TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Dave's 997.1 911 Carrera Coupe

For the past year I've been lucky enough to drive or ride in a lot of cars that I'd heavily considered for purchase. They were the new STI, the new Golf R, the new Mustang GT with Recaros and Performance Pack, an e92 M3, a new Stingray Vette and finally a 911.

Coming from the E46 M3, there really weren't many cars that are out there that offer as raw of an experience that are as daily driving friendly and fun as that car. Knowing how hard that balance is to find, I stopped looking at what Japan offers after sampling the newest example of the STi (just not that good in 2015). I even looked at the BRZ, but couldn't deal with the power level for what I want.

My final choice came down to a Golf R or a Mustang with PP and Recaros. Both were near or over $40k new and both will be worth $25k in 3-4 years. Both are very quick and composed with nicely built interiors and catchy trim. Both respond insanely well to modifications.

It was this choice that kept me awake at night because I knew I wanted something fast, but I also knew that each had slight downsides. The Golf R isn't the most attractive car. The Mustang isn't the most practical car.

Then I looked at depreciation on these $40k cars and determined that waiting 3-4 years would allow me to snag them up around $25k. Insane value for that price.

In the meantime, I decided to see what the cash could buy me and with depreciation in mind, I picked up a 2008 Carrera with 26k miles on it. It's a 6 speed manual, black on black coupe. Bose stereo, HID lighting, Navigation, power sport seats are the only options.

I got Porsches own 3/36k mile aftermarket warranty on the car on the less than 1% chance of an IMS blowing on me. I got all service records since this was a vehicle purchased and serviced entirely through the Porsche dealer.

So far I have driven the car almost 2k miles and it's by far the purest sports car I've owned to date. Since depreciation has already taken the majority of its steep toll, I won't be losing my butt on this car 3-4 years from now, and with the new Porsche cars coming with turbos and the next 911 potentially being a hybrid, this could be a nice traditional 911 to have in the garage.

I don't plan on modifying this car that much, as Porsche aftermarket part prices are insane. I refuse to pay close to $8k for an exhaust system/tune for gains that may or may not actually exist (dynos vary).

This means that this journal will be more about the trips and journey taken with the car, rather than the parts du jour. And now the pictures.

Album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskrraCoT

When I picked the car up:

Simple interior:

Before putting on the clear side lenses:

After:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 12-19-2015 at 06:22 PM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

nice purchase. those clear markers make a world of difference!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Ej6Mike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16729

My Ride:
Manwagon

You just keep climbing up the dream car ladder.... STI... M3... Now porche? Awesome!

sure!
Ej6Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thanks! The clear markers were a must do

Thank you, that's my plan. Move up and experience as much as I can before I get too old or have kids.

Porsche decided to not include Bluetooth or an aux input on their factory radios until the 997.2 in 2009. Since those currently go for $20-30k more than my 2008...I'm attempting to update the stock navigation/radio. I've tried the cheapest way (FM modulator). That sucked. I've also tried an inline FM transmitter (Tranzit Blu). The board fried. So now I'm looking at the Denison product.

Slowly working my way up the ladder to a new head unit that works with the Bose stereo, but trying everything along the way first.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ordered a del rey customs stereo kit for the car. Kenwood ddx head unit with car play etc, a plug and play harness for the Bose stereo and a matched faceplate for mounting the stereo in the car. Problem solved

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Nice pick up. I believe the 997.1 don't have the IMS problem.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

If you need any performance parts for it let me know.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

nice pick up

i thought you picked up an m235i?
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I didn't know you were such a babe, Dave

Very nice choice, these are great cars! Do you plan on keeping this one only until you go with the Golf R or Mustang?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Nice pick up. I believe the 997.1 don't have the IMS problem.
Unfortunately, the 997.1 still has the IMS issue, however it is a lot smaller of a problem than the internet leads us to believe (much like rear subframes on the E46 M3).

There is an IMS bearing change partway through the 2006 model year. The 2005 and those early 2006's had the smaller IMS bearing that was more prone to damage. However, since the bearing is smaller, it is much more easily replaced.

After the change in mid-2006, the bearing became much larger and a replacement entails taking apart the motor. It wasn't until the 997.2 and the 2009 model year where the IMS is gone from the motors altogether.

However, here enters three things to consider:

1). The failure rate is roughly ~4% of 2005/06 motors. On the IMS changed 2006-2008 motors, the failure rate is under 1%.

2). The 997.1's are affordable for me (under $50k), the 997.2's are not (and I doubt they'll depreciate as much due to the lack of an IMS issue).

3). I purchased the Porsche aftermarket warranty on the car which is bumper to bumper and covers the IMS issue completely.

I like 99% success rates and until I can swing the 997.2, this is the next best thing for me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
If you need any performance parts for it let me know.
Fabspeed parts? I really like the packages you have put together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
nice pick up

i thought you picked up an m235i?
Thank you!

I had the M235i for a few months then just swapped out of the lease. I had planned on keeping it the full term and only doing minor work to it (intake, tune). After I did that, I realized the car desperately needs the rear LSD for it to be more inline with the E46 M3 I had. That and the M suspension on it really wasn't as stiff as I prefer for a sports car. Great car if you have the funds to go all in on it! (LSD, 19" wheels, KW suspension for the DDC, etc.)

I still think that even though the E46 M3 was slower (by a lot after the tune), it had better driver involvement and feel to it. Plus, you can really tell there isn't an LSD on the M235i and I'm not a fan of that feeling coming out of a turn or from a start.

My final ranking as a driver's car (ignoring acceleration) is E46 M3 > M235i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I didn't know you were such a babe, Dave

Very nice choice, these are great cars! Do you plan on keeping this one only until you go with the Golf R or Mustang?

Thanks, I've been working out a lot...trying to keep my figure, ya know.

Thank you!

You know, that's a great question! I haven't fully decided that fate just yet. I'm currently DDing a 2016 GTI SE with PP and a manual for my company lease car (I've been tempted to do a journal for that car too). It's a stick 2-door and I'm honestly in love with it. The performance pack on the new GTI really gives you a solid 85% of the Golf R. I may just keep it and use that as my DD.

The Mustang will definitely happen due to the oncoming GHG regulations that begin in MY18. At that time, you will start to see N/A engines and V8's become extinct from volume cars. The Mustang GT will probably go to an Ecoboost V6 around MY20, and by MY25 the horsepower renaissance that we are currently enjoying will have come to an end. That and how much improved the new Mustang is have me in line to buy the right one when depreciation runs its 3-4 year course. I have a strong feeling that V8's and N/A 911's will become sought after by the 2030's.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 01-02-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

A few car updates:

--Joined the PCA (Porsche Club of America) today...track event discounts, yay!

--Bought a used EVOMS intake kit for 60% less than new. Going to clean the filter and see what its like. Apparently, there won't be any real power gains.

--My new stereo kit from del rey will get here on Thursday. I'll post pictures of the ordeal. I've already removed the PCM head unit and look forward to having modern conveniences in an entirely analog sports car experience.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Received the Evo intake kit and the new car stereo today! Excited to put them in. The next mod for the 911 will be relatively simple (since I have the entire service history), new Michelin PSS tires. That will be waiting until Spring as we head into the winter slumber months. Then I'll be sure to take some road trips and grab some photos once the weather turns.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Thanks, I've been working out a lot...trying to keep my figure, ya know.

Thank you!

You know, that's a great question! I haven't fully decided that fate just yet. I'm currently DDing a 2016 GTI SE with PP and a manual for my company lease car (I've been tempted to do a journal for that car too). It's a stick 2-door and I'm honestly in love with it. The performance pack on the new GTI really gives you a solid 85% of the Golf R. I may just keep it and use that as my DD.

The Mustang will definitely happen due to the oncoming GHG regulations that begin in MY18. At that time, you will start to see N/A engines and V8's become extinct from volume cars. The Mustang GT will probably go to an Ecoboost V6 around MY20, and by MY25 the horsepower renaissance that we are currently enjoying will have come to an end. That and how much improved the new Mustang is have me in line to buy the right one when depreciation runs its 3-4 year course. I have a strong feeling that V8's and N/A 911's will become sought after by the 2030's.
Interesting. I don't tend to plan my car purchases that far ahead but I do expect the current N/A power engines to die, sadly.

I'd be looking at a GT350 pretty hard

What's the Evo intake do that the stock one doesn't?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interesting. I don't tend to plan my car purchases that far ahead but I do expect the current N/A power engines to die, sadly.

I'd be looking at a GT350 pretty hard

What's the Evo intake do that the stock one doesn't?
The GT350 is going to be tough...Shelby Mustangs tend to not depreciate very much for quite a few years...I'm hoping we can get to 2019 or so before the used car market realizes what is going on.

Honestly, nothing much. It's supposed to make more power on the dyno, but I don't think it will in reality. The big thing with it is that it is supposed to open up the induction noise on the motor at higher RPMs. More volume out of that flat 6 is a great thing when it's behind you.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, I'd not count on much depreciation with those, sadly. I think I'll buy a house before I consider buying one, which is even more depressing.

More noise is good enough To be honest I kinda doubt it really needs much more power, but I've been driving slow cars for nearly 5 years, only occasionally driving someone else's fast cars, haha
Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

You might get lucky and find one for a decent price somewhere! It's not all doom and gloom haha.

Yeah It's not a slow car...0-60 in 4.8 seconds. It's just not the fastest car i've owned either. The handling is really, really good. The power isn't lacking at all, but it would be nice to have more of a top end pull like the VANOS did in the M3.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Do you have any track time planned?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Do you have any track time planned?
Most likely sometime in March at Summit Point. I need to get new tires first and check with the PCA schedule.

Started the intake install today:

Not your mom's civic engine bay...

Air box removed:

Belts look fairly easy to access here:

At this point, I realized that the used kit I bought was missing the connector for the intake pipe to the throttle body. So I had to put the stock parts back in.

I've emailed Sam at EvoMS to order the missing parts of the kit, so now I wait.

Extremely easy install...just missing one part, sheesh.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That stinks I see now how the new intake will work. There's not much of an intake tract, ha. Did the parts come in yet?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

needs fender flares
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote