TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic > General Entertainment
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to poisonivory
***The OFFICIAL MMA thread***

After discussion with another member, we concluded it would be a good idea to make an MMA thread rather than have someone post a new thread every time there is a fight coming up.

This thread is for all things MMA (UFC, Affliction, EliteXC, MFC, DREAM, WEC, TUF, etc)

I would say no figther bashing, but there is no point. If we all agreed, then discussing it would be pointless. Try to keep it opiniated and please keep the doucheyness to a minimum.

OK..... with UFC 86, UFC Fight Night 14, and Affliction: Banned out of the way, the next up is this weekend's CBS/Showtime event for EliteXC. Pretty solid card.

I am looking forward to Lawler vs Smith-2 (title fight). This should be a great fight. Both heavy handed and the last one was a war.

I'm also ready to see Nick Diaz put up or shut up. He talks a lot of crap, but hey, if he backs it up, you can't hate him too much.....as a fighter. lol His opponent Thomas Denny is no scrub so that should be another good one.

The goat Nick Thomspon and Jake Shields (title fight) should also be amazing. Nick Thompson is a beast he handed my boy Eddie Alvarez his one and only loss.

Anyway, here is your place to discuss all things MMA. Enjoy your stay.

NOTE: If you don't follow MMA and have nothing productive to say, I ask that you keep yourself out of the thread and don't load it with BS. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by poisonivory; 07-25-2008 at 01:42 PM.
poisonivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

I enjoyed watching Forrest Griffin pound on Rampage. Hearing that Rampage got arrested a little bit later made it all so much better.

my .02

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

I also was praying for Griffin to win that. I respect Rampage though as a fighter, and if his recent activity had been the result of him being an a-hole I probably wouldn't feel bad. However, after reading several articles on the things that have happened, it appears Rampage is in serious need of psychiatric help. They say he's been depressed and dillusional, even before that fight took place. And I'll never talk down about a person that is in actual need of help, so I hope he gets stuff worked out. He is still a great fighter despite his loss and I'd hate to see his fighting career end on this note.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
dnasty2g
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3872

My Ride:
67 Cougar 09 GT/CS

Yea I was glad Forrest won. I thought it was funny that Rampage was getting into trouble at first. I've been hear some stories tho. He really does need some help..

Anyway, Anyone on here gonna be in the NAGA tourney in wildwood? I was gonna enter but I've been lazy since vacation and haven't really gotten to the gym. I'll prolly still go to watch tho if anyone is gonna be there.

Quote:
Also id probly have a katana as well just in case of close combat with armed bandits.
dnasty2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyREX View Post
I enjoyed watching Forrest Griffin pound on Rampage. Hearing that Rampage got arrested a little bit later made it all so much better.

my .02
I wouldnt go so far as to say pounded on him, but he definitly outsmarted Jackson all through out the fight.

Personally, I am looking forward to the next couple of UFC PPVs coming up. Evans and Liddel is shaping up to be a great fight (#1 contender spot to fight Forrest), and also GSP vs Fitch should be awesome too.

Hopefully, Brock also shows a good outing in UFC again, and he can start getting a strong career going for himself, since he does not want to be involved in WWE, and he never was picked for a pro football team.

Also, does anyone know when Cro Cop and Amir should be fighitng again (obviiously, not against each other)?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

[QUOTE=dnasty2g;987125] I thought it was funny that Rampage was getting into trouble at first. I've been hear some stories tho. He really does need some help..QUOTE]

at first i think everyone thought it was funny...like "what an a$$hole". But yea, he needs serious help, so it stopped being funny.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGilb2007 View Post
Also, does anyone know when Cro Cop and Amir should be fighitng again (obviiously, not against each other)?
I haven't seen anything upcoming for Amir.

Cro-cop just had knee surgery and he WILL be fighting in September, but he hasn't disclosed any details. I know he is fighting in DREAM now, not sure what else he is doing.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnasty2g View Post
Anyway, Anyone on here gonna be in the NAGA tourney in wildwood? I was gonna enter but I've been lazy since vacation and haven't really gotten to the gym. I'll prolly still go to watch tho if anyone is gonna be there.
I was looking to, but I twisted my knee awhile back and I'm still recovering a little bit i was hoping to fight last weekend at my gym too which sucks. I was thinking of going down but other plans popped up.

yeah the elite xc fight should be a lot better than the last one. and if you got showtime they're showing three fights before the cbs part, dude from my gym will be fighting on it, Wilson Reis, really nasty.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Send a message via AIM to TGilb2007 Send a message via MSN to TGilb2007 Send a message via Yahoo to TGilb2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivory View Post
I haven't seen anything upcoming for Amir.

Cro-cop just had knee surgery and he WILL be fighting in September, but he hasn't disclosed any details. I know he is fighting in DREAM now, not sure what else he is doing.
Sick.... his leg strength and speed is just..... good god.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

yea no shyt...that dude is gonna snap somebody's neck with a leg kick one day. lol I just hope he recovers 100% from his surgery to his knee, because his leg kicks are his bread and butter.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Yea... its odd how it was a head kick (similar to his own) that actually KO'd him.

I am sure though he has been, and will be, training in other forms as well, just to he has more then one weapon to compete
Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

Quote:
Yea... its odd how it was a head kick (similar to his own) that actually KO'd him.

I am sure though he has been, and will be, training in other forms as well, just to he has more then one weapon to compete
supposedly cro cop has a brown belt in bjj, i was really hoping to see the grappling match he was supposed to be in in dream 4 with ralek gracie, sucks he had to pull out and get the surgery done. but yeah he needs to stick to organizations that use a ring since it's better for his style, easier to corner people in a ring than an octagon. i wanna see the old lhk ko artist bad..."right leg hospital, left leg cemetary"

and if you got like an hour to burn here's a lil documentary with cro cop, some funny **** in here too, especially the part about his dog

http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/8844...o_CroCop_Story
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

This just announced.... Patrick Cote vs Anderson Silva at UFC 90 for the middleweight title.

Cote stated in an interview that "he isn't scared of Silva", and thinks that he can knock him out in one punch??? I kind of find that hard to believe.

Should be a great fight though.

Thoughts, opinions?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

didn't he have a tough time with almeida? and that night almeida didn't look good at all, I dunno i don't think there's anybody right now in the mw division that's goin to give silva any problems. everybody has a punchers chance, but more than likely silva will steamroll through anybody in that division right now
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

i agree...anyone has the "chance" to beat silva if they find the right opportunity and take advantage of it. But that Silva's game....he exposes your flaws before you expose his. If you leave an opening, you better believe he's gonna bust your ass. So Cote better bring his A++ game if he thinks he's gonna take Silva out.

I like many others thought Yushin Okami had the next crack at Silva. I know he hurt his hand, but this fight is months away still. I guess he doesnt want to take any chances.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
Quote:
This just announced.... Patrick Cote vs Anderson Silva at UFC 90 for the middleweight title.

Cote stated in an interview that "he isn't scared of Silva", and thinks that he can knock him out in one punch??? I kind of find that hard to believe.

Should be a great fight though.

Thoughts, opinions?
Silva is a beast! Hes been just walking through oppenants. I dont know if theres anyone out there at 185 that can touch him. Unless someone gets a one punch knockout. Even at 205.....Whos out there that could Silva a true test?
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drstunner View Post
Silva is a beast! Hes been just walking through oppenants. I dont know if theres anyone out there at 185 that can touch him. Unless someone gets a one punch knockout. Even at 205.....Whos out there that could Silva a true test?
There are quite a few people that can really start to push him to his limits in the 205 class. I think that if Rampage can get his head together, he can be a tough fight for Silva. Power, good ground and pound, and a STRONG right hand (remember, he is the only one to KO Chuck Liddel, and he did it twice). Forrest can also be a tough guy to go against, since he just has the heart of a lion, and will not stop.

I also think that after some more training, and time to compete in the ring for a couple of years, Amir could be a good contender as well.

But yea, Silva is just scary good. He has eaten some really tough hits in his career, and ALWAYS finishes his fights. The toughest thing really about fighting him is just that he is REALLY strong all the way around. He can stand and strike with some of the best (See the Irvin fight), but is also amazing at ground defense as well. Toughest guy to take to the mat since his BJJ skills are just unreal.

Last edited by TGilb2007; 07-28-2008 at 10:35 AM.
TGilb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
poisonivory
Tri-State Addict

Member #5979

My Ride:
2010 Lancer GTS

thats the thing about Silva. In almost any fight you'll hear the commentators say "so and so will be looking to take this to the ground", or "so and so would love for this fight to remain on the feet to throw some power punches"...with Silva, regardless of your strategy, chances are you are outmatched: on the ground, on the feet, in the clinch, etc.

I'm sure there are people that will give Silva a run, but I don't see anyone beating him right now, as long as he's healthy. Irvin is one of the hardest hitters around, he has KO wins that lasted 8 seconds and 9 seconds. Two of the quickest KO's in UFC history, and in less that 2 minutes Silva put him down hard, AFTER moving up in weight. The guy is a legend.

I can't wait for the day that someone beats him. I love Silva, he's one of my favorite fighters. But I guarantee you, if and when Silva does lose in the UFC, it will be a brawl for the books.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
TGilb2007
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3189

My Ride:
2006 Chevy Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivory View Post
thats the thing about Silva. In almost any fight you'll hear the commentators say "so and so will be looking to take this to the ground", or "so and so would love for this fight to remain on the feet to throw some power punches"...with Silva, regardless of your strategy, chances are you are outmatched: on the ground, on the feet, in the clinch, etc.

I'm sure there are people that will give Silva a run, but I don't see anyone beating him right now, as long as he's healthy. Irvin is one of the hardest hitters around, he has KO wins that lasted 8 seconds and 9 seconds. Two of the quickest KO's in UFC history, and in less that 2 minutes Silva put him down hard, AFTER moving up in weight. The guy is a legend.

I can't wait for the day that someone beats him. I love Silva, he's one of my favorite fighters. But I guarantee you, if and when Silva does lose in the UFC, it will be a brawl for the books.
I don't think that when Silva loses, its gonna be a submission, or even a TKO. Someone is going to have to get that one lucky shot, and KO him, or somehow, get it to the cards.

And yea, not to take anything away from Irvin, but for Silva to move up a class, he just had to drop less weight. Normally, he is around 215-220 when not cutting down for a fight. So, instead of cutting 30lbs or so to fight, he is only cutting around 10-20.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
massone
Tri-State Addict

Member #2256

My Ride:
93 300zxtt, 07 Legacy gt

Quote:
I don't think that when Silva loses, its gonna be a submission, or even a TKO. Someone is going to have to get that one lucky shot, and KO him, or somehow, get it to the cards.
maybe a scissor leg takedown to heelhook?