK
Old 05-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #172
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
When the rod poked out of the block it cleanly tore the clamp off of the CV boot while leaving the boot untouched.

So that part of the car is OK
Well thank good for that

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #173
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Good News

Last night I slapped a new oil filter on there and let the car idle and revved it a bunch to see if Id pick up any metal. There were no metal flakes in the oil filter. I'm pretty sure the car is not a ticking bomb. I'm going to try to get to an event before the finger lakes tour and NEPA pocono regional.

I may be at the philly event sunday but I really don't feel like dealing with another crappy weather autoX.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #174
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

If the weather clears up and you make it out, we should be there as well! I'll be there for sure, just not 100% sure which car yet.

Susquehanna region has an event at the farm show complex next weekend.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #175
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

philly autocross

Ended up going to the philly scca autoX at wells fargo sunday. Overall was a pretty good day. The weather was nearly perfect and the car came home in one piece. I ended up letting a friend codrive in the afternoon since he got the boot for being to loud. That means the car made 10 runs total.

The car felt pretty good, the driving was pretty bad. I ran a 42.3 and coned away 2 42.0 runs. The car easy had a mid to low 41 in it I just need to drive better. Given how little I've driven the car this year I seem to be having trouble keeping up with my eyes and hands. I had alot of wide lines.

I ended up 35 in pax (out of ~100) and like 4-5th raw time for fendered cars. Overall good times were had and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #176
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Hey! I saw you there, but never had the chance to go say hi as we were busy in grid the whole time.

That god damn loop... Simmons kept telling me to drive tight when that wasn't the answer, at least for STS. My worst Philly showing in a long time.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #177
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Yeah the loop was tricky. Messing up the loop made me mess up the slalom entry. Then I would continue and mess up the back turn around and run that wide. I think I had the last section down pretty good.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #178
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Since my last post I have not done anything to the car but drive.

Fingerlakes Solo National Champ Tour 6/8

My second national event, the disaster at Pitt being the other one. Things went much smoother.

Sat - The car started making a strange noise at started-up and light throttle inputs. I was getting paranoid (given the oil lose at pittsburg) that it was the start of rod knock. I drove my first run slow to make sure I didnt blow it up. Things seemed okay. Mcdonalds from the day before was not helping the situation and didn't let me eat anything all day. I was quite slow and those are my excuses.

Sunday
I felt better and had confidence the car was good. I drove better but was still slower than I would like. Car felt pretty good but being a single driver means the tires aren't truly up to temp until the 3rd run. I am not consistent enough to get a good run every time. This time I was pushing hard trying to make up time from saturday and lost a bunch of time with a big slide on my 3rd run. My second was my fastest.

Overall a great experience. I can see why people vacation in the fingerlakes it is beautiful and the people are very nice. I took the oil filter apart when I got home and everything looks okay. The car just makes noises I guess and at this point I need to forget about the Pittsburg incident

Pocono 6/16
NEPA SCCA does a great organizing pocono autocrosses at this point and this weekend was no different. 6 runs on saturday and 8 on sunday, ~70 sec courses. I had a blast driving but should have been faster. I ended up 10th fastest raw time, 39th pax out of ~160 combined for the 2 days, ~6 seconds behind a BSP Mazdaspeed Miata which I should be within shouting distance of (6 sec is not shouting distance). On saturday I really struggled with cones and the box on the back stretch. Sunday I needed to shift to 3rd probably 2-3 times per run and was having alot of trouble finding the place to do so.

Pic from pocono

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 06-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #179
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Glad to hear the engine is ok! I had the constant fear of engine explosion in my GTI, that sucks.

On Saturday you were getting late in the walloms and plowing cones. Sunday you were on the right lines but clearly not quite as aggressive. Gotta work on the 2-3 shifts, shouldn't really be needed much at national events, but when it is...
Old 06-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #180
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Glad to hear the engine is ok! I had the constant fear of engine explosion in my GTI, that sucks.

On Saturday you were getting late in the walloms and plowing cones. Sunday you were on the right lines but clearly not quite as aggressive. Gotta work on the 2-3 shifts, shouldn't really be needed much at national events, but when it is...
I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I definitely struggle to keep up with the car. Ill get there. And third gear shifts really seem to be confusing me this year haha. Got me a fingerlakes as well.

At this point I definitely have higher expectations for performance than I used to. Sometimes I have to remind myself 1.5 years ago this car was a beat up drift car. The nice thing is the car is pretty complete at this point and I can focus on driving.

That being said I am considering taking some caster out which means I would need to remake some bushings. I no longer have access to a lathe

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-