TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #41
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:
'06 Evo SE, '99 Integra, '97 Q45

yeah it is my dd so I don't need a race spring exactly but I still want something low and comfortable. I'm now debating between the h&r and the swifts. Any reviews or personal experiences?
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #42
Asif22
Tri-State Addict

Member #5682

My Ride:
2008 Honda S2000 CR

Send a message via AIM to Asif22
Sounds like you are a level headed kid with cool parents! Enjoy the car man!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #43
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

ARC is for ricers. Just go all Buschur.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #44
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Got the tints done and they look great! GV did an amazing job. I'll post pictures in a little bit. I ordered new wheels but I'll save that as a surprise when they come.

I talked to a friend of mine and he said that he did lowering springs first then ended up getting new coilovers and he said don't bother wasting the money on springs and just save up. What do you guys think? I have no problem saving the money if it's worth it
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #45
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
I talked to a friend of mine and he said that he did lowering springs first then ended up getting new coilovers and he said don't bother wasting the money on springs and just save up. What do you guys think? I have no problem saving the money if it's worth it
I just look at it as how much do you really need & at what cost? How many times are you actually really going to play with the settings? People say ohh i'd love to raise & lower it when needed but be real with it. If done properly it shouldn't really ever need to be adjusted again except if your tracking the car were your alignment settings come into play.
A bilstein/swift spec-R setup is more then enough handling then 95% maybe more of the people on this site would ever use while still giving you a nice stance. You have regular kyb's now which can still be used with a spec-R spring with success if you wanna go that route to save money. By the time you buy brand new bilsteins & new springs your almost into the cheap coilover price range which to some makes it worth going with a coilover. To me, i rather not cheap out on coilovers when i know i can get a very competent spring/strut combo for around/under the same $$. Plus you have to take into consideration the time/money to set up the coilovers & an alignment which both will need anyway.
To me an Evo isn't a car that should have cheap coilovers put on just to be dumped for a look. I say figure out what you really want, figure your budget, & do what fits for the long term of the car & your ownership. It may not be worth spending over a grand on coilovers if you will never need what they will provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #46
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Morla's '06 Evo 9 SE -- So much to be done

Well I think I want to save up for coilovers because if I do decide to do the track and and race it a bit then it would be nice to have. I know I'm going to keep the car for as long as I can so if I can do some really nice coilovers right away I'd like to.

But I do see your point about how much am I actually going to need them. So I think for right now I'm just going to go with the h&r springs and if and when the time comes for coilovers I'll get them.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #47
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
Well I think I want to save up for coilovers because if I do decide to do the track and and race it a bit then it would be nice to have. I know I'm going to keep the car for as long as I can so if I can do some really nice coilovers right away I'd like to.

But I do see your point about how much am I actually going to need them. So I think for right now I'm just going to go with the h&r springs and if and when the time comes for coilovers I'll get them.
A stock evo is faster than you'll be able to drive if you decide to actually take it to an autox/HPDE. Decide what you want to do before you start buying stuff.
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #48
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
A stock evo is faster than you'll be able to drive if you decide to actually take it to an autox/HPDE. Decide what you want to do before you start buying stuff.
suspension should still be upgraded.. if plans are to grip/autox the car.. i suggest coilover/spings, rear sway bar. rear strut tower bar. you should be ok with that.
drop in filter, exhaust. up the boost, then have the car tuned and you will be plenty fast enough for some scca events. you could run low 12s with those simple engine mods
mitsuboost30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #49
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Morla's '06 Evo 9 SE -- So much to be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
Yeah I'm not going to buy anything until I am 100% sure it's what I want. I talked to the guy at gv and he said go with the springs because they more street comfortable and plus they are cheaper. I have time to decide if I ever want to take it to the track.

Also when I was at gv the guy said if I do go with springs to do the h&r because they are the most comfortable while still giving it a nice drop. So mitsuboost, you sound like you know what you're talking about with evos ( I couldve guessed by your avatar). Thanks to everyone by the way for the help. It really does help to get opinions from people who know or have had expierence before.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #50
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

TINTS!!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #51
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Looking good. Keep it up.
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #52
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Finally got my rack on the car. Looks alright but it was easy to put on.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #53
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Just got these bad boys in, can't wait to get them on:

With a warning label this big, you know they've gotta be fun (+1 to who knows what that's from)

Old 07-03-2010, 02:34 AM   #54
Evojm27
Tri-State Addict

Member #7443

My Ride:
06 Evo IX MR

Send a message via AIM to Evojm27 Send a message via MSN to Evojm27
Looks real good gonna look nice with a drop
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #55
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Glad you didn't cheap out on the springs.
Interested in these wheels at all? http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonebone0028/
What would you sell your stock ones for?

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #56
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
Glad you didn't cheap out on the springs.
Interested in these wheels at all? http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonebone0028/
What would you sell your stock ones for?
nah but thanks, I'm not a fan of bronze/gold wheels on gray.

But I do have a question for anyone and everyone:

What wheels do I put on it? I want something simple and will look clean. I was thinking of just going with Advan RD
Old 07-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #57
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

good choice on springs.. i had H&R's for alil while and they are a very nice ride and give it a nice aggressive stance..

the pic to the left is on h&r's
mitsuboost30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #58
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuboost30 View Post
good choice on springs.. i had H&R's for alil while and they are a very nice ride and give it a nice aggressive stance..

the pic to the left is on h&r's
that looks good, that's right where I want mine to be.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #59
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

So here's what I should be getting in the mail this week:
My New Wheels - Volk SE37's
APR Stuff
Perrin Rear Sway Bar
Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #60
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

PERFECT choice on the se-37s. What color did you choose? Can't wait to see it in person, don't know of any local evo's with them yet.
What you going to do with your stockies?