TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Wife pulled over by unmarked car on I476 this evening

My wife, who is already going under a lot of stress, came up on a slow moving car going north in the left land on I476 south of the Lansdale exit. The car, which she described as having antennas and "looked like a cop car" moved over, she passed, and then 30 - 60 secs later he turned on the lights and she pulled over.

The supposed officer asked for her license, registration, insurance. Started asking her how often she drives road and where she gets off at. Says there's no need to do 70 - 75 mph because the distance is only X miles and saves her almost no time... basically implying don't speed its unsafe you don't make up any time. My wife says he didn't go back to his car with her information or anything, just told her about all the accidents that happen on 476 and implying speeding is unsafe with the whole "you only need to go 10 miles so 65 vs 70 mph doesn't do anything for you", etc. of course she was really upset and crying. He ultimately let her go.

My concern is this - she was never shown a badge, number, or anything. It was an unmarked car and she noted that it did not have municipal license plates. Not that she would have tailed it because of that, but she had noticed. She said he used the word "lieutenant" and "state police" but showed her no ID nor did he go back to his car. I assume he wasn't in uniform and I don't know that he mentioned his name but he may have. This concerns me because I would assume an unmarked cop, especially, would show ID to prove that they're a cop. I don't want to question her about the incident because she's very anxious about this sort of thing already (she reads about fake cops pulling women over, etc.) and I don't want her getting all freaked out.

So, I guess my question is, should I be concerned? He had her license, asked her if she drives this route often, "About how many miles do you think are between x and y exits...". He gave her no written warning or ticket and perhaps I should just be thankful but it also makes me nervous that he had her full ID who knows who the heck he is/was? Do unmarked cars have civilian or "non municipal" plates?

Am I being paranoid?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by SoStock92; 10-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
SoStock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

I would go with paranoia

State Police run unmarked cars on pretty much all the highways in Pa, no big deal. And if he was PSP brass most of them do drive unmarked cars. I don't know if you've ever noticed but PA Troopers don't even wear badges when they are in full uniform. Cars don't have to be plates with municipal tags it's not uncommon for them to have regular format license plates. From what you said it sounds exactly as you said, a PSP Lt. stopped her for whatever reason and sent her on her way. No big deal.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
SoStock92
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1721

My Ride:
92 BMW 525, 95 BMW 525, 87 BMW 325, 95 BMW 530

Send a message via AIM to SoStock92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I would go with paranoia

State Police run unmarked cars on pretty much all the highways in Pa, no big deal. And if he was PSP brass most of them do drive unmarked cars. I don't know if you've ever noticed but PA Troopers don't even wear badges when they are in full uniform. Cars don't have to be plates with municipal tags it's not uncommon for them to have regular format license plates. From what you said it sounds exactly as you said, a PSP Lt. stopped her for whatever reason and sent her on her way. No big deal.
Thanks Bane - that helps put me at ease some. I've never been stopped by a state police officer, only local, so I don't really know what to expect especially in regards to the unmarked car. It was on I476 so not some off-the-beaten-track back road or anything. It'd be pretty ballsy to pull someone over in a "looks like a cop car" on I476 at rush hour... just paranoid her and I both! Thanks again.