TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Chai01
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #22263

Shop that specialized in FD RX7

I need a shop that specialize in rotary motor.. My 95 RX7 have been sitting for 6 years without running. Need to bring it back to life.
Chai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

I've had two engines built by IR Performance and they were pretty good. There are quite a few around, but it's always a gamble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
dnasty2g
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3872

My Ride:
67 Cougar 09 GT/CS

Dunno where your located but I work in Blackwood nj and the shop next to mine is jpr imports. They specialize in rotarys. I don't have experience with them first hand as I don't own any. But I have shot the **** with them and they seem like great guys. There always busy. Might be worth a look.
Their address is 110 Harmon Dr. Suite 203 Blackwood nj

Quote:
Also id probly have a katana as well just in case of close combat with armed bandits.
dnasty2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
93rx7r1
Tri-State Addict

Member #7582

Speed 1 Allentown (formerly called KD Rotary) located near Allentown, PA would be my recommendation. They built my engine for me a few years ago & I've had nothing but great experiences with them. They know the rotary engine VERY well.
93rx7r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Chai01

Member #22263

Thank u guys for your help. I live in Philly so I'll definitely check out A1 speed in Allentown. 2nd choice would be Blackwood NJ. Let's see.. Thank u again guys
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Chai01

Member #22263

Here is my RX7.. Let's bring it back to life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20140902_155539.jpg (56.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rx7r1 View Post
That shop is a joke. They swore up and down that they could tune my MoTeC M2R and in reality, it sat there for 3 months. That whole time they were telling me that they where having trouble here and there and finally got it going great! When I had Sean go there to get it, the one with the white S15 Silvia, he said they just started tuning it; WTF! When I get the car back, I checked out the telemetry logs and it only logged maybe an hours worth of tuning. So I spent almost a $1000 only have the car sit outside in the sun and a crap tune that falls flat on it's face. Awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
93rx7r1
Tri-State Addict

Member #7582

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
That shop is a joke. They swore up and down that they could tune my MoTeC M2R and in reality, it sat there for 3 months. That whole time they were telling me that they where having trouble here and there and finally got it going great! When I had Sean go there to get it, the one with the white S15 Silvia, he said they just started tuning it; WTF! When I get the car back, I checked out the telemetry logs and it only logged maybe an hours worth of tuning. So I spent almost a $1000 only have the car sit outside in the sun and a crap tune that falls flat on it's face. Awesome!
That has not been my experience with them at all. I've been going to them for years. Not only that, but I've never had to spend anywhere near $1000 on a tuning session. That being said I'm not running a motec management system. Don't know what to tell ya there. I've never had any issues with the shop.
93rx7r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
teecap93
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23647

My Ride:
2005 Subaru STI, 1993 Mazda RX7, 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

I endorse Speed1 as well. Always great work on mine and
I agree with the tuning..no where near that for a dyno tune, but again I have a powerfc.

Out of curiousity, why have you had two motors built by IRP? Two separate cars or they keep popping?

teecap93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
teecap93
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #23647

My Ride:
2005 Subaru STI, 1993 Mazda RX7, 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

My latest dealing with Speed1 is the exact opposite of yours. My car sat for a few years, dead battery, bad gas etc. Had it flatbeded up bc it ran rough so I assumed it might have reset the powerfc to a base map so they were gonna dyno tune it again. They got it there changed the gas and plugs and they did a few pulls and it kept the tune from years ago. I only got charged for the new plugs they put in. They could've easily charged me for a new tune but they didn't even hit me for the time they spent on the car. To me that speaks a lot about Dave and his shop.

teecap93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
davin
Tri-State Addict

Member #21791

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rx7r1 View Post
That has not been my experience with them at all. I've been going to them for years. Not only that, but I've never had to spend anywhere near $1000 on a tuning session. That being said I'm not running a motec management system. Don't know what to tell ya there. I've never had any issues with the shop.
I spent $500 for towing from DC to there and $500 for tuning. They are really the only ones that could tune it right for a rotary, or so I thought. Now ShaneT is doing remote tuning for like a grand and does pretty much all the tuning for the world record cars around the world.