TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
FC Josh 11
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #395

My Ride:
2002 honda civic ex

Send a message via AIM to FC Josh 11
Motor swap

I got a silver 1997 honda civic dx.........and it burns oil.....so my mechanic told me i will need a new or rebuilt motor..........n e body no n e place where i could get a v-tech motor for cheap and that will run good?
FC Josh 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

how bad does it burn oil? like your adding oil every drive?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
LilWheezy75
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #606

Send a message via AIM to LilWheezy75
its josh (fcjosh11) it burns fairly fast i dunno i really want a new motor cuz i can't deal with this SOHC engine i need sumtin wit more power
Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

i am not familiar with honda motors by any means but ive read my fair share of honda motor swap articles and honestly, if you have the know how and the way honda comes off to me, its not a total headache but not the easiest thing in the world either.

To put it bluntly, if you are unsure of where to find a motor or what to swap, this option may not be for you. thats not to offend you but the work (or cash if you wanna pay a shop) would be beyond your reach. (That doesn't mean you can't learn, but if this is your only car and this is all new, you don't want to be left walking)

Are you sure that the oil leak is not fixable? My motor burns oil...sorta, and it's a matter of some gasket changes and new lifters.

If you are still looking to get a motor and swap, I would visit some honda specific sites such as a site i moderate (lol yep, i do) www.hondahookup.com or honda-tech.com. From there, they can advise the easiest or most bang for your buck swap. If I was going to swap, I'd go right after the new generation K motors. Be forewarned, I am unfamiliar with HT (but i hear stories) so present yourself in a manner in which you'd like to learn. Unfort., this is one of the few sites someone will answer without some form of "stfu n00b drop a 351 winsor in thur j00'd rock" or "go away."
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd
i am not familiar with honda motors by any means but ive read my fair share of honda motor swap articles and honestly, if you have the know how and the way honda comes off to me, its not a total headache but not the easiest thing in the world either.

To put it bluntly, if you are unsure of where to find a motor or what to swap, this option may not be for you. thats not to offend you but the work (or cash if you wanna pay a shop) would be beyond your reach. (That doesn't mean you can't learn, but if this is your only car and this is all new, you don't want to be left walking)

Are you sure that the oil leak is not fixable? My motor burns oil...sorta, and it's a matter of some gasket changes and new lifters.

If you are still looking to get a motor and swap, I would visit some honda specific sites such as a site i moderate (lol yep, i do) www.hondahookup.com or honda-tech.com. From there, they can advise the easiest or most bang for your buck swap. If I was going to swap, I'd go right after the new generation K motors. Be forewarned, I am unfamiliar with HT (but i hear stories) so present yourself in a manner in which you'd like to learn. Unfort., this is one of the few sites someone will answer without some form of "stfu n00b drop a 351 winsor in thur j00'd rock" or "go away."
since a mechanic said it needs a rebuild or a swap, sounds like a problem with most likely rings...

k series swaps are not bolt on, and also cost alot of $$$

if u wanna be cheap, just look for another d16y7 non vtec motor...

www.superhonda.com
www.honda-acura.net
www.civicland.com
www.d-series.org
www.honda-tech.com
www.hondaswap.com
www.sohchonda.com
www.thepartstrader.com
www.ebay.com
www.hmotorsonline.com
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
99ElectronBlueCivicSi
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #273

Send a message via AIM to 99ElectronBlueCivicSi
also check www.passwordjdm.com if u want see if u can find a b18c5 (ITR motor) and see if thats anywhere near ur price range that would be the quickest N/A setup besides a k20 that u could get for cheap
99ElectronBlueCivicSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
sfd
Tri-State Addict

Member #405

My Ride:
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd

since a mechanic said it needs a rebuild or a swap, sounds like a problem with most likely rings...

k series swaps are not bolt on, and also cost alot of $$$

if u wanna be cheap, just look for another d16y7 non vtec motor...

www.superhonda.com
www.honda-acura.net
www.civicland.com
www.d-series.org
www.honda-tech.com
www.hondaswap.com
www.sohchonda.com
www.thepartstrader.com
www.ebay.com
www.hmotorsonline.com
not much is "bolt in". I was simply giving my opinion on my choice motor. And he wants something "faster" and vtec. Otherwise I'd say a mildly modified/turbo'd d series isn't such a bad thing.

and the rings could be, but how many mechanics do you trust right away or know that are just full of it? (obviously im sure you know good people but you know what i mean)