TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Exclamation Save Our Beetle! Piczorz inside, opinions needed!

Alright, a short background. My dad does construction, mostly residential blacktop & concrete work. We always have people coming up to us asking for work done while we are in the middle of a job. 95% of the time, the simple "call the office, they'll send someone out to give you an estimate" is given, but sometimes their will be a car in the driveway with a cover over it and instead the answer will be "well what's under the cover" You'd be amazed at how many people have antique cars that they don't want or have no interest in keeping.

Ever now and then somehow my dad will strike a deal with the person and they'll get work done and we'll get some sort of car. (has happened about a dozen times in the past few years) Well last week this scenario plays itself out and the homeowner has a 1970 VW beetle that he's owned since he was 16. A little wheeling and dealing and now we have a 1970 VW beetle.

So, I'm asking for everyone's opinions on what path should be taken on this little gem for it's restoration. Runs like a top, interior is in great condition, no rust, BUT the owner put a fiberglass body kit on it back in the 70's and IMO it looks terrible. Poor little beetle is being forced to look like a porsche and she doesnt want to.

My dad just wants to clean it up, paint it, and keep the bodykit because he thinks it looks different.

I want to restore it, bring it to oem, and slam the ****er.

Onto the pictzorz:

Thoughts?

And just one more of the shop:

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)

Last edited by The Captain; 05-30-2008 at 06:44 PM.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
holy please resize the pics!!!

Bug looks awesome tho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Pm me for my number I can help you out, I may have most of the parts sitting around. I have a ton of aircooled stuff
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
enigma
Tri-State Addict

Member #2659

My Ride:
Hoopties galore

Send a message via AIM to enigma
Turn it into a dune-buggy
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
87fierogt
Tri-State Addict

Member #1760

My Ride:
82 v8 s10

keep the kit give it a metal flake paint job and slam it
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
ditch the kit and do it up like a super beetle dune buggy

or this
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

Haha, that there is called the mullholand look, popular in the 80's. To convert back to a stock appearance, from what I see, you will need fenders, headlights, running boards, and maybe the decklid(I cant see how that wing goes on). Not too bad. Try to find some quality used fenders as the new ones available from Brazil, mexico, and Italy are junk with misaligned holes and rough edges. Good fibreglass ones are also available in stock as well as widened sizes though I am unaware of the good companies(always been a steel person myself). Most running boards are flimsy junk. Oeveedub has good ones, wolfsburg west as well.

If you want to slam it, you have a few routes to take. For the front, cb performance makes a 2 1/2" drop spindle and disc brake kit. Easy to do and cheap. However, if you want more, you will need the beam modified with adjusters or a new one. If you get a new beam, you can get it narrowed to bring the wheels in closer. You will, however, need to cut out the well a little(they say it's fine up to 3", but I needed to cut for my 3" narrowed beam), as well as narrowed tie rods, shocks, and a bump steer kit. No matter what, get some caster shims, even for stock height. Bugs have too little caster causing wandering at high speed. Caster shims are very cheap and are installed simply by unbolting the 2 lower beam bolts, prying, and knocking them into place. Use 1 set until a 2 1/2" drop, double up after that. You can also install an anti-sway bar. Last I checked, the only avail kit is from whiteline. Good, but I had to mod some stuff on it for mine. If you are changing the wheels, keep in mind that you are more limited in tire/wheel offset choice than most cars as lug pattern is 4x130 and space is limited.

For the rear, you can drop it by rotating the thing the torsion bar splines go into. A pain, I just opted for an adjustable spring plate(they got expensive recently though). Go too low and the camber goes out a little but not as bad as a swingaxle car. Do'nt worry about heavier torsion bars with a stock engine. Again, wheel offset and tire choice is critical. And if you're wondering, stay WAY clear of airbag kits. The most common one(Airkewld) is garbage.

You did'nt mention what you want to do with the engine. IMO, keep it stock unless you're rolling and if the stocker is good. If you want more power, it's a rat race out there trying to find a good builder and bolt-ons are'nt really worth the trouble except for the better fuel economy afforded by dual carbs. The trans will also need work as well as anti-wheelhop measures. If you want to go the power route, pm me and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Well, pm me or respond back regardless for any questions. Keep in mind that all acvw's are a hoot from stockers to monsters; you do'nt have to look at it while driving. Have fun.
93 93/93
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

Nice find. Ditch the body kit. Bring it out to DripFest at Spring Mountain next weekend.

I recognize that Ford pick-up in the last pic. I met your dad at a cruise night last year.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Park View Post
Haha, that there is called the mullholand look, popular in the 80's. To convert back to a stock appearance, from what I see, you will need fenders, headlights, running boards, and maybe the decklid(I cant see how that wing goes on). Not too bad. Try to find some quality used fenders as the new ones available from Brazil, mexico, and Italy are junk with misaligned holes and rough edges. Good fibreglass ones are also available in stock as well as widened sizes though I am unaware of the good companies(always been a steel person myself). Most running boards are flimsy junk. Oeveedub has good ones, wolfsburg west as well.

If you want to slam it, you have a few routes to take. For the front, cb performance makes a 2 1/2" drop spindle and disc brake kit. Easy to do and cheap. However, if you want more, you will need the beam modified with adjusters or a new one. If you get a new beam, you can get it narrowed to bring the wheels in closer. You will, however, need to cut out the well a little(they say it's fine up to 3", but I needed to cut for my 3" narrowed beam), as well as narrowed tie rods, shocks, and a bump steer kit. No matter what, get some caster shims, even for stock height. Bugs have too little caster causing wandering at high speed. Caster shims are very cheap and are installed simply by unbolting the 2 lower beam bolts, prying, and knocking them into place. Use 1 set until a 2 1/2" drop, double up after that. You can also install an anti-sway bar. Last I checked, the only avail kit is from whiteline. Good, but I had to mod some stuff on it for mine. If you are changing the wheels, keep in mind that you are more limited in tire/wheel offset choice than most cars as lug pattern is 4x130 and space is limited.

For the rear, you can drop it by rotating the thing the torsion bar splines go into. A pain, I just opted for an adjustable spring plate(they got expensive recently though). Go too low and the camber goes out a little but not as bad as a swingaxle car. Do'nt worry about heavier torsion bars with a stock engine. Again, wheel offset and tire choice is critical. And if you're wondering, stay WAY clear of airbag kits. The most common one(Airkewld) is garbage.

You did'nt mention what you want to do with the engine. IMO, keep it stock unless you're rolling and if the stocker is good. If you want more power, it's a rat race out there trying to find a good builder and bolt-ons are'nt really worth the trouble except for the better fuel economy afforded by dual carbs. The trans will also need work as well as anti-wheelhop measures. If you want to go the power route, pm me and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Well, pm me or respond back regardless for any questions. Keep in mind that all acvw's are a hoot from stockers to monsters; you do'nt have to look at it while driving. Have fun.
93 93/93
As for right now, we're just trying to clean it up and fix a few little issues (driver side door not openning properly etc.) but once we actually get into the bulk of the restoration, i'm sure i'll be sending some questions your way. Thanks for the help so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
Nice find. Ditch the body kit. Bring it out to DripFest at Spring Mountain next weekend.

I recognize that Ford pick-up in the last pic. I met your dad at a cruise night last year.
He actually just picked that truck up like 3 weeks ago. You probably met the old owner. We're trying to fix a few butchings on that truck too.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
Good stuff , and a nice find. I like the original body style

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Make it into an 1/8 mile drag car.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
KrazyHouseCustoms
Vendor

Member #7738

Send a message via AIM to KrazyHouseCustoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Turn it into a dune-buggy
I've always thought they looked really cool like this. If you need someone to fab up a sick lift give us a call. (732) 951-9111

Krazy House Customs
3974 Route-1 North
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
(732) 951-9111
krazyhousecustoms.com
KrazyHouseCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Park View Post

respond back regardless for any questions.
93 93/93
Maybe you could help me by telling me what are some of the body mods done to this guy. I'm really liking this look.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
^^ i like that alot as well

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
K9_Eclipse
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7717

My Ride:
98 Prelude SH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Maybe you could help me by telling me what are some of the body mods done to this guy. I'm really liking this look.

I used to own a '63 VW Beetle, and if i'm not mistaken thats all OEM bro,.. the running board looks after market with it running up the rear quarter panel,.. the headlight housing just painted to match the bumpers and been dropped. they are great fun cars,.. nice find.. if you come across another I would love to have another VW bug.. hit me up!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

lol @ Porsche whaletail.

i say do it a favor and firebomb it.
Chair-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Send a message via AIM to the mike Send a message via Yahoo to the mike
That grey one has WRX wheels on it. Not sure about the running gear, but the wheels are definately Subaru.

EDIT:After further scrutiny, they LOOK like WRX wheels, but I don't think they are...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i thought they looked like porsche wheels, but otherwise it looks mostly stock and really clean. i dig it...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Yeah, i really like that silver one. I need to know what those wheels are, where to find the black bumpers, and the sideskirt business. We need to paint the whole thing so i need ideas for colors too. I like the silver, but my current car is silver so IDK about that. Maybe black? w/ a light tint (35%) would look sick.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

The silver one is a '73-up super beetle. Bumpers powdercoated/painted along with some other black stuff(running boards are aftermarket and come black- flimsy afaik). Decromed(for the most part) in other words, and that would be considered "german look". It has been converted to 5 lug of some sort(both factory lug patterns are atypical- 5x205 and 4x130).
The front suspension on a super is completely different and is a better canidate for handling. On the same token, the front suspension is much more finicky. They are also about 150 lbs heavier than a same year standard. Easily distinguised by the bigger hood buldge and curved winshield for '73-up(supers ran from '71-'77 in sedan form, all verts from '73-'79 were supers).
93 93/93
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote